New speakers for my Naim kit.

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi from a newcomer here, but not to the world of hifi.

I currently have a Naim NAC102 and 2 NAP180s, along with a HiCap and NAPSC, being fed by a CDX. My current speakers are Monitor Audio Studio 20SEs that I've have for quite a few years now.

I've recently got 2 pairs of Monitor Audio GS10s which are on my AV system, and have noticed how good they are. I hooked them up to the Naim kit and was very pleased by the result.

I have a question - I'm thinking of upgrading the speakers on the Hifi, and was thinking of getting a pair of GS60s, as I like the 10s a lot, but now we have the GX range and I'm wondering whether I should be looking at a pair of GX100s instead.

My musical taste goes from cheesy pop, to rock, classical, reggae, soul, so I need a good all round speaker - pretty much most music really.

I wondered if anyone could give me some guidance, please. I'm in Torbay, and have no hifi shops nearby for a demo, so wanted to know what I should be thinking of when I travel to arrange the demo.

I like both the high and low end that the GS10s produce, they seem better performers than the SE20s, which has greatly surprised me. I'm not restricting myself to Monitor Audio, but I have to admit I'm a big fan of theirs.

Thanks for any input you may give me.

A

Anonymous

Thanks for that.

I did mean Monitor Audio GX300s - sorry bit of a typo there - or maybe my brain wasn't in gear!

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
Tony Cannings said:
I've recently got 2 pairs of Monitor Audio GS10s which are on my AV system, and have noticed how good they are. I hooked them up to the Naim kit and was very pleased by the result.

If you already know the GS10s suit the equipment, and you like them, how about getting another pair? (Only just over 2 hours left.)

I don't know if £700 is a good price but if it is, then why not shortcut all the hassle and get another pair? That prices includes the bespoke stands apparently.

ps I am nothing to do with the seller or the goods. Just can't see the point in going through the 50,000 suitable speaker options for your system when you already know what you like.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
Tony Cannings said:
Thanks for that.

I did mean Monitor Audio GX300s - sorry bit of a typo there - or maybe my brain wasn't in gear!

That changes things a bit as it means that you have £3k to play with.

As well as Neat, you should also listen to MA Platinum PL100 and Kef Reference 201/2.....these are standmounts but well worth a listen. There is also the PMC FB1i.

Take any other suggestions you get and do as much demoing as possible.......then bring your preference home for a trial as well, as they can sound very different in a change of enviroment.

jockey.wilson

Jan 27, 2009
Visit site
I used to have a similar setup to yours (Naim Cd3.5/102/140). I used that system with my current Dynaudios and have not felt the need to upgrade the speakers. Dynaudio speakers make a fantastic combo with olive Naim kit... If I had money going spare I would get myself a pair of Contour 1.4S in birds-eye maple!!!

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
I've never really been much of a fan of the GS60's myself, preferring the GS20's and GS10's. The newer GX's are quite noticeably better than the GS's, possessing a smoother treble, but still retaining that MA liveliness. Overall they're much better balanced too, with a speed that the GS's couldn't match. As you like MA, give them a go. You could also try the Platinum PL100's too, which have played a big part in how the new GX's sound, and are different enough to warrant auditioning.

Judging by the sort of sound you seem to like, you could try the KEF Reference 201/2, as mentioned, and also the PMC FB1i and B&W PM1. You could also try the ProAc Response D18 and Spendor A6, all of which will work well with the Naim, but will be smoother in comparison to the MA's. It'll also be worth looking at the Neat range of speakers, which are designed around Naim amplification, albeit the more recent designs.

A

Anonymous

Thanks for that David. I have to admit I hadn't thought of the PL100s, although I'll now give them a listen. I guess to be honest I was thinking more of the GX300s, and if I were to move to the PL range, I might find myself doing what I did when I got the 20SEs - aiming to spend a certain amount (£1000) at the time, and ending up spending £2400, so I could see myself being drawn to the PL200s, which I think I'd have to get finance for!

I'm not in a real hurry, so I'll see what I can audition. I'm headed to Wrexham in October - any chance I could stop by your way and listen to some of your recommendations?

Tony Cannings said:
Hi from a newcomer here, but not to the world of hifi.

I currently have a Naim NAC102 and 2 NAP180s, along with a HiCap and NAPSC, being fed by a CDX. My current speakers are Monitor Audio Studio 20SEs that I've have for quite a few years now.

I have a question - I'm thinking of upgrading the speakers on the Hifi, and was thinking of getting a pair of GS60s, as I like the 10s a lot, but now we have the GX range and I'm wondering whether I should be looking at a pair of GX100s instead.

My musical taste goes from cheesy pop, to rock, classical, reggae, soul, so I need a good all round speaker - pretty much most music really.

I wondered if anyone could give me some guidance, please. I'm in Torbay, and have no hifi shops nearby for a demo, so wanted to know what I should be thinking of when I travel to arrange the demo.

I like both the high and low end that the GS10s produce, they seem better performers than the SE20s, which has greatly surprised me. I'm not restricting myself to Monitor Audio, but I have to admit I'm a big fan of theirs.

Thanks for any input you may give me.

Hi Tony

Your Studio 20SE speakers are still excellent and i feel there is still quite alot of performance potential left in them for you to unlock. Therefore i'll recommend that you should also look at the possibility of improving your electronics in the first instance. Staying with the Naim Olive range firstly look at the NAC82 or the legendary NAC52. Then add the XPS power supply to the CDX and finally a single NAP250 (which i always found to be better then two NAP180's) or NAP135's. Or from Naim's existing range the NAC282, XPS2 and NAP250. I feel you will find this route will give you a bigger return on your investment.

Btw, how long have you had your Naim components?

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

A

Anonymous

Thanks Rick, I hadn't thought of changing any of the amplification, but I guess it's a possibility.

With a view to doing it in stages, would it be possible, say to swap out the NAP180s for a NAP250, and still use the NAC102 for a while? I guess if that is possible, I could then think about changing the preamp further down the line.

If I moved along that path, I'm guessing that all the things I like about my current Naim kit will only be bettered? I love the timing and the dynamics, the detail and the way it all sounds so natural.

A

Anonymous

You could try listening to a Hi-Line; it goes really well with the CDX.

A

Anonymous

Hey, thanks to all for your suggestions. I'm beginning to think that maybe I should go down the amplifier upgrade path first - I have to admit I like the idea of the NAC282 with a NAP250, but think I'd have to do it one piece at a time. Anyone any idea if that would be possible with my existing kit, say swapping the NAC102 for the 282 first, then in a (hopefully short) while, swapping the 2 NAP 180s for a single 250?

Thanks for your input.

A

Anonymous

Harbeth are a very popular speaker with Naim amps, theres not a duff speaker in their range. If you can afford the Compact 7ES theres not a bad review out there.

noogle

Jul 29, 2010
Visit site
Looking at where you're heading, have you heard Ovator S-400s on the end of a 282 and 250? I think there's a Naim dealer in Exeter. If they're a step too far, maybe wait for the forthcoming S-200s?

TRENDING THREADS