New speakers for a small room/study?

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi all,

I'm moving my stereo system to the study, a 2x2 meter room. Main components are an Arcam A75 amp, Arcam CD72 and a pair of Kef Q55.2, clearly too large for the room.

The speakers will have to be placed in the corners of the room, so I guess I should be looking at small sealed or front ported speakers?

So far I've looked (not listened) to Audioengine's passive speakers and MA BR2 (maybe too big for the room?). I'm looking to spend £200ish.

Any more suggestions?

Thanks in advance for you help ;)

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
Seeing as you already have KEF, why not try the iQ10's? They'll be similar to your current speakers, but with a less low end, which would be preferable in a smaller room, but you may feel these are still a little too big. If so, try a pair of Quad Lite 2's.

A

Anonymous

I know these are a bit more expensive, well double actually.... The Leema Xero speakers are fantastic, small, and sound wonderful.

They are £399 delivered i most places. I recommend them if you can stretch to them.

The BR2's are a bit boomy for my liking. The tannoy F1 customs were much better for a smaller room, and they are below £150

matthewpiano

Or even the 9.1s. I once tried mine on the end of an Arcam CD17/A18 and they worked very well indeed. They image like nothing else at or near the price and the midrange and treble are to die for. They are only £100 now, are a much more complete speaker than the Tannoy F1 and far better balanced than the MA BR2.

A

Anonymous

Thanks for all the feedback above ;)

Has anyone listened to the Kef IQ10s in such a small room?ÿ

I do like my Q55.2s so their little brother sort of make sense, but not sure if they would work..

Cheersÿ

A

Anonymous

a room of 2mx2m is small ... perhaps look at spending your £200 budget on a good pair of headphones?

bay24

Aug 13, 2007
Visit site
there have been a few pairs of avi neutron iv and v on fleabay lately for between £200-£300 whch I think are great for the money. They are rear porter but seem to like being quite close to the wall. I was also quite impressed withe the smaller quad speakers but not sure which model they were. Second hand epos m5 could be an option too. Not sure how they would sound with your system though

A

Anonymous

dim_span:a room of 2mx2m is small ... perhaps look at spending your £200 budget on a good pair of headphones?ÿ

Makes sense, but I already own a number of headphones ranging from etymotics, AKG to Headphile upgraded Grados, driven by a HeadAmp GLite amp. The headphone system is what I always use when working, leaving the main system to gather dust in the lounge. As the lounge is getting the home cinema treatment I thought to move the stereo kit into the study so it can actually be used, and save me from wearing headphones for most of the day.

But you're right, the rooms in very small. I'm wondering if a pair of small satellite speakers would be more suitable (MS Alumni, MA R90HD or V10, etc)?

A

Anonymous

I wouldnt spend a lot of money for the speakers in this room, its just too small to justify.

I have wharfedales diamond 9.0 in my dining room, which are a good speaker for £50.

Id suggest get a good highly praised, upto £150 max, front ported speaker.

A

Anonymous

Bay24 is spot on, AVI Neutron. You'll have to have a hunt around to find some at the exact budget but you can. They're amazing little speakers.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts