New speaker stands - should I spend money on new ones?

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Your thoughts would appreciated.Slowly but surely I have improved what I felt were the weak links in my HiFi. I currently use:

- Macbook (Spotify Premium)

- Optical Cable (What HifI winners 2009)

- Arcam rDac

- Exposure XV amp and speaker cable (old skool but outstanding even after 20 years of use)

- B@W 685 speakers

- Target speaker stands (no other details) (given to me 15 years back)

Would I be right to single out the speaker stands as my weak link which if replaced would make a tangible difference to my system? Any suggestions with my set up in mind? Many thanks.

roger06

Dec 23, 2007
Visit site
Well I'm prepared to be contradicted, but I reckon as long as the current stands are stable then their age is irrelevent and changing them will make very little difference.

I have £950 Dynaudio Audience 52SEs on Atacama stands I bought in '94. I want to change them as I don't particularly like the way they look (and the wife hates them) but I don't reckon a newer pair will make a difference to sound.

There's probably a lot more you can do in the room in terms of positioning etc that'll make a bigger difference than changing stands.

T

the record spot

Yep, what the man above said. As long as they're supported and not wobbling around the place, no need to spend the additional money.

A

Anonymous

Many thanks. Funny about the wife. I have the same issue........."ugly" is a frequent comment. I will save my money I think.

A

Anonymous

Lawrie1:Many thanks. Funny about the wife. I have the same issue........."ugly" is a frequent comment. I will save my money I think.

Maybe she'd prefer some nice wooden ones?
emotion-21.gif

A

Anonymous

Very nice........But imho I think you would get better sound from some sand filled metal ones.

Also being sand filled will make them more stable. Someone is bound to accidently knock them and unless there is some weight to stop it........

Of course these could be filled.......?

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
Marnie:Very nice........But imho I think you would get better sound from some sand filled metal ones.

Also being sand filled will make them more stable. Someone is bound to accidently knock them and unless there is some weight to stop it........

Of course these could be filled.......?

Yes the centre column can be filled.

WHF liked them...

http://whathifi.com/Review/Custom-rc60-Deluxe/

...and only knocked a star off in favour of Partington Super Dreadnoughts (that typically cost £75 more than the rc60s and look ugly!)

I had no idea these Custom rc60s existed until PhilPub's link and photo above. Thanks Phil.

Hmmm light oak.

A

Anonymous

No worries. Yes, they're fillable but I opted to get them sent out already made up. American white oak is obviously a good heavy wood cos they feel pretty darn solid. I've done the good old blu-tack trick and the speaker/stand makes a very stable unit. Maybe not completely toddler-at-ramming-speed proof but that's not an issue for me, and in all honesty sonically I can't imagine I'd get a very different sound out of the speakers with any other arrangement.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts