New speaker cable

jcarruthers

Jan 29, 2013
Visit site
My thrifty ways a few years ago have come back to haunt me — the "just enough length" speaker cable is now too short after purchasing some stands and moving bits around.

Suggestions on some new cable? I don't find much wrong with the Chord stuff but I've never auditioned cables before.

You can probably put me in the cable pessimist camp but if I were to ask for anything it would be for a bit more "attack"

abacus

Go to your dealer and ask to demo some speaker cable at various prices, do the test blindfolded, (Or walk out of the room when they are changed over so that you cannot see which is which) then when you find out (As everybody that tests blind does) that there is no difference between them, buy the cheapest. (Alternatively pop down B & Q or similar and pick up some nice thick cable from there)

Hope this helps

Bill

skutters

Feb 10, 2013
Visit site
I have just bought some thick multi strand OFC cable from Maplins to use with my newly bought Harbeth P3esr speakers and it works a treat, absolutely no difference from the £30 a metre cable they were using at the dealers when i auditioned the speakers.

Regards Kev.

RobinKidderminster

May 27, 2009
Visit site
Agreed skutters that decent ofc is fine tho it is a common 'discussion' here, some able to differentiate different cables. However, I would never trust that a dealer demo and a home installation can ever be identical when trying to identify the indisputable smaller changes that cables may cause. Please accept this as an opinion and not critisism since the only important thing is your satisfaction with your system.
Cheers

Triggy

Jan 24, 2005
Visit site
Hmm., different speaker cables do sound different!

I've heard the difference and made my choice accordingly!

You pays your money and takes your chance!

If you enjoy what you hear, that's great!

Sorted!

jcarruthers

Jan 29, 2013
Visit site
Thanks for all your replies.

To be honest I don't mind paying for decent speaker cable — it usually looks good and is nicely finished — but I am a skeptic for anything that costs £££

jcarruthers

Jan 29, 2013
Visit site
BigH > have you got a link to the Van Damme 4mm stuff?

Looking at the WHF award winner — it's even cheaper than stated as the price is for bi-wire. You can get the 14/2 stuff for £3.45 a metre.

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
skutters said:
I have just bought some thick multi strand OFC cable from Maplins to use with my newly bought Harbeth P3esr speakers and it works a treat, absolutely no difference from the £30 a metre cable they were using at the dealers when i auditioned the speakers.

Regards Kev.

Did you order it from Maplins and then take it to the dealer to try against their cable?

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
Triggy said:
Hmm., different speaker cables do sound different!

I've heard the difference and made my choice accordingly!

You pays your money and takes your chance!

If you enjoy what you hear, that's great!

Sorted!

Yes but some of those "hifi" cables are seriously overpriced.

I have read 4 articles and posts by speakers manufacturers who tend to agree about expensive cables.

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
jcarruthers said:
BigH > have you got a link to the Van Damme 4mm stuff?

Looking at the WHF award winner — it's even cheaper than stated as the price is for bi-wire. You can get the 14/2 stuff for £3.45 a metre.

Sorry just seen your post found this one:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VAN-DAMME-HIFI-SERIES-STUDIO-GRADE-SPEAKER-CABLE-4-0mm-/200606890719?pt=UK_Musical_Cables_Leads_Connectors&hash=item2eb51a3adf

To be honest the 2.5mm is fine unless you have long runs. If you want a lot you could buy from Farnells but will have to buy 50m min but works out a lot cheaper, you could even sell on the left over for a profit.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts