new speaker cable

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
i am using chord odyssey 2 between my proac tablette eight signature speakers and cambridge audio 840a.the 840a is connected to a 840 cdp using a chord anthem 2 xlr.

will changing over to epic be a good move and does anybody know if the proacs would be better off biwired.many thanks all...

A

Anonymous

not realy trying to solve any problems but after moving things around to get the best position for my speakers the cables are about a meter and a half too long.and my brother has shown an interest in having them off me.if getting the epic would show good improvments i will go for it.if biwiring suits the proacs i would think about odyssey biwire.

or i will live with the extra lenghth cable.

A

Anonymous

ive just had a look and my cables are 2 meters too long so i am going to get shorter lenghths.will the epic improve the sound or is it best to get shorter lenghths of odyssey my speakers are now six feet apart with the tv in the middle and the cable is in the way.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
If you are already happy with the sound from your speakers, then save your money and keep your existing cable. (Just cut it shorter.)

Epic Super-Twin (bi-wire) would cost about £450 - £500 for a 3.0m terminated pair which is a lot to spend unless you are absolutely certain you would get proportional improvements.

I mean "absolutely certain" as in having heard it before buying, not just asking us lot.

I could upgrade my speakers for that money and get a far more profound difference than a bit of better wire.

JoelSim

Aug 24, 2007
Visit site
chebby:
If you are already happy with the sound from your speakers, then save your money and keep your existing cable. (Just cut it shorter.)

Epic Super-Twin (bi-wire) would cost about £450 - £500 for a 3.0m terminated pair which is a lot to spend unless you are absolutely certain you would get proportional improvements.

I mean "absolutely certain" as in having heard it before buying, not just asking us lot.

I could upgrade my speakers for that money and get a far more profound difference than a bit of better wire.

I would agree with Chebby here unless you were thinking of a speaker cable upgrade that would last you a lifetime through 2 or more system upgrades. If the latter is the case then I see no reason why not, there's never been a better time to get a bargain.

I've upgraded my mains cables for that very reason (and of course SWMBO hasn't got a clue, whereas a new amp would be obvious).

ÿ

ÿ

ÿ

ÿ

ÿ

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
JoelSim:I've upgraded my mains cables for that very reason (and of course SWMBO hasn't got a clue, whereas a new amp would be obvious).

You bought from the wrong manufacturer Joel.

There are few outwardly visible differences between a Naim CD5X and a CD5i or a Nait 5i and a Nait XS.

I could spend double what my present system cost on an upgrade tomorrow and the missus would not notice. (The XS has a couple more buttons and thats it).

"SWMBO"... great to see another 'Rumpole of the Bailey' fan here. I bought the complete DVD box set of all seven series (and feature film length 'special') a few months ago. Superb.

JoelSim

Aug 24, 2007
Visit site
Well the FMJ looks different and I'm not sure that it would give me such a decent upgrade as to be worth the hassle. I think when I do upgrade it will have to be a substantial upgrade. Just speaker cable left to do on the sly which may be a bit trickier than 'behind the stand' cables. Then again she wouldn't have the first idea that cables could cost more than about £25.

ÿ

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
gofoon:
i am using chord odyssey 2 between my proac tablette eight signature speakers and cambridge audio 840a.the 840a is connected to a 840 cdp using a chord anthem 2 xlr.

will changing over to epic be a good move and does anybody know if the proacs would be better off biwired.many thanks all...

I wouldn't go above Odyssey unless you spot a good deal - ebay can dish up some good prices. The Odyssey is a brilliant speaker cable and I would have thought that you would need £2k a piece system for the Epic to show improvements on it.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts