New source, another amp or a new pre-amp?

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
My system is comprised of the following: Chord SPM 600 power amp; Sonographe (a low-end Conrad Johnson) pre-amp; Chord dac64; Martin Logan ReQuest speakers; sources: Sony BDP S350 and Apple TV.

I prefer to play cds, using the Sony as a transport.

I want to upgrade because I don't believe I'm getting the best out of my speakers, but am I better off buying a dedicated CD player as a transport to replace the Sony – can a transport make a major difference?

Should I change the Sonographe for, (perhaps) a Chord pre-amp – do pre-amps change the sound a great deal?

Or should I look for another SPM 600 and go the bi-amp route?

The system's great, but greedy ****** that I am, I'm looking for more extensive bass, better mid and sweeter treble and I believe the Logans can deliver all three if I do the right thing. But what should it be?

Thaiman

Jul 28, 2007
Visit site
The problem with using DAC is "Can you hear any different in different transports or not?" I was much happier when I didn't believe in transport but since it has been proved to me that the different in sound when changing transport can be a reasonable improvement, I am now on the look again. However different transport merely give you extra bass, the different is mainly in presentation and tonal accuratcy so in this case I would say you should look at something else.

Amp? the spm 600 is more than capable of driving ML ReQuest, I don't know much about your pre but I do know that Preamp change can make a massive different (more than source and power amp but not speakers), I don't know what you budget is but a good valve preamp look like what you are needed here. Audio Research LS17 or Mcintosh MC2200 could be worth a look.

shooter

May 4, 2008
Visit site
Second that really.

A good valve pre-amp is preferred over solid state.

And a dedicated transport, maybe something along the lines of Wadia could be worth a listen as well as whats been mentioned.

TRENDING THREADS