New Sky HD box just arrived

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi

Have just revamped my Sky broadband and phone package and the Sky deal worked out best for me. Along with Sky telephone and broadband i upgraded to an HD box as part of the deal. Ordered it last thursday, they said it should take about 10 days (on a self instal basis) and it arrived monday, all wrapped up brand new in a box as any other hi fi equipment would arrive. Took the old box out and just placed the connections into the hd box and within 15 minutes it was up and running including ringing sky and registering the card. I did notice however, that going through the menus, through the remote control was very sluggish, i had previously read about this on other sites. There was a small sticker on the box asking the installing engineer to ring Sky technical. I did this later on in the afternoon, got straight through to Sky technical who talked me through how to do it. The download took 10 to 15 minutes and now the menus work perfectly. I hope this is useful to anyone thinking of ordering Sky HD.

regards

Paul.

GazzyP

Jul 3, 2008
Visit site
Which box did you get? We got the new smaller Amstrad with the 500GB hard drive - it too was sluggish, but it must have updated on its first night as it seemed to settle down and is now 'ok' - although the menus still arent as quick as the old system.

GazzyP

Jul 3, 2008
Visit site
yes, thats the same one we got (Its a 500GB hard drive with 250GB avaialble to user - the rest is for Sky Anytime). I think its definately an improvement over the Samsung HD box we had before - in terms of picture anyway.

It does do a couple of odd things though. For example in the morning it its pumping out sound through the optical output, even though it is switched off!! And sometimes programmes on the planner do not seem to have any description info, rendering the series link usless at times.

Would you be able to post the procedure Sky talked you through to get the download, as my installer just plugged it in and left it. Thanks.

daveh75

To force an firmware update,

Switch the box off at the mains.
Press and hold the back-up button,and switch the mains back on,keeping the back up button pressed until all the lights on the box come on,you can now release the back up button.
The box is now downloading firmware(may take up to 20 mins)once it's finished,the box will go into stand-by mode, leave for a couple of minutes before switching on.

A

Anonymous

daveh75:

Press and hold the back-up button,and switch the mains back on,keeping the back up button pressed until all the lights on the box come on,you can now release the back up button.
The box is now downloading firmware(may take up to 20 mins)once it's finished,the box will go into stand-by mode, leave for a couple of minutes before switching on.

Hi Dave.

Do you have to have a telephone link to the box to carry out the upgrade?

daveh75

piobob:daveh75:

The box is now downloading firmware(may take up to 20 mins)once it's finished,the box will go into stand-by mode, leave for a couple of minutes before switching on.Hi Dave.

Do you have to have a telephone link to the box to carry out the upgrade? No, it's delivered OTA via satellite.

Though you only need to do the update if you have the old EPG.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts