New Silver 6 Speakers

Coll

May 4, 2011
Visit site
So not sure what to think of the new range. Rick at Musicraft and David at Frank Harvey say they are great but What HiFi review only gave them a 4 star review but gave the RX6 5 stars.

Andy Clough

Apr 27, 2004
Visit site
Don't want to give too much away as the December issue isn't on sale until next week (although subscribers may have it already), but the Silver 6s have many very good points, it's just that they're not true all-rounders.

Coll

May 4, 2011
Visit site
Yes, I am a subscriber and have my copy hence my comments.
I thought that the new model would get rave reviews if it is a step up and better than the old model but does not read like that to me.

Crocodile

Jan 15, 2009
Visit site
Coll said:
I thought that the new model would get rave reviews if it is a step up and better than the old model but does not read like that to me.

Maybe it's a better speaker than the RX6 but not sufficiently better to justify the price hike.

Or maybe the price hike puts it in competition with better speakers still.

Or maybe the review is wrong.

It's all only opinion anyway.

Zax89swe

Apr 19, 2011
Visit site
Man, they might be good but I thought they would achieve 5 stars, now Im gonna try to cancel my monitor audio silver 2s. Wanna see and wait for the new Atc smc 11, a good choice I guess and a more expensive one :?

Andy Clough said:
Don't want to give too much away as the December issue isn't on sale until next week (although subscribers may have it already), but the Silver 6s have many very good points, it's just that they're not true all-rounders.

Let me guess: They make music sound too poilte, lacking a little rough 'n' tumble ( don't engauge) like other price compatible speakers?

Not received the december copy yet, but that has been the criticism of past MA speakers. And the need for careful amp matching.

D

Deleted member 2457

plastic penguin said:
Andy Clough said:

Let me guess: They make music sound too poilte, lacking a little rough 'n' tumble ( don't engauge) like other price compatible speakers?

Not received the december copy yet, but that has been the criticism of past MA speakers. And the need for careful amp matching.

Against - not the most engaging or detailed listen, some rivals sound more open. Then it says also consider Tannoy Revolution DC6.

gel said:
plastic penguin said:
Andy Clough said:

Against - not the most engaging or detailed listen, some rivals sound more open. Then it says also consider Tannoy Revolution DC6.

Doesn't surprise me as my limited experience of modern MAs (GX100), although very good, they just don't engauge like the older models (GS10 and RS6).

These spoilers does give me the pip...

D

Deleted member 2457

plastic penguin said:
gel said:
plastic penguin said:
Andy Clough said:

Doesn't surprise me as my limited experience of modern MAs (GX100), although very good, they just don't engauge like the older models (GS10 and RS6).

These spoilers does give me the pip...

:)

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
Crocodile said:
Maybe it's a better speaker than the RX6 but not sufficiently better to justify the price hike.

In the hypothetical situation that it was my money, and I had to choose between the £800 RX6 and the £1000 Silver 6, I'd choose the Silver 6 every time. The difference between the two, in my opinion, isn't subtle,

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
Zax89swe said:
Man, they might be good but I thought they would achieve 5 stars, now Im gonna try to cancel my monitor audio silver 2s. Wanna see and wait for the new Atc smc 11, a good choice I guess and a more expensive one :?

Why? Have you heard the Silver 2? What did you think of them?

fr0g

Jan 7, 2008
Visit site
Zax89swe said:

The mind boggles.

Coll

May 4, 2011
Visit site
David@FrankHarvey said:
Crocodile said:

In the hypothetical situation that it was my money, and I had to choose between the £800 RX6 and the £1000 Silver 6, I'd choose the Silver 6 every time. The difference between the two, in my opinion, isn't subtle,

I have the RX6 at present and am debating if its worth upgrading to the Silver 6.
Rest of my system is Arc am FMJA19 and Audio lab 8200 CD player would this combo work well together?

Zax89swe said:
No I have not heard them, just preordered the speakers.

Hi Zax89swe

Nice one
smiley-smile.gif

Out of interest what finish have chosen for your Silver 6 speakers please?

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

Coll said:
David@FrankHarvey said:
Crocodile said:

I have the RX6 at present and am debating if its worth upgrading to the Silver 6. Rest of my system is Arc am FMJA19 and Audio lab 8200 CD player would this combo work well together?

That'll depend on your personal taste. I've always praised the combo of Arcam and MA but how the Audiolab source will influence things, couldn't say.

Regadless, a dem is highly recommended before parting with any money.

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
Coll said:
David@FrankHarvey said:
Crocodile said:

I have the RX6 at present and am debating if its worth upgrading to the Silver 6. Rest of my system is Arc am FMJA19 and Audio lab 8200 CD player would this combo work well together?

Many would normally recommend an Arcam amp to tame what they felt was a bright sounding speaker. The newer Silver range is now a little more laid back (not too much though), and while it will still work well with the A19, it is always worth trying out for yourself - unfortunately, I can't tell you what you will like.

manicm

I have a theory about the current and previous Silver series - remove that stupid tweeter grill and hear the soundstage explode. Having read the review here I don't think WHF were unfair. They gave it 4 stars, not three.

That's what I miss - a tall and wide and deep soundstage. Without that to a decent extent a 1000 quid speaker is not gonna cut it for me.

craig84

Nov 19, 2013
Visit site
This post will not help whatsoever as although I love music/hifi I don't use the hifi lingo, all I can say is that I auditioned these Friday and I didn't like the sound of them at all tbh. I chose to go with dali ikon 6's as to my ears they did everything right, the music came at me from all angles, the bass was big and exciting and the mids we're perfect along with the highs where as the ma's just didn't have that . I auditioned the Dalis before the MA's and I just wanted to go back to them. Of course this is my view and someone else would probably love them. I just felt the dali's sounded waaaaaay better than my tannoy v4s where as the MA's didn't and when I'm spending 750 more on a speaker I would expect that speaker to kick the 250 quids speakers butt. Craig

craig84 said:
This post will not help whatsoever as although I love music/hifi I don't use the hifi lingo, all I can say is that I auditioned these Friday and I didn't like the sound of them at all tbh. I chose to go with dali ikon 6's as to my ears they did everything right, the music came at me from all angles, the bass was big and exciting and the mids we're perfect along with the highs where as the ma's just didn't have that . I auditioned the Dalis before the MA's and I just wanted to go back to them. Of course this is my view and someone else would probably love them. I just felt the dali's sounded waaaaaay better than my tannoy v4s where as the MA's didn't and when I'm spending 750 more on a speaker I would expect that speaker to kick the 250 quids speakers butt. Craig

I sort of get the other posters sentiments. I own the older RS6s, and having heard the RX6 and GX100, although very good, seem to lack that something the older ones had. Have to honest and confess I don't really know what that "something" is. You instantly know when something sounds right... or wrong.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts