New separate for MA BR5s?

mattjax05

Oct 5, 2007
Visit site
Would like to squeeze the best out of the BR5s. Currently system is CA 540a v2, Beresford DAC TC7510, qed Silver Ann speaker cable, Qed 1 RCA (dac to amp) and chord crimson RCA (squeezebox to dac) music files are flac.

Any thoughts would be great. Speakers would need to remain as part of a surround system too.

Cheers.

A

Anonymous

What is it that you feel you could better?

Do you think the amp is letting the system down?

Also; what budget are you thinking of and also what music do you generally listen to?

mattjax05

Oct 5, 2007
Visit site
The amp has been known to trip out at high volumes! I'm a rnb,hip-hop,dance listener. Like the bass but also good clean vocals. I had planned to get the rs8s but changed mind due to funds and knowing I'd have to change other separates too. Budget say £200 plus whatever I sell separate for.

A

Anonymous

Ok

With your budget and the additional £££ your amp may fetch when sold I'd highly recommend the NAD C355BEE integrated or an Arcam alpha 10 via eBay (I sound like a broken record) but these 2 amps are superb and will really suot your musical tastes and speakers down to a tee

You'll also be better off without the M/A RS8's

Good speakers but they tend to be a bit too heavy with bass and the sounds gets muddled fairly easily. The M/A RS6's are a lot better but the B&W 603 S3's would work very well indeed too (if you did decide to change speakers)

If you cant stretch to the NAD C355BEE then the C352 (PD version) would work just as good or even the NAD C320BEE would be a lot better. Lower power but still with the ability to drive your speakers absolutely brilliantly and hell of a good amp still

A

Anonymous

BTW; change your speaker cable for some Chord Carnival Silverscreen and you'll hear a change in sound straight away (better, punchier bass and smoother midrange/treble)

The QED Silver Anniversary is good cable but with it being silver coated; it'll open up the BR5's top end a bit too much (more so with a C/A amp)!

mattjax05

Oct 5, 2007
Visit site
That's what I'm after, advice on subtle improvements without spending lots. Had a feeling cables may be the answer. Excellent. Cheers.

mattjax05

Oct 5, 2007
Visit site
BTW I also use a whatfedale sw150 sub for stereo too. Connected with the SA speaker cable. I like the extended bass a subwoofer offers.

mattjax05

Oct 5, 2007
Visit site
If I'm changing cable for fronts shall I change for centre (brlcr) too? I guess this speaker, as it hits the top end more through dialogue it'll also benefit?

A

Anonymous

mattjax05 said:
If I'm changing cable for fronts shall I change for centre (brlcr) too? I guess this speaker, as it hits the top end more through dialogue it'll also benefit?

Yes ideally you need the same cable all round; helps with synergy and an even tonal balance

Re the sub; it's something I'm looking in to currently. Will hopefully be having a REL T5 on home demo (if/when I get time before Christmas). Looking for it to fill out the deepest of bass tones that my BX5's dont hit; more so when listening to electronica music etc...

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts