New Roksan K2 system

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
I have been impressed recently when I heard the new Roksan's with some Kef's. Today I had to go and pick some speakers up for my tv so I thought I make use of the time and listen again.

What should have been twenty minutes ended up in over an hour. Now I'm going to eat some humble pie ... only a little ...

The K2's with Monitor Audio RS6's sounded sublime, there's no other word for it. As much as I tried to dislike the combination I just could not. It was all there, good powerful but reasonably tight bass, a nicely detailed and focused midrange and the treble was (I can't believe I'm saying this) fine too. The whole schebang just made involving, beautiful music. Not perfect, but as a system to relax to yet capable of involving at the same time it was very very good. I ended up listening to it for most of the time without noticing the electronics.

We briefly put on the Arcam A38 and matching top player just to get something to compare it to. By no means bad the sound became more midrange prominent and more importantly ... de-focused which resulted in loss of solidity and weight. It also lacked drive compared to the roksan's but treble may have been a smidgen more extended.

I still stand by what I've said since joining this forum and that's mostly my dislike for MA's midrange RS series. However, in this instance, there was clearly a lovely partnership with electronics and speakers.

Whilst I still dont like the looks of the Roksan K2's (an understatement) I'd urge anyone to listen to this sub 2k system. I'll take it home over the w/end and its between this and AVI's ADM9.1s.

PS. why is this highly annoying hi-spek banner on the right of the screen constantly intruding into my thread? I dont want to buy a Samsung LE26!

John Duncan

emotion-3.gif

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
drummerman:
I have been impressed recently when I heard the new Roksan's with some Kef's. Today I had to go and pick some speakers up for my tv so I thought I make use of the time and listen again.

What should have been twenty minutes ended up in over an hour. Now I'm going to eat some humble pie ... only a little ...

The K2's with Monitor Audio RS6's sounded sublime, there's no other word for it. As much as I tried to dislike the combination I just could not. It was all there, good powerful but reasonably tight bass, a nicely detailed and focused midrange and the treble was (I can't believe I'm saying this) fine too. The whole schebang just made involving, beautiful music. Not perfect, but as a system to relax to yet capable of involving at the same time it was very very good. I ended up listening to it for most of the time without noticing the electronics.

We briefly put on the Arcam A38 and matching top player just to get something to compare it to. By no means bad the sound became more midrange prominent and more importantly ... de-focused which resulted in loss of solidity and weight. It also lacked drive compared to the roksan's but treble may have been a smidgen more extended.

I still stand by what I've said since joining this forum and that's mostly my dislike for MA's midrange RS series. However, in this instance, there was clearly a lovely partnership with electronics and speakers.

Whilst I still dont like the looks of the Roksan K2's (an understatement) I'd urge anyone to listen to this sub 2k system. I'll take it home over the w/end and its between this and AVI's ADM9.1s.

PS. why is this highly annoying hi-spek banner on the right of the screen constantly intruding into my thread? I dont want to buy a Samsung LE26!

Should have listened to the Cambridge gear with the RS6s DM, you might have liked it!

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
drummerman:

Perhaps, I see you have that very system. Personally (and that's just me
emotion-1.gif
) I think the upper mid/treble lift of the CA's, even though lovely and clear, would have topped the MA's towards brightness with an edge. Perhaps I'm wrong but I've heard the MA's with every conceivable combination you can think of, from Naim, Rega, Arcam, Cyrus, Denon, Flying Mole etc etc and only once, apart from today, did I think they sounded good and that was with a Musical Fidelity system. The Roksans also have a fluidity and musicality which the CA's slightly lacked though they will probably play cleaner/louder when asked to.

Just shows how important system matching is as always. We also had some new KEF iQ's at the end of the roksans and whilst very good, there was'nt quite the synergy of the above.

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
drummerman:drummerman:

Perhaps, I see you have that very system. Personally (and that's just me
emotion-1.gif
) I think the upper mid/treble lift of the CA's, even though lovely and clear, would have topped the MA's towards brightness with an edge. Perhaps I'm wrong but I've heard the MA's with every conceivable combination you can think of, from Naim, Rega, Arcam, Cyrus, Denon, Flying Mole etc etc and only once, apart from today, did I think they sounded good and that was with a Musical Fidelity system. The Roksans also have a fluidity and musicality which the CA's slightly lacked though they will probably play cleaner/louder when asked to.

Just shows how important system matching is as always. We also had some new KEF iQ's at the end of the roksans and whilst very good, there was'nt quite the synergy of the above.

Always good to hear your views DM. My problem (or advantage) is that I've only been in this game for less than two years and have not heard really top systems. If I had, I might have listened to the RS6s when I first did and thought they sounded harsh. I do remember the first demo was with the Rotel RCD06 and RA05 combo and I could tell that they were not right for the speaker. The Creek Evo (my first amp) made amends. When the kids are both at school and my tracker (hallelujah) has eased my mortgage a bit, I will splash out a bit. For the moment, I love my music!

A

Anonymous

Just goes to show how peoples tastes can differ so much. I've heard RS6s a lot, compared to many things. I still insist that they are probably one of the best value for money speakers you can buy in their class. Sure they can verge on being too bright if you're not careful (ie a Rotel amp is a big no no - heard this combo once thought my ears were bleeding...) but careful system and cable matching will over come that.

Whereas the Kef IQ speakers.... well, frankly I think they're awful. Look nice and that's about it. They sound muddy, poorly controlled and poorly made (try knocking one down the side wall from top to bottom, you'll see what I mean). I've compared RS6s with IQ9s, no contest. But, of course, HiFi is subjective which is why we all love to argue about it endlessly. Oh and I haven't heard the new IQ series, but going by this months review, I'd probably hate them too!

Different strokes and all that.

A

Anonymous

RS6s are awful.

After a weekend with them I'm sure you'll get out a £20 note and tell them to get a taxi home.

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
a4quattro:
RS6s are awful.

After a weekend with them I'm sure you'll get out a £20 note and tell them to get a taxi home.

Yes I'm sure it was a fluke
emotion-2.gif
. Still, I'll give the system a go as opposed to just the speakers. Failing that it's AVI's.

drummerman:a4quattro:

RS6s are awful.

emotion-2.gif
. Still, I'll give the system a go as opposed to just the speakers. Failing that it's AVI's.

Look what you were missing DM? This just proves, yet again, any speaker worthwhile can sound tremendous if partnered correctly.

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
plastic penguin:drummerman:a4quattro:

RS6s are awful.

emotion-2.gif

Look what you were missing DM? This just proves, yet again, any speaker worthwhile can sound tremendous if partnered correctly.

That remains to be seen yet before you all get too cocky ...
emotion-11.gif

... but like I said, they sounded fine on the shop floor. I have them here for the w/end and know more in a couple of days.

drummerman:plastic penguin:drummerman:a4quattro:

RS6s are awful.

emotion-2.gif

That remains to be seen yet before you all get too cocky ...
emotion-11.gif

... but like I said, they sounded fine on the shop floor. I have them here for the w/end and know more in a couple of days.

Cockiness had nothing to do with - it's about keeping an open mind and testing your apathy.

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
I know. Never to proud to admit misjudging something. So far, I had no reason to do so with the MA's. Perhaps this time round its different ... we'll see.

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
Where to start? They are very good, especially the amplifier which has warmth, power and insight. The player is lovely too. The amplifier could do with a slightly more revealing source but in isolation the kandy player is subtle and very clean sounding, the pair making involving almost luscious music and clearly match aesthetically. Very different to the CA840's I recently had. Better? Different. Just depends how you like your sound but both combinations are imo very good value.

The RS6's did reveal the Silver range traits over extended listening, a slightly muddled midrange and shut in treble which tends to paint high frequencies with the same brush/tone ie. a bit monochromatic. It would be unfair to call it harsh though in the context of this system. Substituting the Monitor Audios for a pair of s/h MS20i's showed that there was more to the soundstage than the RS6's are capable of showing. Having said that, the MS's where clearly more light weight, loosing out on scale and drive to the RS6. I only use them as a constant I know at the moment to compare different speakers. Still, I was pleasantly surprised just how well the MA's matched with the Roksan products. I could imaging many people being very happy with this system as it really does make for fatigue free, long term involving listening.

I haven't heard the Kaspian but I think I have a pretty good idea where it will improve up on the Kandy amplifier. There is more clarity, incisiveness and transparency to be had. It is by no means severely lacking and is par of the course for this price product as far as I can tell, roughly comparable to CA's 840A though as I said, tonally they differ. It is also worth mentioning the bass, its powerful, clear, punchy and reasonably delineated but some more sophisticated (expensive) amplifier should further tighten and extend it.

To end this on a positive, this was a system that made me want to listen to music. Will I buy it? No but I could happily live with it for a while.

Hope this helps folks

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
Sorry, I haven't heard the Roksan with Rega's plastic penguin. They are very different speakers and imo certainly worth trying out with these electronics. They will probably sound more forward, energetic, probably clearer. Bass is more difficult to predict but I'd say with some conviction that there's less perceived bass. Hope this helps.

drummerman:Sorry, I haven't heard the Roksan with Rega's plastic penguin. They are very different speakers and imo certainly worth trying out with these electronics. They will probably sound more forward, energetic, probably clearer. Bass is more difficult to predict but I'd say with some conviction that there's less perceived bass. Hope this helps.

No that's fine. In your opinion, did you find the RS6's better with certain types of music than other styles or were they equally adept with all genres?

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
I don't listen to classical often but used jazz, rock and acoustic/blues with this system PP. I found the system better with former two, probably because of the slight issues with treble/midrange which had the effect of (mildly) taking the edge and focus of voices and isolated instruments. Nothing too drastic.

drummerman:I don't listen to classical often but used jazz, rock and acoustic/blues with this system PP. I found the system better with former two, probably because of the slight issues with treble/midrange which had the effect of (mildly) taking the edge and focus of voices and isolated instruments. Nothing too drastic.

Last question: would you recommend the RS6's?
emotion-5.gif

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
If you like them plastic penguin, sure
emotion-11.gif

Well made as the Roksan's are it may be worth mentioning a few operation quirks; I've never read the manual, thats probably why it took me two minutes to find the power on/off switches ... they are on the underside of the respective chassis, just behind the front panel. Nothing wrong with that, just a bit unusual.

I could'nt find a mute function. It's not actually missing but Roksan named it 'mode' on the r/c. It's good to be different.

The remote standby function only seems to work with the amplifier, not the player which, I assume, is meant to be left on permanently unless one disappears for holiday or such like but it would have been neat to include the option.

The players display is not dimmable. Again no hardship as it is so small that it is hardly readable from more than an arms length distance but the colour and layout is'nt very nice. Perhaps one for K2 v2.

The input selector is a dual button one. No problem but you need light in the room to do it as all the buttons on the front panel are the same size and the individual markings are tiny. Most people will use the (good) remote of course but there's no open/close function so you have to do it manually on the unit.

One set of speaker terminals only. No big deal but perhaps something to be aware of.

If I quoted anything wrong, apologies. A nice system.

Hope this helps.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts