New Receiver to replace pioneer vsxax3

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi Everyone, I need some advice ! i currently own a pioneer vsxax3 home cinema receiver, kef 3005 surround eggs, panasonic 42px60 plasma, and a sony rdr hxd910 hd/dvd player. I want to replace my receiver with an onkyo largely due to the fantastic reviews they get. when I got the pioneer i was quite flush, and had the room for the power (and deaf neighbours!). i dont really want to spend any more than about £400 to replace it - what would you recommend that would sound as good - if not better. I use the system mainly for movies, but I do listen to stereo via my macbook pro laptop or my ipod I have recently moved into an apartment (flat in non snob speak!), so i don't really need loads of power - just real good quality. i want to change my speakers in the near future as well, the kefs are good, but they don't sound as good as real speakers - a recommendation for some would help me as well - maybe the q-acoustics 1000 system, or tannoy mercury system - what do you think?? thanks Doodlepol !

Andy Clough

Apr 27, 2004
Visit site
Well, wouldn't argue with your decision to replace the Pioneer with one of the new Onkyo receivers, and as luck would have it the Onkyo TX-SR605 is not only our current Product of the Year, but also bang on your budget at £400. What's more, it can decode all the new high-def audio formats, so is futureproofed if you ever decide to go down the Blu-ray or HD DVD route.

As for speakers, depending on space/budget, the Tannoy Mercury F1 package would be great, but you might also want to consider the similarly-priced Monitor Audio Bronze BR2 package (£880). When you say 'real speakers', I assume you mean conventional box designs rather than a sub/sat system?

A

Anonymous

Hi Andy,

Thanks for replying - yes - traditional box design speakers is what i mean !

The kef 3005 system is ok, and looks great - but the sub is poor in my opinion. I have an old mordaunt short msw 20 sub I bought before i got the kef system, and i coupled it up just a few weeks ago. It sounds much better than the one you get with the Kef system as standard - there is more control for setting the crossover and phase - therefore you can 'join' the sound up better if that makes sense!

Would the Tannoy F1 sound good in stereo too in your opinion Andy?

The monitor audio system would be excellent, but smaller boxes would suit me better - i used to have the monitor audio silver surround set up previously - with s8's at the front and s2's at the rear with the silver centre - it was the dogs - but too big for my new neighbours in the flat - hence the new set up!!

My room is approx 14.5 ft by 11 ft wide, and square - I sit about 12ft from the screen, oh and i'd like to mount the speakers on wall brackets - or tall stylish stands - what do you think?

Thanks again Andy

Paul
Doodlepol

A

Anonymous

i replaced my pioneer amp bose acoustiass speakers lcd pioneer for the gear below the onkyo amp is great mate

A

Anonymous

nice one nokz - thanks - ! Which pioneer did u have - was it the ax3?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts