New Radiohead album, King Of Limbs - initial impressions?

A

Anonymous

Available to download Today! , a day earlier than stated for those of you like me who have pre-ordered. Am in the process of downloading as I write this - can barely contain myself.

A

Anonymous

Track Listing [ If you are interested ]

1.Bloom

2.Morning Mr Magpie

3.Little By Little

4.Feral

5.Lotus Flower

6.Codex

7.Give Up The Ghost

8.Separator

shooter

May 4, 2008
Visit site
Anyone wanting to download the album as of tomorrow can do it now, it's available early.
emotion-2.gif

6th.replicant

Oct 26, 2007
Visit site
Well spotted.
emotion-21.gif

Enjoying the music, but the DL's not exactly iTunes-friendly - no artwork, album title or band name appears. I tried select-all and dropping the jpeg into the window, but it only adds the artwork to the first track.

I assume there's not difference 'tween ALAC and WAV's sound quality?

shooter

May 4, 2008
Visit site
6th.replicant:Well spotted.
emotion-21.gif

Enjoying the music, but the DL's not exactly iTunes-friendly - no artwork, album title or band name appears. I tried select-all and dropping the jpeg into the window, but it only adds the artwork to the first track.

Agreed, for £9 you want the full package, Metadata intact and straight on to iTunes.

It's an uncompressed WAV file at 16/44.1, CD quality. I've never compared the two but they are both lossless.

Dan Turner

Jul 9, 2007
Visit site
I'm grateful that we have the option of downloading the uncompressed version, that seems like progress, but not very impressed that they have decided to charge more for it! I can't see any justification for that.

Just waiting for the music index to update on my Sonos so I can listen to it.....

eternaloptimist

Mar 29, 2009
Visit site
Am listening to track 2 as we speak!

I use J River MC 15 so not too difficult to import to library, convert to FLAC and add missing metadata. Is a bit annoying that there is only a single cover jpeg and not the album info in pdf or similar - would also have appreciated a thumbnail!

But... it is about the music and the music is good so far!

JamesOK

May 24, 2008
Visit site
SonofSun:I have to say I am a little underwhelmed. Perhaps it will be a grower.

I think all Radiohead music has an element of being a grower!

I am currently downloading it. Read in the paper the other release was going to be £33 and consist of CD, Vinyl and some artwork too - so I may get that when it comes out.

SonofSun

Mar 11, 2010
Visit site
JamesOK:
SonofSun:I have to say I am a little underwhelmed. Perhaps it will be a grower.

I think all Radiohead music has an element of being a grower!

I am currently downloading it. Read in the paper the other release was going to be £33 and consist of CD, Vinyl and some artwork too - so I may get that when it comes out.

I am sure you are probably right, although I can remember my first listen of "In Rainbows" leaving more of an impression. According to Last.fm they are my favourite band, so I hope this turns out to be a real classic.

lastcoyote

Nov 22, 2008
Visit site
it's incredible. exactly what i was hoping they'd do. a real system tester too. that bass on 'feral' is superb :)

a real album album..if you know what i mean. not just a collection of songs. a complete work to be listened to from start to finish.

i love it
emotion-4.gif

the 'bends/ok computer' only lovers need not apply. they keep on evolving.... incredible if you 'get it'.

manicm

emotion-21.gif
Enjoying the music, but the DL's not exactly iTunes-friendly - no artwork, album title or band name appears. I tried select-all and dropping the jpeg into the window, but it only adds the artwork to the first track. I assume there's not difference 'tween ALAC and WAV's sound quality?

It's not that it's iTunes unfriendly, it's that iTunes does not display artwork for WAV.

lastcoyote

Nov 22, 2008
Visit site
absolutely floored by it. it's incredible.

agree that for some radiohead albums are 'growers' but for me i tend to 'get' exactly what they are doing fairly straight off the bat. i don't feel that makes me 'special' or anything...maybe i just like the same sort of music they do. still....it's amazing.

probably this and pj harveys ''let england shake' will be my favourite releases this year.

Tonestar1

emotion-21.gif

Not sure it's itunes, just dont think WAV supports art tags.

Highlight the tracks, go to advanced tab, create apple lossless version, add artwork to that. No loss in sound quality.

On listen three, enjoying giveuptheghost and separator lots.

Tonestar1

I've pre-ordered the vinyl, this will be my 2nd radiohead box (In Rainbows was the first). Still don't own a turntable, maybe this will inspire me to get my finger out before it actually gets delivered.

Tonestar1

I know it's not supposed to make any difference whatsoever but the WAV file sounds a lot better than the ALAC conversion, far more open, better, bigger soundstage and more separation of the instruments. Hmmm am I going mad? Is the wine taking effect? Would be interested to hear any other comparisons between the two versions if anyone converted to ALAC to get the artwork.

6th.replicant

Oct 26, 2007
Visit site
Tonestar1:
emotion-21.gif

Highlight the tracks, go to advanced tab, create apple lossless version, add artwork to that. No loss in sound quality.

Tried as you suggested, no artwork appears and when I select 'Get Track Names' a window appears announcing: 'iTunes cannot get CD track names that were not imported using iTunes ...import songs again using iTunes'. Did that, and I just get the same box window.
emotion-7.gif

FWIW, to my ears the WAV and ALAC versions sound identical.

Charlie Jefferson

Sep 2, 2007
Visit site
I'm only one and half listens in and I have to say it verges between intriguing and self-parodic. That could, and undoubtedly will, change when I really give it a chance to take root. I've barely taken notice of the song titles, so I can't pinpoint particular tracks yet, but the overall feel is at one and the same time disconcerting (arrhythmical drums) and somewhat familiar (aforesaid drums, bare bones piano & voice, washes of programmed synths, tendrils of guitar lines ebbing and flowing. . .) I suppose it's a bit unreasonable to expect another giant leap in sound, (once you've hopped from the modernist prog of OK Comp to the electronic warp and weft of Kid A, it's diminishing returns on innovation) but I was hoping for something vaguely un-Radiohead like, from er, Radiohead.

Tonestar1

6th.replicant:Tonestar1:
emotion-21.gif

Tried as you suggested, no artwork appears and when I select 'Get Track Names' a window appears announcing: 'iTunes cannot get CD track names that were not imported using iTunes ...import songs again using iTunes'. Did that, and I just get the same box window.
emotion-7.gif

FWIW, to my ears the WAV and ALAC versions sound identical.

Rght you have the tracks in WAV on itunes, highlight these tracks in itunes, go to advanced tab, create apple lossless version.

You will see now see two sets of tracks, a set of WAV ones and a set of ALAC ones. Move the WAV ones out of itunes so you are only left with the ALAC ones. Now highlight the tracks or album, go to get info, paste the artwork into the artwork section. Worked fine for me. You should already have the track names. I'm using a mac btw, not sure if PC is slightly different. If so wait till a PC/itunes guy picks up on this thread.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts