New Power lead.

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Just bought a new Sony LCD and thought about a moderate upgrade of power lead to go with it.

Looking at the recommended Clearer audio copper alpha lead.

Now can any tell me what the difference in end connections between

Standard IEC

Standard High Current 16A IEC

and

Wattgate 320i IEC.

Thanks in advance.

Big Chris

Apr 3, 2008
Visit site
The Standard IEC & Wattgate 320 (and the 350 too) IECs have the exact same Connector on the end, they will both fit the same holes. The Wattgate is supposed to allow an even more solid connection.

1530_2.jpg

Standard IEC.

If your piece of equipment has a separate power cable, the connection is 99% sure to be the standard IEC. (You might find a Wattgate connector a bit tight for a TV, especially if you're thinking of wall hanging it)

16amp IEC (Also available as Wattgate) is similar, but the connector is a big ol' square connector (Doesn't have the sloping upper corners like regular IEC/kettle leads) And the pins run across rather than top to bottom.

1851l.jpg

16amp Wattgate connector

You'll find these connectors on high current equipment and extension blocks (My R.A Silencerblock uses a 16A IEC to connect to the mains)

I'd be almost certain that a standard IEC connector cable will be your best bet. Check the standard cable, but as a Sony TV owner myself, I believe I'm right.

A

Anonymous

Excellent.

Wicked reply. Made my decision. I'll get ordering right now.

Thanks.

rob_981

Dec 10, 2007
Visit site
Sorry to dredge up an old thread, but I was also thinking along similar lines to michael_walkden. I just checked the cable for my Sony tv, and it's the same as the Standard IEC connection, except that it's missing the pin at the top. Just has the two bottom ones. Would the standard IEC connection be ok, with just the two pins being used?

A

Anonymous

I would just be careful about the IEC socket on your TV in that it may not accommodate a bulky plug such as the Wattgates.

I have bought one of these leads with a Wattgate termination and due to the design of the component's IEC socket and its position (a power amp but with a fuse access box quite close) I could not use it.

Some TV's have rather recessed power sockets too which can cause problems.

rob_981

Dec 10, 2007
Visit site
Thanks Shreddy. So you're saying that I could use a cable with a standard IEC connection, even though it has three pins, but the connection on my tv only has two?

Tear Drop

Apr 23, 2008
Visit site
rob_981:Thanks Shreddy. So you're saying that I could use a cable with a standard IEC connection, even though it has three pins, but the connection on my tv only has two?

Yep, that it perfectly normal.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts