New/old amp for vintage Ditton 44s. And about Ditton 44s.

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Sorry about this somewhat rambling post, I'm not really up on this stuff!

I've been using pair of JPW ML510s with my stereo, but the other day I snagged a pair of 70s Ditton 44s in superb condition for £25. I think I love these speakers, although I'm not sure how much the physical size of them (massive!) is influencing my judgement.

Are these speakers considered ok on the whole? I must admit that (I'm a vintage guitar amp nerd) I bought them mainly because they were Celestion and looked amazing.

I have access to two amps - a Marantz PM44 SE MKII and a Marantz PM 4200. Which of these would be the better bet for these speakers?

I'm quite keen on the idea of bagging a older/vintage/retro amplifier to go with these speakers (as an alternative to the ugly Marantzs). My budget would be £200 or less. Can anybody recommend an amp I might find for less than £200 that would be an improvement on the Marantzs? Maybe something I might find on Ebay or whatever?

Sorry for the ramble!

Adam

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
Ditton 44's in mint condition are a dream of mine. Awesome speakers!

Highly efficient (if I remember correctly) so you don't need huge power to drive them.

Nice, big, effortless, true bass.

Get them on some low spiked stands (8" - 12") and get some decent cheap speaker cable to connect them.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts