New Modem/Router

Pete Shields

Sep 23, 2008
Visit site
Currently using the supplied Thompson modem/router supplied with my Be internet account which runs at about 16megs. Internet is good but wireless can be a little flakey around the house. I keep the router under the stairs and have it connected to several wired access points in the house, namely 2nr xbox360's (being used as media servers, streaming 720p HD movie rips), and my Sonos system.

The Xbox360 streaming judders every 10 minutes and I have read that if my modem/router had a giga wired ethenet connection instead of the standard 100 connection, the problem will go away.

Can anybody recommend a good modem/router that has these giga wired ethernet ports and good coverage wirelessly (not sure what the latest standard is these days

Zarn_Smith

Apr 30, 2010
Visit site
Ok, I just want to confirm... Your xboxes are wired via the ports on the bebox... and you are using (a laptop?) via (the wireless?) on the bebox to play the videos?

Although 100Mbits/sec Ethernet is old hat now, it has plenty of headroom to play 1080p... Gigabit Ethernet however is available cheaply, but I am not sure it is the fixed links that are your problem.

What is playing the videos and is it using the bebox wireless?

Pete Shields

Sep 23, 2008
Visit site
Zarn

I have a quad core desktop PC with Tversity installed and am using the gigabit ethenet connection on it.The xbox 360's have a wired connection via the Bebox. I read in the tversity forum that the stutter problem that i have every 10 minutes was cured when the user changed to a gigabit connection throughout. Thought it might be a good idea to upgrade as I would also increase my wireless network at the same time

Zarn_Smith

Apr 30, 2010
Visit site
Fair enough...

Cheaper option - buy a gigabit switch such as - http://www.netgear.co.uk/ethernet_network_switch_gs605.php and hook your kit (and the bebox to that)

Or replace the bebox with a wireless dsl modem router such as - http://www.linksysbycisco.com/UK/en/products/WAG320N

I've linked to netgear/linksys but most of the common brands are as good as each other. When buying the modem router you need to make sure it has a DSL modem built into it... There are a lot of "broadband" routers that do not and are not what you need.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts