new midrange hifi set

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi my name is Peter,

I want to buy a new midrange hifi set, I want to replace my KEF 3005 Ht set because I prefer stereo to cinema.

I want to spend appr. 700 pounds for speakers, 700 pounds for cd player and 700 pounds for hifi integrated amp.

My room is about 270 square feet (25m2) and I listen to pop, rock, dance, metal music.

What would be a nice set (new, not 2nd hand)?

Monitor audio, B&W, Arcam, Cambridge, Marantz?

Thank you very much

Peter

A

Anonymous

musical fidelity A5 amp (250 watts @ 8 ohms) ... 2nd hand off ebay = approx £800

IMF TLS 80 speakers (4-way transmission design) ... 2nd hand off ebay = approx £600

Rega Apolo cdp ... new for approx £450

add approx £200-£300 for decent cables and you will have a very good system

d_a_n1979

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
Welcome to the forums
emotion-1.gif

Nice budget...

Personally (as I listen to very similar music etc...) I'd be looking at the NAD C355BEE intergrated amp; Monitor Audio RX6 or B&W 684 speakers and either the NAD C545BEE CDP or the Rega Apollo CDP.

This would come within budget leaving you to spend the rest on speaker cable, interconnects and more CD's
emotion-2.gif

If you do want to save £££ and go down the 2nd hand route; you could always look at (via eBay or other hi-fi related forums/websites) the Arcam FMJ A32 integrated amp or the Roksan Kandy LIII (or possibly the Roksan K2) integrated amp along with the Arcam CD192, Rega Apollo CDP and the Monitor Audio RS6 speakers.

A

Anonymous

This would be very nice, but I prefer new and not 2nd hand.

d_a_n1979

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
PeterGriffin78:
This would be very nice, but I prefer new and not 2nd hand.

As per my first suggestions then
emotion-1.gif

You'll not go wrong with the Monitor Audio RX6's for your musical tastes and the NAD would drive them very well indeed.

A

Anonymous

sorry dan

This reaction was not for you
emotion-2.gif

NAD Monitor Audio is on my list!

What other amps wil be nice?

I heard Exposure 2010s was very nice with rock music?

thank you

Peter

d_a_n1979

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
No worries
emotion-5.gif

I think Audiolab, Creek Audio & Rotel would be worth looking at. Definitly consider the Roksan K2 as well.

The current Arcam range isnt as gutsy as it former was so I'd leave them be TBH

A

Anonymous

ok ... your budget is £2100 and you will only consider brand new

amp: Krell Kav 400xi for approx £1400

cdp: Rega Apolo for approx £450

speakers: Arcaydis Dm1 for approx £250 ... I would use these for a while, then upgrade these first as the amp and cdp are very good

batonwielder

May 13, 2008
Visit site
Welcome to the forum, Peter.

For your listening preferences, I recommend the following:

Neat Motive 2 - Exposure 2010S2 - Cambridge Audio 550C

This would be money well spent.

A

Anonymous

atc is very populair in UK in think, but I cannot find any dealer in Holland were I live at the moment,

so this will be very hard for me to demo

thanks anyway

Peter

d_a_n1979

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
Peter, FYI, I'm off to demo a few systems tomorrow... (I'm getting bad as Matthewpiano
emotion-5.gif
)

I'm demo'ing:

NAD C355BEE integrated along with the NAD C545BEE CDP and Monitor Audio RX6's and the B&W 684's

I'm also demo'ing the NAD C326BEE integrated amp along with the NAD C545BEE CDP and the Monitor Audio RX2's on decent stands.

I may also try the RX2's along with the NAD C355BEE integrated amp.

Music I'll be taking with me will be:

Sting - All This Time (live)
Vampire Weekend - Contra
Delphic - Acolyte
Massive Attack - Heligoland
System of a Down - Toxicity
Jethro Tull - Best Of
Fischerspooner - #1
Enmpire of the Sun - Walking on a Dream

Reason I'm demo'ing these systems is that I've already got the NAD C355BEE integrated amp but I've got the Rega Apollo CDP and B&W 685 speakers and they're just not doing it for me.

I'll report back tomorrow afternoon
emotion-1.gif

A

Anonymous

Cyrus CD6SE

Cyrus 6xp

B&W CM1 or Monitor Audio RX speakers

d_a_n1979

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
angelface59:
Cyrus CD6SE

Cyrus 6xp

B&W CM1 or Monitor Audio RX speakers

Good call but I'd go with the Rega Apollo CDP rather than the Cyrus CDP just to smooth the system out a bit

AL13N

Nov 29, 2009
Visit site
d_a_n1979:I've already got the NAD C355BEE integrated amp but I've got the Rega Apollo CDP and B&W 685 speakers and they're just not doing it for me.

Try swapping the B&W 685 with Rega RS3.

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
PeterGriffin78:
atc is very populair in UK in think, but I cannot find any dealer in Holland were I live at the moment,

so this will be very hard for me to demo

thanks anyway

Peter

Monitor Audio RX6. Cambridge Audio 840A v2. Creek Evo cd player. I would have said the 840C cd player from CA but it squeezes over your budget a smidge. However, it does offer DAC services with it's digital ins, if you ever wanted to add a computer to the equation - also great for radio through a Sky box or similar.

d_a_n1979

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
AL13N:d_a_n1979:I've already got the NAD C355BEE integrated amp but I've got the Rega Apollo CDP and B&W 685 speakers and they're just not doing it for me.

Try swapping the B&W 685 with Rega RS3.

No thanks; superb speakers but not for me.

They dont have the bass depth nor soundstage I'm after
emotion-1.gif

A

Anonymous

the cambridge monitor audio would be very nice, what about the 740 amp +cd with the RX6?

Or the 840cd + 650cd?

d_a_n1979

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
C/A gear is deffo gear that you need to demo.

I was very impressed with the build and looks of the 840 amp and CDP but the sound just wasnt right for mew. Quite a bit clinical and forward and this wouldnt gel well with M/A speakers.

A

Anonymous

d_a_n1979:Peter, FYI, I'm off to demo a few systems tomorrow... (I'm getting bad as Matthewpiano
emotion-5.gif
) I'm demo'ing: NAD C355BEE integrated along with the NAD C545BEE CDP and Monitor Audio RX6's and the B&W 684's I'm also demo'ing the NAD C326BEE integrated amp along with the NAD C545BEE CDP and the Monitor Audio RX2's on decent stands. I may also try the RX2's along with the NAD C355BEE integrated amp. Music I'll be taking with me will be: Sting - All This Time (live) Vampire Weekend - Contra Delphic - Acolyte Massive Attack - Heligoland System of a Down - Toxicity Jethro Tull - Best Of Fischerspooner - #1 Enmpire of the Sun - Walking on a Dream Reason I'm demo'ing these systems is that I've already got the NAD C355BEE integrated amp but I've got the Rega Apollo CDP and B&W 685 speakers and they're just not doing it for me. I'll report back tomorrow afternoon
emotion-1.gif

Hi Dan,

Could you please post your demo here? I love your demo list, system of down is a very nice demo I think because it got both slow and fast music in it.

A

Anonymous

d_a_n1979:C/A gear is deffo gear that you need to demo. I was very impressed with the build and looks of the 840 amp and CDP but the sound just wasnt right for mew. Quite a bit clinical and forward and this wouldnt gel well with M/A speakers.

I think I don't like a clinical sound, I think, Iam more in rock,pop and metal music so I think that sound a bit to forward for me. Somebody had experience with marantz amps? They are very populair in Holland so is Denon.

Lot of dealers with the PM 8003 and PMA 1500 AE (denon)

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
PeterGriffin78:
d_a_n1979:C/A gear is deffo gear that you need to demo. I was very impressed with the build and looks of the 840 amp and CDP but the sound just wasnt right for mew. Quite a bit clinical and forward and this wouldnt gel well with M/A speakers.

I think I don't like a clinical sound, I think, Iam more in rock,pop and metal music so I think that sound a bit to forward for me. Somebody had experience with marantz amps? They are very populair in Holland so is Denon.

My system does not sound clinical at all. The 840 is a brilliant amp. You would be better off trying the 740c with the 840 amp rather than the other way round.

A

Anonymous

Gerrardasnails:PeterGriffin78:

My system does not sound clinical at all. The 840 is a brilliant amp. You would be better off trying the 740c with the 840 amp rather than the other way round.

I will demo the cambridge 840 with the 740 cd against the NAD amp+cd

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
Both Dynaudio and PMC do active bookshelfes. Focus 110A and DB1a respectively. The advantage is that you have built in amplifiers optimized by the manufacturers. They seem expensive but if you break it down, are actually not, relatively speaking. I did a comparison between between the 110 and AVI's 9.1/sub, which is another option, a little while ago and can provide the link if you're interested.

A

Anonymous

drummerman:Both Dynaudio and PMC do active bookshelfes. Focus 110A and DB1a respectively. The advantage is that you have built in amplifiers optimized by the manufacturers. They seem expensive but if you break it down, are actually not, relatively speaking. I did a comparison between between the 110 and AVI's 9.1/sub, which is another option, a little while ago and can provide the link if you're interested.

I can demo the Dynaudio 110 A I know a shop who have them, how do you describe the dynaudio sound

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts