New Logitech Squeezebox Touch Anyone?

smbmetal

Sep 8, 2007
Visit site
Has anyone purchased the new Logitech Touch? If so, what do you think to it's musical qualities?

For example, I currently have an Arcam CD92T player and have been considering converting my entire cd collection to an external hard drive, connecting it to the touch and connecting the touch either via an external DAC (if the quality is improved) or directly into my Rotels. I'm a novice when it comes to computer based music and am very sceptical when it comes to outright musical quality vs a mid-range CD player. I wonder if WHF will review it anytime soon?

Thoughts anyone?

bernasmeister

May 1, 2009
Visit site
From what I've been reading the DAC on the Touch is pretty good on its own (to the same level of the DAC Magic/Caiman, etc).

Haven't heard it yet, but quite tempted to go for one on feature basis only (I have a Caiman DAC as a pre-amp so will by-pass the Touch DAC anyway).

smbmetal

Sep 8, 2007
Visit site
bernasmeister:

From what I've been reading the DAC on the Touch is pretty good on its own (to the same level of the DAC Magic/Caiman, etc).

Haven't heard it yet, but quite tempted to go for one on feature basis only (I have a Caiman DAC as a pre-amp so will by-pass the Touch DAC anyway).

I must admit I'm very tempted and I've also noticed that you can trial it for 30 days if you buy directly from Logitech. I guess this will be the best way to see if it compares favourably to my Arcam CD player seeing as I'll be able to to do A/B comparisons.

A

Anonymous

I am awaiting my SB Touch to land, and have high hopes for it. I already have DACmagic I use with my Squeezebox, which is a worthwhile upgrade to the DACs in both the SB3 Classic and Duet. I believe the new SB Touch uses the Wolfson WM8761 24/192hz DAC chip - this is the same as in the Arcam FMJ CD36 cd player (a box many times the prices of the SB Touch) - so I am waiting to see if the DACmagic will be outperformed (Read: "sound better") than streaming via the Cambridge box.

Reality is that DAC chips are not expensive and the computer-based manufacturers are used to living on higher volumes with smaller margins, than are the traditional Hi Fi manufacturers, who at the high end have good margins but low and declining volumes.

Economics lecture over, what this means is that there has not been a better time to invest in computer audio and you can now get amazing vfm in terms of fidelity for digital-based sounds.

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
simonclayt:I am awaiting my SB Touch to land, and have high hopes for it. I already have DACmagic I use with my Squeezebox, which is a worthwhile upgrade to the DACs in both the SB3 Classic and Duet. I believe the new SB Touch uses the Wolfson WM8761 24/192hz DAC chip
Hmm, I thought the SB Touch only handled sample rates up to 96kHz?

bernasmeister

May 1, 2009
Visit site
emotion-11.gif

smbmetal

Sep 8, 2007
Visit site
simonclayt:

I am awaiting my SB Touch to land, and have high hopes for it. I already have DACmagic I use with my Squeezebox, which is a worthwhile upgrade to the DACs in both the SB3 Classic and Duet. I believe the new SB Touch uses the Wolfson WM8761 24/192hz DAC chip - this is the same as in the Arcam FMJ CD36 cd player (a box many times the prices of the SB Touch) - so I am waiting to see if the DACmagic will be outperformed (Read: "sound better") than streaming via the Cambridge box.

Reality is that DAC chips are not expensive and the computer-based manufacturers are used to living on higher volumes with smaller margins, than are the traditional Hi Fi manufacturers, who at the high end have good margins but low and declining volumes.

Economics lecture over, what this means is that there has not been a better time to invest in computer audio and you can now get amazing vfm in terms of fidelity for digital-based sounds.

Thanks for your reply! I will be very interested to know your thoughts when you receive it and get to chance to listen to it!

A

Anonymous

Got one two week ago and partly set it up last weekend. Simple to set-up and very sexy.

The internet radio stations are handy but the bit rate of all the stations I found were too low to be considered HiFi.

I haven't streamed any music from my Mac, yet, as I originally ripped these as 320Kps in iTunes. I am in the process of re ripping as Apple lossless. I did plug in a usb stick with Peter Gabriels latest offering from the B&W Society of Sound (FLAC 24Bit 192Mhz) and played this via the analogue phono out and compared this to the same album on the Mac connected to my preAmp (Cyrus Pre XPD QX 24 192) via an optical cable and the Mac won hands down - though the sound from the Touch was good the dynamics and sound were a lot more closed in.

I have ordered an optical cable to link the Touch to the onboard DAC in the Cyrus PreAmp to see if this compares well with the music directly fom the Mac.

Have to say though I was blown away with the sound from the Mac through the Cyrus DAC - breathtaking - left CD looking very sheepish!

A

Anonymous

the_lhc:simonclayt:I am awaiting my SB Touch to land, and have high hopes for it. I already have DACmagic I use with my Squeezebox, which is a worthwhile upgrade to the DACs in both the SB3 Classic and Duet. I believe the new SB Touch uses the Wolfson WM8761 24/192hz DAC chip

Hmm, I thought the SB Touch only handled sample rates up to 96kHz?

Correct - the limiting factor is the sound chip at 24/96khz - the DAC is still capable of handling 192khz however.

http://www.hardcoreware.net/reviews/review-225-2.htm

matengawhat

Aug 17, 2007
Visit site
so for example can you just plug a 500gd HDD straight into this and play music from there instead of having the computer turned on?

If i have my itunes libaray stored on my computer as lossless files can i just copy it straight across to an external drive and plug straight into this?

smbmetal

Sep 8, 2007
Visit site
matengawhat:

so for example can you just plug a 500gd HDD straight into this and play music from there instead of having the computer turned on?

If i have my itunes libaray stored on my computer as lossless files can i just copy it straight across to an external drive and plug straight into this?

I think so. This is why this device appeals to me. I will replace my cd player with it. I don't play music from my computer but will convert my entire cd collection in lossless files (like you) to two hard drives (one as backup). I will use the supplied remote to skip, browse music etc. No idea if you can browse artwork etc, no doubt you can. I have no interest in trying to connect it to my wifi, but would do it anyway.

It's the sound quality I'm interested in, hence this topic, I was trying to gather people's thoughts who have bought one. I still think I'll have to get one on trial though.

A

Anonymous

matengawhat:

Yes you can as it runs its own mini unix kernal embedded OS and as such with an external HDD or SD card, functions as a NAS.

Internet connection still needed for OS updates etc.

Check out slimdevices Forum, ther is a wealth of knowledge and experience there.

A

Anonymous

bfw:

Got one two week ago and partly set it up last weekend. Simple to set-up and very sexy.

The internet radio stations are handy but the bit rate of all the stations I found were too low to be considered HiFi.

If you like Peter Gabriel etc check out the 192kps url from Radio Paradise

http://www.radioparadise.com/content.php?name=Listen

Or look on SB menu: Internet Radio>Staff Picks>Stephens Choices> Radio Paradise 192kps. It's good quality broadcast and selection.

all of these are abobe 256 or 320 which is stunning (for radio..)

IMHO the best sounding classical radio is Radio Swiss Classic. Be sure to listen to their aacPlus stream (www.radioswissclassic.ch/live/aacp.m3u).

You have to install the aacPlus plugin to be able to listen to it. Have a look at http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?p=272774.

Concerning sound quality another very good station is Bartok Radio Budapest, but it is not classical only. Their 320kb/s stream is at http://212.92.28.75:2008/

matengawhat

Aug 17, 2007
Visit site
i had the original classic which i sold a while back as hated having the comp on all the time - this is a great feature as I have all my music backed up on a spare drive anyway so nearly plug and play!

A

Anonymous

Thanks for that will try some of those recommended stations. Got my TOS link cable today so will try streaming music and playing from USB drive using the Cyrus DAC tomorrow and will let you know how it sounds Monday!

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
smbmetal:I wonder if it will get reviewed in WHF anytime soon?

Yep, there's a Logitech Squeezebox Touch review in our next issue, which is in the shops by 2nd June and with subscribers from 27th May.

Sliced Bread

bfw:
Have to say though I was blown away with the sound from the Mac through the Cyrus DAC - breathtaking - left CD looking very sheepish!

Is that statement a comparison of the MAC + Cyrus Pre's Dac with the Cyrus CD8SE?

If so that, is quite impressive!

matengawhat

Aug 17, 2007
Visit site
Clare Newsome:

Yep, there's a Logitech Squeezebox Touch review in our next issue, which is in the shops by 2nd June and with subscribers from 27th May.

anything I should be worried about?

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
matengawhat:

anything I should be worried about?

Global financial meltdown? Pandemics? Volcanos?
emotion-5.gif

But seriously - you know I can't comment on the review until it's published.
emotion-16.gif

smbmetal

Sep 8, 2007
Visit site
Clare Newsome:

Great
emotion-21.gif
I look forward to reading it at the end of May! I wonder if it will be enough to temp me away from my trusty Arcam and drag me into the 20th century?
emotion-1.gif

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts