New KEF Q300 or Secondhand Dynaudio 2/7

emptage

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site
Ignoring cost, what would be a better bet KEFQ300 or Dynaudio 2/7. They would be close to a corner, the amp would likely be Marantz PM6003 or Brio R. Music is folk, rock and blues. I don't like a lot of bass

emptage said:
Ignoring cost, what would be a better bet KEFQ300 or Dynaudio 2/7. They would be close to a corner, the amp would likely be Marantz PM6003 or Brio R. Music is folk, rock and blues. I don't like a lot of bass

Hi emptage

The Q300's and DM 2/7's both work well with the PM6003 or the Brio R. I think the best thing to do is to try these components in your room (particularly with the close proximity of a wall/corner) to see which combination works best. For some less bass, scale and dynamics i'll recommend that you also seriously consider Dynaudio superb DM 2/6 speakers. ATC's SCM7 monitors are also worth a look as with their closed box design and flat and honest presentation these are very much likely to be the easiest to place without the bass in particular getting itself into a twist.

Btw, what source component/s and cabling will you be using?

All the best

Rick @ Musiccraft

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
How close to a croner would they be used? I wouldn't really recommend either of these speakers for corner use. As mentioned, the ATC SCM7 would be a better speaker to use in a corner, but they require a little more driving than a 6003 will comfortably deal with. I'd suggest an Audiolab 8200A amplifier. If you can't stretch to one, have a look around for an older 8000A, which normally go for around £150. It won't sound quite as good, but it will have the added advantage of subtle tone controls, should the corner positioning cause too many issues. This saving will also allow you to look at alternative speakers like Spendor's S3/5r2's, which are also a sealed cabinet - unfortunately they're very similar to the ATC's as far as needing to be driven well, but at least they're a viable alternative as far as quality is concerned. They're effectively a modern day LS3/5a monitor.

emptage

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site
The source will mainly be music held on my pc plus napster, via my sonos. The speakers will be about about 30cm from rear wall and the same from the side wall

Scissor_digits

Dec 16, 2003
Visit site
One thing to consider if you go for the 2/7's is that the manual for the Brio R states that "Continued high level use into 4Ω may cause the case to exceed 40°C above the ambient temperature"

My L/H speaker is less than 50cm from a corner and doesn't seem to suffer

emptage

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site
Scissor_digits said:
One thing to consider if you go for the 2/7's is that the manual for the Brio R states that "Continued high level use into 4Ω may cause the case to exceed 40°C above the ambient temperature"

Sorry for bing thick but I don't understand the significance of this

emptage

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site
Scissor_digits said:

Sorry for being thick but I don't understand the significance of this

Scissor_digits

Dec 16, 2003
Visit site
emptage said:
Scissor_digits said:

Are you considering the Brio R because of its size and the amount of space you have available. An amp that potentially runs that hot is going to need some space so as to not overheat.

emptage

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site
Scissor_digits said:
emptage said:
Scissor_digits said:

Are you considering the Brio R because of its size and the amount of space you have available. An amp that potentially runs that hot is going to need some space so as to not overheat.

The Brio amp is on the lsit because it is a good amp, according to the reviews and the comments on this forum. The amount of space comment related to teh speakers, not the amp.

A

Anonymous

REGA RS1'S WITH THE BRIO & MAYBE SOME MONITOR AUDIO BX2'S WITH THE MARANTZ WOULD BE MY CHOICE TO AUDITION..

emptage

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site
I was going to buy some new KEFQ300 but then the opportunity of the the sh Dynaudio 2/7 came up at much the same price. I realise that the amp would need upgrading at some point but buying sh is an affordable way for me to upgrade to get reasonable system.

Scissor_digits

Dec 16, 2003
Visit site
"The Brio amp is on the lsit because it is a good amp, according to the reviews and the comments on this forum. The amount of space comment related to teh speakers, not the amp."

So you're limited on space for speakers but have no space concerns for the amp, if I'd have known that originally I wouldn't have gone to the effort of waning you about the potential heat issues with the Brio R.

If you do get the Brio R and 2/7's please report back.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts