New Integrated Amp for Quad 11L

m0n5t3r

Mar 23, 2014
Visit site
I am going to be doing some demo's later this week but am currently open to suggestions for a good amp to power my Quad 11L's (original ones). They are supposed to be quite hungry (87db @ 6ohms)

The dealer wants to push me towards the Quad Elite INT at 80w per channel. I may also have a demo of the Nait 5si later in the week but am slightly put off by the 60w per channel.

Any other thoughts/comments/ideas???

Thompsonuxb

Feb 19, 2012
Visit site
I recall the 11ls won a system group test in WHF a while back when paired with the Quad909 power amp and CDP. They thrived on the power of the 909 it's a digital amp if memory serves me right so you'll have to use the digital out on the Marantz - it may be worth checking out the 2nd hand market seeking the most powerful amp your budget can stretch to 800£ can get you a good amp.

Hi-FiOutlaw

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
m0n5t3r said:
I am going to be doing some demo's later this week but am currently open to suggestions for a good amp to power my Quad 11L's (original ones). They are supposed to be quite hungry (87db @ 6ohms)

The dealer wants to push me towards the Quad Elite INT at 80w per channel. I may also have a demo of the Nait 5si later in the week but am slightly put off by the 60w per channel.

Any other thoughts/comments/ideas???

Don't let the 60wpc from Naim fool you, Naim power is misleading, recently i had a home demo of Naim Unitiqute 2 and the 35wpc had no problem to drive my Dynd X12.

nara

Aug 26, 2010
Visit site
Hi-FiOutlaw said:
Don't let the 60wpc from Naim fool you, Naim power is misleading, recently i had a home demo of Naim Unitiqute 2 and the 35wpc had no problem to drive my Dynd X12.

Maybe so, but a Quad amp will sound so much better.

m0n5t3r

Mar 23, 2014
Visit site
Back from my demos...

Tested the Nait 5si and the Quad Elite INT, the Quad was better than the Naim but neither really improved that much over my Rotel with my speakers so I tried some alternative speakers.

Sound difference was pretty amazing, I tested the Neat Motive SX3 and PMC Twenty 21's. The Neat's were definitely an improvement but the PMC's were on a different level all together.

I wasn't able to test the PMC's with the Quad amp (different dealer) but did test, with the Nait and my Rotel. Amazingly there wasn't much difference, if anything I would say my Rotel was slightly the better of the 2.

So any other recommendations to test speaker wise before I buy?

nara

Aug 26, 2010
Visit site
Reading through what you've posted so far, I'd suggest sticking with what you've got, or replacing the Quads with the PMCs

Deliriumbassist

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
Thompsonuxb said:
I recall the 11ls won a system group test in WHF a while back when paired with the Quad909 power amp and CDP. They thrived on the power of the 909 it's a digital amp if memory serves me right so you'll have to use the digital out on the Marantz - it may be worth checking out the 2nd hand market seeking the most powerful amp your budget can stretch to 800£ can get you a good amp.

That's certainly not what a 'digital amp' means, that, and the term 'digital amp' is a misnomer. Not only that, but the 909 is a power amp. It won't accept any digital inputs- the preamp was found in the CD player, hence it called being a CDP(reamp).

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts