New house, new integrated system

HDNumpty

Jan 17, 2008
Visit site
n1328769995_92027_2699.jpg

OK. So the site doesn't seem to be allowing me to post any more than 1 pic, don't know why. I had two completely separate systems - 1 Home Cinema, 1 Hi-Fi but needed to integrate them somehow as my new house (despite being larger) couldn't accomodate that due to layout. There was also some 'domestic' pressure (ahem) to cut down on the speaker count. So...after much searching I found this 5-shelf cabinet from World Furniture of Leicester, it was the only one that could support all my kit, cut the backs out for ventilation and cabled everything up.

Like Gerardasnails set-up, the 840a acts as a power amp via its fixed input option in HC mode (and for FM radio) as well as being a dedicated stereo amp for CD, MP3 and digital radio via the Humax PVR. The AV also carries inputs from the TV for watching broadcast films/concerts and an optical feed from the PVR for recorded films as well as the obligatory digital feed from the HD/DVD player. The whole thing works like a dream (you just have to remember to switch on the stereo amp in HC mode) and sounds great - the CM1s up front and little MS302s at the rear giving a much needed boost to HC. Its also nice to have an FM radio option (from the 540r which has its own boosted signal from the loft-mounted TV aerial), Classic FM sounding totally different to its DAB equivalent.

Planned upgrades include a Sony BDP-S350 (in the next month) to take advantage of LoveFilm's Bluray collection and possibly an Arcam CD93 from a mate as the 640c is now a bit outclassed by the stereo amp. Also fancy a Freesat recorder as and when they come out.

A special thanks to Gerardasnails for inspiration and keeping the wife happy - only have 4 visible speakers now against 7 in the old place!!! comments welcome (just wish I could post more pics, so help with that welcome also)

Oliver

HDNumpty

Jan 17, 2008
Visit site
Oh forgot to mention cables & accessories. Speaker cables are QED all round (Silver Anniversary XT, Silver Micro bi-wire, Micro) with interconnects from QED and Cambridge Audio. The stands are Custom Design 200s weighted to 6.2kg each with Atacama Atabites. Cheaper Ikea designs hold up the rears.

Can I just clarify that Gerardasnails has not actually been 'keeping my wife happy', this is a by-product of having less speakers!!!

A

Anonymous

HDNumpty:Can I just clarify that Gerardasnails has not actually been 'keeping my wife happy', this is a by-product of having less speakers!!!

Ah right. I'd just assumed that you wanted her out of the way while you rearranged stuff in the living room. Nice system BTW.

A

Anonymous

Good work, great looking system! Anything to keep the other half happy eh?

HDNumpty

Jan 17, 2008
Visit site
igglebert:Good work, great looking system! Anything to keep the other half happy eh?

well...almost anything. Being a hands-on Dad has its dividends. Also she gets her choice of granite worktops in the new kitchen next year.

A

Anonymous

as they say a fair exchange is no robbery! Good work HD.

A

Anonymous

HDNumpty:igglebert:Good work, great looking system! Anything to keep the other half happy eh?

well...almost anything. Being a hands-on Dad has its dividends. Also she gets her choice of granite worktops in the new kitchen next year.

And unlike handbags...it adds value to your home so you win both ways. 'Spect for that, and JD could learn a thing or two here.

John Duncan

andyb190:
HDNumpty:igglebert:Good work, great looking system! Anything to keep the other half happy eh?

And unlike handbags...it adds value to your home so you win both ways. 'Spect for that, and JD could learn a thing or two here.

Hey! The builders are in, new built in wardrobes and cupboards, chimney stacks are coming out, more space, interior design consultant to help with the colour schemes, new carpets.........AND a Mulberry bag........

There's nothing you can teach me on this subject.

A

Anonymous

Err, he hasn't paid the price of a Mulberry handbag though has he ? So that's a couple of hundred quid you could've spent on yet more hi fi kit if only you'd followed Numpty's lead and left the Granite Worktop monthly out every time a new purchase appeared (out of the cupboard you'd hidden it in for a couple of weeks til you were sure she hadn't checked the accounts).

It appears you still have much to learn
emotion-15.gif

John Duncan

andyb190:
Err, he hasn't paid the price of a Mulberry handbag though has he ? So that's a couple of hundred quid you could've spent on yet more hi fi kit if only you'd followed Numpty's lead and left the Granite Worktop monthly out every time a new purchase appeared (out of the cupboard you'd hidden it in for a couple of weeks til you were sure she hadn't checked the accounts).

emotion-15.gif

No, grasshopper. This is the "two-pronged crane" manoeuvre (or something). The Mulberry bag covers the DACMAgic, the ten grand on the builders covers.......well, I haven't decided yet......

A

Anonymous

JohnDuncan:And just wait till she gets the 9-3 convertible for her 40th birthday......a mwa ha ha ha ha

And what does that cover then. Surely an affair with every female at Naim and Rega combined (with the flights etc.thrown in) and numerous WHSV get-togethers where the sole topic is interconnects and Mrs D has to act as Chef, Barmaid and Taxi for the drunken mob ?

John Duncan

andyb190:
JohnDuncan:And just wait till she gets the 9-3 convertible for her 40th birthday......a mwa ha ha ha ha

And what does that cover then. Surely an affair with every female at Naim and Rega combined (with the flights etc.thrown in) and numerous WHSV get-togethers where the sole topic is interconnects and Mrs D has to act as Chef, Barmaid and Taxi for the drunken mob ?

Yup. And when she demurs, I tap the side of my nose and go "ah ah - remember the car darling".

Just before the chilli is shoved up my a---, obv.

A

Anonymous

JohnDuncan:andyb190:

Yup. And when she demurs, I tap the side of my nose and go "ah ah - remember the car darling".

Just before the chilli is shoved up my a---, obv.

One of the few times a chilli will be remembered going that way !!

Big Chris

Apr 3, 2008
Visit site
JohnDuncan:andyb190:

emotion-15.gif

No, grasshopper. This is the "two-pronged crane" manoeuvre (or something). The Mulberry bag covers the DACMAgic, the ten grand on the builders covers.......well, I haven't decided yet......

Exactly!!

I first mentioned getting a CD192 and got a "There's nothing wrong with the current CD player" for my troubles.

Now a few months and a Corian worktop, Porsche Design knives, and Siemens Porsche Design kettle & toaster down the line, it's "Do you want to drive down to Brighton next week-end and we could pick one up".

LOL! :)

Hell. I think I'll push for a new amp too!!

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
HDNumpty:
n1328769995_92027_2699.jpg

OK. So the site doesn't seem to be allowing me to post any more than 1 pic, don't know why. I had two completely separate systems - 1 Home Cinema, 1 Hi-Fi but needed to integrate them somehow as my new house (despite being larger) couldn't accomodate that due to layout. There was also some 'domestic' pressure (ahem) to cut down on the speaker count. So...after much searching I found this 5-shelf cabinet from World Furniture of Leicester, it was the only one that could support all my kit, cut the backs out for ventilation and cabled everything up.

Like Gerardasnails set-up, the 840a acts as a power amp via its fixed input option in HC mode (and for FM radio) as well as being a dedicated stereo amp for CD, MP3 and digital radio via the Humax PVR. The AV also carries inputs from the TV for watching broadcast films/concerts and an optical feed from the PVR for recorded films as well as the obligatory digital feed from the HD/DVD player. The whole thing works like a dream (you just have to remember to switch on the stereo amp in HC mode) and sounds great - the CM1s up front and little MS302s at the rear giving a much needed boost to HC. Its also nice to have an FM radio option (from the 540r which has its own boosted signal from the loft-mounted TV aerial), Classic FM sounding totally different to its DAB equivalent.

Planned upgrades include a Sony BDP-S350 (in the next month) to take advantage of LoveFilm's Bluray collection and possibly an Arcam CD93 from a mate as the 640c is now a bit outclassed by the stereo amp. Also fancy a Freesat recorder as and when they come out.

A special thanks to Gerardasnails for inspiration and keeping the wife happy - only have 4 visible speakers now against 7 in the old place!!! comments welcome (just wish I could post more pics, so help with that welcome also)

Oliver

I've only just seen this Oliver, I'm glad you are happy with it all. I've just changed my stuff a bit - will post some snaps soon. I'm waiting for the new DacMagic and have bought some Chorus 2 XLR to connect my 840. This left my Chameleon Silver Plus cables spare. I chewed over selling them but instead I ditched my Gothams which I used from 840 to receiver and now have the Chameleons doing the job. I cannot be sure (that it's the cables) because I did not compare with the old receiver but the sound I'm getting with my new receiver and the 840 is at least 50% better.

A

Anonymous

Big Chris:JohnDuncan:andyb190:

emotion-15.gif

Exactly!!

I first mentioned getting a CD192 and got a "There's nothing wrong with the current CD player" for my troubles.

Now a few months and a Corian worktop, Porsche Design knives, and Siemens Porsche Design kettle & toaster down the line, it's "Do you want to drive down to Brighton next week-end and we could pick one up".

LOL! :)

Hell. I think I'll push for a new amp too!!

Bless ya...sounds likes a good weekend, enjoy...

Big Chris

Apr 3, 2008
Visit site
JohnDuncan:Big Chris:I think I'll push for a new amp too!!

Well with the A32 available for 679 quid at the mo, I think it would be foolish not to. "Look darling, I'm saving £621".

But I'd want the CD & amp to match....That means A CD36 @ £700........Getting pricey now. I think I'd have to acru (No I don't know if it's spelt correctly either) more 'Bonus points' before lashing out £1400.

HDNumpty

Jan 17, 2008
Visit site
Cheers Gerard and thanks again for the 840a recommend - v.pleased with it. I'm just auditioning an Arcam CD92 on a very good offer from a mate - much improved CD sound and too much of a bargain to miss. Would've loved one of the Cambridge upsampling players but expensive (especially taking into account the aforementioned granite worktops) & won't fit in my rack without being hidden away, which defeats the object a bit.

So am I right in assuming you're using the BD player as your CD-spinner now? with a DACMagic? sounds like a good option...stick some photis up mate!!

take care

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
HDNumpty:Cheers Gerard and thanks again for the 840a recommend - v.pleased with it. I'm just auditioning an Arcam CD92 on a very good offer from a mate - much improved CD sound and too much of a bargain to miss. Would've loved one of the Cambridge upsampling players but expensive (especially taking into account the aforementioned granite worktops) & won't fit in my rack without being hidden away, which defeats the object a bit.

So am I right in assuming you're using the BD player as your CD-spinner now? with a DACMagic? sounds like a good option...stick some photis up mate!!

take care

I think you have made a wise choice - I got a lovely sound when I used my old Arcam dvd player with the 840A. They seem to compliment each other perfectly. I've taken a gamble because as I said, I was really happy with my music but I am a half and half man and had to get a BD player and needed it to make some room! Apparently the BD player I've bought is decent with cds so I'm expecting it to be perfect as transport and just hope that the DacMagic will be similar to the 740C in ability. If this is so, it should sound mighty fine.

I will post some snaps when I'm all up and running.

A

Anonymous

Best to spend it while you've still got it!

Or at least that's the view i'm taking. :D

TRENDING THREADS