New House - daft question

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi

I've recently moved into a new house and had sky out to set up my HD box. As with new houses nowdays, you have to buy an aerial seperately and as I watch everything via sky, I don't really see the point.

However my wife is looking for a small screen for the bedroom and I dont want to pay an extra £10 per month to sky for multiroom

If I buy a tv with freeview, do I have to arrange to have an aditional satelite dish or indeed by a aerial for the house to be installed.

I guess I won't be able to pick up the channels from my sky dish?

Thanks folks

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
No you won't. You could buy a set with Freesat and run it off a quad LNB on the dish, but these tend to be larger and more expensive sets at the mo.

Freeview requires a conventional terrestrial aerial. Having one fitted will cost you £100-150 or so.

Alsone

Jul 21, 2007
Visit site
Or you could buy an ordinary flat panel tv in the sales and add a Freesat box to it to get Freesat.

Freesat boxes range from around £40 for the cheapest SD to around £100 for the cheapest HD to £299 for the Freesat +. You would still need a quad LNB though. An SD box and quad LNB will work out around the same as a Freeview aerial with the cable added in. A HD box will cost more than a Freeview aerial but give you the advantage of the limited HD service.

A

Anonymous

why dont you run a coax cable from the RF out on the back of the sky box to the bedroom and buy a magic eye so you can control the sky box from the bedroom quick and cheap

bretty

Jul 20, 2007
Visit site
If you have a good freeview signal where you live, an indoor aerial is sufficient. I get full signal on my bedroom tele with one of those old style 'hoop' aerials you get with portable tv's.

VoodooDoctor

Sep 23, 2007
Visit site
69stretch01:why dont you run a coax cable from the RF out on the back of the sky box to the bedroom and buy a magic eye so you can control the sky box from the bedroom quick and cheap

This is what I do and unless you want to watch different Sky channels at the same time it is a very neat solution. I had the aerial man install a double socket in the lounge and a splitter in the loft so that I didn't have to have cable laid out from the living room to the bedroom.

JamesOK

May 24, 2008
Visit site
I've also recently bought a new house with no aerial (its amazing what they think are extras!). The builder will put all the cabling in so if you have a TV socket in the bedroom you'll find the corresponding cable lying about in the attic. Then its just a case of getting an aerial from argos, sticking it in the loft and connecting the cable to it. Much cheaper option than getting an engineer to sort it out and pretty simple too!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts