New home cinema setup - speaker advice

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
I bought a Yamaha AV receiver (RX-V620) a good number of years ago but never used it for more than a few days and it was dispatched to the attic because "it was too ugly and the wires were in the way”. Now, I've moved house and can finally get down to setting up my home cinema system in a dedicated TV/Play/Office room and I need advice on the speakers to use.

The room is 10' x 16' with a recently purchased Panasonic 37" plasma in the middle of the 10" wall. I wish I had waited before we moved and I would now get a 42" or 50". Hooked up to the screen and the amp with HDMI and optical cables is a Panasonic DMP-BD35 Blu-ray player.

I'm currently using two Kenwood LS-A6 60W main speakers that came with a Kenwood mini system that I bought in the early 90's. At the rear I have two JBL CM40's and the centre speaker is a 70W Sony speaker that I picked up from a friend. I'm using an Altec Lansing ACS251 120W subwoofer that came with an old Gateway PC that I has years ago.

I'm thinking that while I may have covered the visual aspects of the setup reasonably well, the sound may not be up to scratch ;)

So, what should I do about speakers? Has the receiver still got a role to play? Any advice would be very welcome.

A

Anonymous

I am thinking a quick edit on the above post to strip the HTML might encourage more replies...
emotion-5.gif

Messiah

As far as the sound goes I would certainly get those speakers sorted out.

What type of speakers would you like - Traditional or Style speakers??

What is your budget??
(Once the speakers are sorted you may
then want to upgrade to HD sound. This will involve either getting a
newer receiver (probably the better option) or getting a BD player that
can output via analogue to the amps inputs.)

A

Anonymous

I think I need traditional speakers as I will regularly use the amp for radio and music - good enough reason not to go with style? My budget is tight but I'd stretch it a bit to get the right kit as I see the speaker purchase as a longterm investment.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts