New hi-fi system. Advice required. HELP!

unhalfbricking

Jan 18, 2013
Visit site
I bought a new seperates system about a month ago. I undertook extensive demo-ing and was really happy with my purchase: NAD 316 amp, NAD 515 CD player, KEF Q300 speakers. I set the system up at home and even though the interim speaker positioning I had rigged up was far from satisfactory I was really happy with the overall sound.

Gradually over the past month, however, there has been a really noticeable levelling off of the top-end frequencies. Without really noticing it, I have abandoned the 'tone defeat' setting and started to edge the treble higher and higher to get the top end that I want. By yesterday, this had become so noticeable that I re-played one of the tracks that I had originally used to demo the system in the shop and when I subsequently set it up at home, 'Long distance runaraound' by Yes. On this direct comparison, the top end now sounds noticeably flatter and more muted. Bruford's hi-hat work in the verse, which had sounded so crisp and prominent when the system was new sounded far duller. The song in general just didn't shine like it had a month ago even with the treble control nearly on full.

- Any ideas whether this is more likely to be 'running in' issues with the amp or the speakers?

- I bought the system from Superfi. They were really helpful throughout the demo process, but what are my options now, given that there is no actual fault with any of the units?

What has gone wrong here? What would you do in these circumstances? Any advice would be really appreciated.

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
Well it could be your ears/brain getting used to the sound and dulling it down. Sometimes things sound amazing initially but that can disappear with time. Also could be your speakers have been burnt in and the bass mid range are more prominent now and are masking the high notes to a certain extent. You could try some different speaker cables, silver tends to brighten the high notes.

Just seen this someone else having the opposite problem with the Kef 300s: http://www.whathifi.com/forum/hi-fi/will-a-new-amp-tame-the-treble-of-my-kef-q300-system

unhalfbricking

Jan 18, 2013
Visit site
Thanks for the reply, BigH. The thread which you linked to sort of confirms my suspicion that it may be the NAD amplifier which isn't giving me the top end that I'm looking for rather than the speakers. As the KEFs have started to run in the NAD's natural 'smoothness' has become more pronounced and the top end has become smooth to the point of blandness. Just a theory. I'm trying desperately hard not to over-react and start changing units around, but if I eventually do, the amp will probably be my staring point. I read somwhere on this forum that the Cambridge 351 might have a brighter top end than the NAD. Might this be a good starting point if I decide to look at a different amplifier?

Blackdawn

May 7, 2010
Visit site
The problem is probably due to the system running in (that could be why you've noticed a difference over time) but might also be that the bass notes are more prominent if you have the speakers too close to the walls. Try moving the speakers around and see if that helps. Other amps to consider might be the Rotel RA-10, Cambridge Audio 351 or 651, Pioneer A30 or A50. Another option is to borrow some friends speakers to test if you get the same problem. If you don't have a problem with the other set of speakers connected to the NAD C316 then the problem is most likely with the Q300's.

TRENDING THREADS