New Hi-Fi Set-Up From Scratch

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi Everyone! I have been a subscriber to the magazine for over 12 months now but this is my first forum post. I have bought the great Panasonic 37PX70CAB after superb reviews from the mag and now I am moving on to Hi-FI. I know I want the Marantz 6002 CD Player and probably the Rotel RA-04 Amp (Although the lack of remote does bother me slightly - perhaps a better amp will be released in the same price range b4 I make my purchase) Speakers is where I need the advice. I like the look of the Kef IQ5SE as they would look great either side of my Plasma but I know the reviews of the B&W685's would suggest they are the better speaker. Factor in some decent stands and they would also be the more expensive option. Do you think the extra cost is warrented or should I stick to the KEFIQ5SE? (I feel floorstanders would look better either side of my plasma.) Would the KEFIQ5SE fit in with my CD Player and Amp selection? I have laminate flooring and listen to a wide range of material from dance/house and my partner would be listening to Pop and musicals. It is important to note that I live in an apartment block so although I want the sound to have authority and punch I dont want it to be boomy as this could upset the neighbours. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

A

Anonymous

Does anyone have any advice on this? Clare, your expert opinion would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

gregory

Sep 9, 2007
Visit site
this looks a quite nice balanced system,i like the kef's but prefer the older model and they are cheaper but that's just my opinion.i did think though that the rotel came with a remote.

A

Anonymous

Thanks Gregory

Has anyone else tried both these speakers in a similar set up?

A

Anonymous

i got the iq5se and i asked clare what cd player to get and she said the rotel 04 amp with the marantz cd 6002. i aint got them yet but proably will soon. iq5 se are brill and look great too.

DNICE1

Oct 30, 2007
Visit site
I have got the Marantz CD2006, Rotel RA-04 and the B&W 685s and the sound is sweet. The 685s produce a very tight and authoritative bass with clear midrange and sweet and detailed high end. I also live in an apartment but don't find the speakers too boomy. Since I don't have much space on the floor so I had to mount my speakers on wall brackets which positions them very close to the wall. Even then I don't have any problem with boom. But if you prefer the speakers also come with foam bungs which can be inserted in the prot tube to reduce the boom. Heres what I found on another website:

"Bungs are provided if you dont want your speakers to be ported. If the port is open the bass sounds louder (but may be boomy) and if the port is closed (using bungs) then the speaker will be a sealed unit.
Ports = louder bass, but not as controlled due to reduced back pressure in the cabinet
No Ports = very controlled, uses sealed cabinet as the baffle, making the speaker less "flappy!"

Hope this helps!

A

Anonymous

Thats great, thanks guys.
I think I'm going to audition both speakers with the Rotel RA-04 and the Marantz 6002 CD Player to see what I like the sound of but I'm thinking its going to be the 685's, and after you have said they sound controlled with good midrange then i'm even more positive as thats exactly what i'm after.
I'm trying to find a pair of good stands in black for these speakers so I can sit em either side of my 37PX70 Plasma.
More opinions are very welcome if anyone has any contrary or supportive views.
Or an idea of some good standmounts for a decent price. (considering the rest of my kit comes in at around £900 in total.)

Thanks all again

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts