New Goldfrapp album - 24bit WAV £8.99 pre-order

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
Why WAV though? No tagging etc, grrr...

Wonder if the £14.99 vinyl is the same as the 180gm version in the box set? It's not explicitely stated but you'd hope so. £14.99 is cheap for 180gm though (mind you £8.99 is cheap for a 24bit download...).

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
Tried to buy it just as the website went down. Will try again later. Would have preferred it in FLAC or Apple Lossless but it's not a deal breaker. I've just ripped over 600 CDs and found I had to tag or re-tag about a quarter of them, so one album is a walk in the park.

floyd droid

Sep 5, 2008
Visit site
Nice heads up Mr Replicant. The website threw a wobbler on me too so I will give it a day or two to see if Amacon have it listed. Failing that I will try again as I have all of Goldfrapps albums on vinyl , so me being a completist and all that......

A

Anonymous

Cheers for that, ordered.

Thats one thing I enjoy about this forum

being introduced to new artists I haven't considered before.

manicm

I love Goldfrapp, but the snips I heard on the website sound a bit too safe-sounding. At least Head First took some risks, but it sounds like they've reined themselves in a bit too much here. I'll leave it to the album and reviews to prove me wrong, roll on September.

manicm

Often an artist's least favourite album could be a firm fan favourite, and a critic's worst could be the artist's favourite - a good example being Bob Dylan's Street Legal which I like a lot for the most part, and he personally thinks it's one of the best things he's ever done. The reverse contradiction is also true of Oh Mercy which I think is great, but he's nonplussed.

So nothing new there that Goldfrapp's least favourite is Head First. I don't think it means it's a bad album. I hope I'm wrong but the new stuff seems too safe, too polished. Felt Mountain was chilled and lush but was pretty spontaneous. In contrast this new stuff seems too calculated. I hope I'm wrong.

ngibbs

Jun 12, 2010
Visit site
manicm said:
Often an artist's least favourite album could be a firm fan favourite, and a critic's worst could be the artist's favourite - a good example being Bob Dylan's Street Legal which I like a lot for the most part, and he personally thinks it's one of the best things he's ever done. The reverse contradiction is also true of Oh Mercy which I think is great, but he's nonplussed.

Does he rate Street Legal that highly? I know he thought it could do with being remixed (personally I think it could do with being rewritten, re-recorded AND remixed...). Agree that artists often aren't the best judges of their strengths and weaknesses.

cheeseboy

Jul 17, 2012
Visit site
The_Lhc said:
Why WAV though? No tagging etc, grrr...

am guessing it;s so you can do what you want with it, and they only have to release one version. If you release a FLAC version, apple users ain't going to be too happy, and vice versa.

manicm

ngibbs said:
manicm said:

Does he rate Street Legal that highly? I know he thought it could do with being remixed (personally I think it could do with being rewritten, re-recorded AND remixed...). Agree that artists often aren't the best judges of their strengths and weaknesses.

He's often regarded it highly. I have the hybrid SACD version (the vinyl sleeve replica issue) which doesn't sound bad at all. From what I can remember he had to defend the album at the time of being a poor man's Bruce Springsteen because of the rare saxophone outing (others thought he was trying to beat Neil Diamond at his own game). He countered by saying he thought Clarence Clemons wasn't in the same league as his man :grin:

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts