new floorstanders on a budget

audioaddict

Nov 1, 2011
Visit site
Im looking for good quality floor standers on a budget. Ive seen bw 684 ex demo at 580 aviano 6 at 500 also mission mx3 tannoy v4 and have also read that q acoustics 1050i are better than my price suggests. If i were to go down the stand mount route again ive had ma rx2 recommended as their bass is gd but would they work in free space which is how they wld be used eventually

A

Anonymous

The M/A RX2's on decent stands would be superb with your set-up IMO

Having owned them in the past they're brilliant speakers with bags of fast-paced and punchy bass as well as a detailed/smooth midrange and a great top-end

I demo'd them with the Audiolab integrated and 8200CDP a while back and it really made me miss them

However if you're after floorstanders I really can highly recommend the M/A BX5's; I was blown away by their performance. They sing superbly and again have bags of solid, punchy bass to boot. The RX2's need plenty of space around them ideally as they're one of the biggest standmount speakers IO've seen (8" woofer unit) and they're rear firing as well.

For me the M/A BX & RX range suit the Audiolab electronics better then the B&W 600 range (mainly the 684's) as I have heard the Audioplab set-up again with the 685's and they were very good indeed

However another pair of speakers I can highly recommend at the QUAD 22L2's. These speakers are very good indeed and potentially the next pair I'm looking at for my Marantz system listed below (although I may go back to standmounts as I'm very interested in adding a decent sub to my system)

audioaddict

Nov 1, 2011
Visit site
Aw nice one mate i do like ma speakers mine show gd detail just not enough low end so maybe the bx 5 or rx2 wld be ideal. You think the mx wld be ok in free space then? ?

A

Anonymous

Yeah the RS1's were good but I agree; I always found them to be lacking on the lower end...

The BX5's and RX2's will work very well indeed in open space; however you have to realise that in a huge open space you're never going to get amazingly deep bass unless there are surfaces for the soundwaves to play with!

If you can have the speakers aiming towards a sweet spot but still have them either near a wall or with a corner somewhere behind them then they'll work at their best.

My RX2's were where my BX5's are now; about 40cm from the rear wall and a good 2m from the side walls with the sweet spot right opposite on my sofa... They sound fantastic and with bags of welly too..

The only reason I'm toying with a sub is to fill out the very low end that the speakers cant hit in music such as the electronica/dubstep I listen to at times (Royksopp, Mount Kimbie etc...)

T

the record spot

Another hifi title really rated the Q Acoustics 1050i you mentioned in their review a couple of years back. They were partnering them with amps like the Leema Pulse Mk2, which is pretty impressive given that was a £1200 amp at the time. The Qs don't have the looks in some of their finishes, but they've a performance that's way beyond their price level, as you've noted. I'd give them a spin if you can find them to demo, they'd be on my shortlist.

Another would be Mission's 752 floorstander, which is getting on a bit now, though you occasionally find some in mint condition and they'd set you back around £100-£150. To exceed their performance now, you'd still need to hand over at least £700 and probably more. A very fine speaker.

audioaddict

Nov 1, 2011
Visit site
Yes i like the q 1050i and have seen them in the gloss black finish and i think they look quite classy especially for the price. I also noticed in the what hifi review they were slung on the end of their naim bryston reference system with good results so might put those on my list with the aforementioned ma bx and rx thanks guys

A

Anonymous

The Q Acoustic speakers are good; I thouroughly enjoyed hearing the 2050's but they were soon found out when put up against the likes of the QUAD 22L2's, MN/A BX5's & RX2's, Rega RS5's and B&W 684's

They're a budget level floorstander and they suit that level of electronics although yes, they can be partnered with more pricier seperates. They just dont have the overall clout and depth of soundstage in comparion to the BX5's, RX2's and QUAD's IMO

Worth a demo though even if just to rule out...

T

the record spot

hifilover1979 said:
The Q Acoustic speakers are good; I thouroughly enjoyed hearing the 2050's but they were soon found out when put up against the likes of the QUAD 22L2's, MN/A BX5's & RX2's, Rega RS5's and B&W 684's

They're a budget level floorstander and they suit that level of electronics although yes, they can be partnered with more pricier seperates. They just dont have the overall clout and depth of soundstage in comparion to the BX5's, RX2's and QUAD's IMO

Worth a demo though even if just to rule out...

Different opinions and all that, but the 1050i is comfortably as good as the Monitor BX range, the Quad's are a stretch I'd agree. The depth and soundstage isn't a problem either, but it depends what the OP is after. Certainly, for scale, the Qs are not to be found wanting and bass-wise they go through the floor. Of course, the Monitor BX5 is a budget level floorstander too, so they're easy to do a like for like comparison with.

EDIT: The other thing is that I wouldn't expect the Qs to better a pair of £700 B&Ws, or however much the RS5s go for, but then again, the OP wisely included them as he's probably heard just exactly how good they are with better electronics.

audioaddict

Nov 1, 2011
Visit site
Yes wld have to agree the 1050 is almost in the same bracket and will give em both a listen though the bx5 probably wld have a bit more detail though id save a few quid going for the 1050s

A

Anonymous

TBH the M/A BX5's are at the top end of the budget range IMO whereas I feel the Q Acoustics are lower down

Both good speakers but the BX5's manage to dig up more detail and oomph out of the soundstage in comparison to the Q Acoustics

Your Audiolab set-up, really, deserves better speakers and I'd be looking at the Monitor Audio RX2's at a minimum (& in saying that there is a pair for sale currently on another well known AV website/forum)!

audioaddict

Nov 1, 2011
Visit site
Yeah def think ur right im not gonna skimp on cheaper speakers as the system deserves better i will get a listen to ma rx2 asap from what ive seen in pictures they look very classy.

audioaddict

Nov 1, 2011
Visit site
Yeah def think ur right im not gonna skimp on cheaper speakers as the system deserves better i will get a listen to ma rx2 asap from what ive seen in pictures they look very classy.

A

Anonymous

MA RX2 are a large stand mount, you will see what I mean when you listen to them. But a top speaker for the $$ of course it's a personal choice but I love them.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts