New Floorstanders - a result!

Naxos

Oct 31, 2008
Visit site
Hi all -

Following my previous post I thought I'd report hiow things went on Saturday at my demo. Mrs. Naxos and I spent a very pleasurable two and a half hours at P J Hi Fi in Guildford, where Andy did an exemplary demo, hand-holding us through various speaker choices, always listening, never patronising or forcing things. Just to remind you, budget was £2k and the speakers being demo'd were:

Spendor A5 and A6

Neat Elite SX

PMC FB1i

Wilson Benesch Square 2

Audiovector S3

- plus my trusty Keilidhs. Front end was as per my Cyrus CD8 SE and Supernait. CDs used were:

Diana Krall - From this moment on

Porcupine Tree - In Absentia

Dave Matthews - Big Whiskey and the GrooGrux King

Verdi Requiem (Pappano/EMI)

Beethoven - Moonlight Sonata, 3rd Movement (Lewis/HM)

Bombarde! (Organ Music from Liverpool Cathedral/Tracy/Chandos)

Gladiator soundtrack

First up we got the Keilidhs going as a yardstick, and then it was straight into the Spendor A6's. Immediately we were on another plane of music reproduction. Nice as the Keilidhs were, now each piano key had weight with the Diana Krall, orchestral pieces had fabulous soundstage and you just forgot the speakers, so convincing was the overall soundstage. And yet...something didn't quite connect on an emotional level for me, although I certainly could have lived happily with them. Next we moved onto to A5's, and we both felt (as 6th Rep) that these even surpassed the 6's for rock and jazz, the mid-range really excelling and more seductive. These ended up being my wife's fave speakers actually, but I just felt that for most of my classical listening they were a bit lacking in the scale the A6's delivered. As for the PMC's, these also sounded wonderful, more so in classical, but I was a bit worried about the sheer amount of bass in my living room, and the mid-range just didn't seem as defined as the A6.

We then tried the Audiovectors and WBs - fabulous speakers, fast and visceral - the Dave Matthews really slammed out, but we both felt in classical that they were a tad unrelenting, so we then moved on to the Neats. Wow - these stole my heart! While maybe giving away a little of the A6's obvious technical proficiency, the Neats added a warmth, which is obviously something I was looking for. These were the ones that gave me goosebumps, a perfect halfway house between the mellowness of the A5s and the sheer transparency of the A6's. The massive chromatic brass scales at the end of the Verdi Requiem 'Sanctus' were thrilling, yet clearly defined against the huge choir and orchestra behind them. 'Gladiator' also delivered all the thrills. Visually the speakers are also very impressive, with classy matching oak veneers.

We finished up by going back to the Linns - although they certainly didn't disgrace themselves, the huge distance we had come during the session was clearly evident.

The demo pair of Neats were available to purchase less 10%, and I was offered a good deal on my Linns so I decided to buy them then and there. One other advantage over the A6's was that, as I'm bi-wired, I could simply 'plug and play ' the Neats! I now have them set up and running and they sound simply superb, although Andy mentioned I have a month where, if I'm not entirely happy, I can exchange them.

I never even got to try the ProAc D18's as I'd have had to travel to Oxford to dem them against the A6's, and they don't stock Neat, so I risked the fact they may or may not be more appealing than the Neats. You know how it is though when something just 'clicks', and the Neats certainly did that for me - although my wife still slightly prefers the A5's..!

I hope this helps anyone looking at this price point - needless to say, all these speakers are fantastic, but (especially if you're a Naim user) I urge you to listen to the Neats.

Naxos:

Hi all -

Following my previous post I thought I'd report hiow things went on Saturday at my demo. Mrs. Naxos and I spent a very pleasurable two and a half hours at P J Hi Fi in Guildford, where Andy did an exemplary demo, hand-holding us through various speaker choices, always listening, never patronising or forcing things. Just to remind you, budget was £2k and the speakers being demo'd were:

Spendor A5 and A6

Neat Elite SX

PMC FB1i

Wilson Benesch Square 2

Audiovector S3

- plus my trusty Keilidhs. Front end was as per my Cyrus CD8 SE and Supernait. CDs used were:

Gladiator soundtrack

First up we got the Keilidhs going as a yardstick, and then it was straight into the Spendor A6's. Immediately we were on another plane of music reproduction. Nice as the Keilidhs were, now each piano key had weight with the Diana Krall, orchestral pieces had fabulous soundstage and you just forgot the speakers, so convincing was the overall soundstage. And yet...something didn't quite connect on an emotional level for me, although I certainly could have lived happily with them. Next we moved onto to A5's, and we both felt (as 6th Rep) that these even surpassed the 6's for rock and jazz, the mid-range really excelling and more seductive. These ended up being my wife's fave speakers actually, but I just felt that for most of my classical listening they were a bit lacking in the scale the A6's delivered. As for the PMC's, these also sounded wonderful, more so in classical, but I was a bit worried about the sheer amount of bass in my living room, and the mid-range just didn't seem as defined as the A6.

We then tried the Audiovectors and WBs - fabulous speakers, fast and visceral - the Dave Matthews really slammed out, but we both felt in classical that they were a tad unrelenting, so we then moved on to the Neats. Wow - these stole my heart! While maybe giving away a little of the A6's obvious technical proficiency, the Neats added a warmth, which is obviously something I was looking for. These were the ones that gave me goosebumps, a perfect halfway house between the mellowness of the A5s and the sheer transparency of the A6's. The massive chromatic brass scales at the end of the Verdi Requiem 'Sanctus' were thrilling, yet clearly defined against the huge choir and orchestra behind them. 'Gladiator' also delivered all the thrills. Visually the speakers are also very impressive, with classy matching oak veneers.

We finished up by going back to the Linns - although they certainly didn't disgrace themselves, the huge distance we had come during the session was clearly evident.

The demo pair of Neats were available to purchase less 10%, and I was offered a good deal on my Linns so I decided to buy them then and there. One other advantage over the A6's was that, as I'm bi-wired, I could simply 'plug and play ' the Neats! I now have them set up and running and they sound simply superb, although Andy mentioned I have a month where, if I'm not entirely happy, I can exchange them.

I never even got to try the ProAc D18's as I'd have had to travel to Oxford to dem them against the A6's, and they don't stock Neat, so I risked the fact they may or may not be more appealing than the Neats. You know how it is though when something just 'clicks', and the Neats certainly did that for me - although my wife still slightly prefers the A5's..!

I hope this helps anyone looking at this price point - needless to say, all these speakers are fantastic, but (especially if you're a Naim user) I urge you to listen to the Neats.

Very interesting. PJ are just a few miles down the road from me, and although I've spoken to them a couple of times over the phone I've (rightly or wrongly) ignored them.

I wonder whether they would give the red carpet treatment to someone with half the budget?
emotion-42.gif

Naxos

Oct 31, 2008
Visit site
For a man of your calibre and reputation, PP, of course they would
emotion-2.gif
. We were impressed with the thoroughness of the demo, and the fact we could flip back and forth to compare speakers as we went along. Free parking in their garage as well (in Guildford - on a Saturday!). If I was going to be ultra-picky I suppose a coffee might have been nice, but that's about it.

Give them a go!

G

Naxos:

emotion-2.gif
. We were impressed with the thoroughness of the demo, and the fact we could flip back and forth to compare speakers as we went along. Free parking in their garage as well (in Guildford - on a Saturday!). If I was going to be ultra-picky I suppose a coffee might have been nice, but that's about it.

Give them a go!

G

Don't even know what calibre means
emotion-5.gif
. I don't drink coffee....

You're right, I should pop in there at some point.

I've yet to break the news to err indoors about the amp...the pub beckons tonight I think. Afterwards I think some serious pampering.

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
plastic penguin:Naxos:

emotion-2.gif

Give them a go!

G

emotion-5.gif

I've yet to break the news to err indoors about the amp...the pub beckons tonight I think. Afterwards I think some serious pampering.

You might be surprised PP. I had worried all week before my amp arrived, and when she came home from work and it was all set up and running, I said, "by the way, I've swapped amps". To my amazement, not a word!

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
Naxos:
Hi all -

Spendor A5 and A6

Neat Elite SX

PMC FB1i

Wilson Benesch Square 2

Audiovector S3

Gladiator soundtrack

Oh Naxos. Why oh why did you post that. I am now in love with those speakers!! I want them badly!!

Naxos

Oct 31, 2008
Visit site
Gerrardasnails:plastic penguin:Naxos:

emotion-2.gif

Give them a go!

G

emotion-5.gif

You might be surprised PP. I had worried all week before my amp arrived, and when she came home from work and it was all set up and running, I said, "by the way, I've swapped amps". To my amazement, not a word!

You're a lucky man, Gerrard! Not really an option for me as we have a good old-fashioned joint account. Still I can't complain - there aren't many who would actually insist on coming to a demo and then spending a whole Saturday morning in a stuffy room when she could be exploring the fleshpots of Guildford. Just as well, as the money I saved on the Neats can go towards a PSX-R (also demo'd) and a Neat Motive C centre speaker. Reckon I'm about done then
emotion-5.gif

BTW enjoy your new amp, PP!

A

Anonymous

Nice review Naxos. I bought my SA1 stands from PJ and they were great. I hope you enjoy those Neats, sounds like a blinding system!

Gerrardasnails:plastic penguin:Naxos:

emotion-2.gif

Give them a go!

G

emotion-5.gif

After she's pampered me I might tell her...

JoelSim

Aug 24, 2007
Visit site
I was very impressed with the Elites when I heard them on the end of an A32/P35 combo, albeit not biamped. They seemed to have a lovely natural, enveloping sound. Very similar to my Kudos in fact.

Naxos

Oct 31, 2008
Visit site
JoelSim:

I was very impressed with the Elites when I heard them on the end of an A32/P35 combo, albeit not biamped. They seemed to have a lovely natural, enveloping sound. Very similar to my Kudos in fact.

I would like to have tried the Kudos, but I'm pleased the Elites sound similar. As I mentioned, I think I'd got rather used to the warmth of the Keilidhs, so I was responding to that more with the Elites than the A6's, much to my surprise. Andy reckons they've only run for around 30 - 40 hours max and Neat recommend at least 200, so I guess things will get even better over the coming weeks.

Thanks for all the kind comments guys! Maybe a review in WHF at some point..?

6th.replicant

Oct 26, 2007
Visit site
Naxos:...Next we moved onto to A5's, and we both felt (as 6th Rep) that these even surpassed the 6's for rock and jazz, the mid-range really excelling and more seductive. These ended up being my wife's fave speakers actually, but I just felt that for most of my classical listening they were a bit lacking in the scale the A6's delivered.

Great minds ... Interesting to read your views re A5 and A6 differences - when I made the same observation, the dealer was very belligerent.

Neat Elite SX, eh? Mmm, will add 'em to the list.

Thanks for taking the time to share your insight, Naxos.
emotion-21.gif

stpierre76

Mar 14, 2010
Visit site
great review by the way.I am also conidering most of those brands so it was of great help, however, naxos mentioned that if yoiu are a naim owner you must auditioned the neat elite sx.I was just wondering if anybody has listen to them usin g cyrus gear?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts