New flat, new system - Denon?

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi

Just looking for a little help really. In have a 10 year old Aiwa system which i have been using as my main system to listen to all my music on my pc. Having just moved in to my first flat, i think its about time i replaced it.

Ive been looking at the Denon DM37 following the positive review on this site. Im loath to go with the denon speakers as well though as im not convinced they will be punchy enough. I listen mainly to rock music.

So i was wondering if anyone could advise on some alternative speakers to add to the Denon system that would give me a good loud sound that is also crisp and doesnt break up when the bass gets heavy. It will be used as a lounge unit, and im hoping the Denon will be sufficiently powerful?

Ideal budget for the whole system would be about £350 or so i guess.

Any help or input would be much appreciated.

Cheers

Nadeac

Jul 6, 2008
Visit site
If like me u will probably be dissapointed going to a modern micro systen after haveing a big powerfull hifi

I purchased a TEAC 300dab {what hifi 5 star} with q aucostics 1010i about 5 months back ,to replace my 12 year old Aiwa ,even though its a good bit kit well built with everything built in and even good sound ,it was not upto the standard of the aiwa with big aiwa speakers

Dont get me wrong with bigger speakers it might sound a lot better, but weeks later i purchased a NAD C315BEE amp and wired the teac through that ,to give a dramatic improvement in sound ,weeks later i purchased the Matching NAD C515BEE cd player which again is a big improvement over the TEAC

In the end without the TEAC unit i ended up paying £400 for the 2 nads and the 1010i speakers,but as in the link which JohnDuncan has left for £50 pound less online u are actually gettin more ,it comes with TANNOy F1s which are the next size speaker up and 5 star performers .Maybe i should of got that size speaker to begin with,but i ended up purchaseing what the shop had in stock at hte time

Mark

A

Anonymous

I agree with John 100%. You're way better off for your money with the NAD combo.

A

Anonymous

Agree with all these comments.

While the old Aiwa's are a million miles from real HiFi, there's no getting away from the fact that you can get them rock a party and produce a good thumpty satisifying sound when you need to.

These new micro systems will offer more hifi traits, but will possibly dissapoint if you're after a bit of welly.

Go for the Nad combo and the best speakers you can afford.

A

Anonymous

Thanks for all the replies. So looks like the NAD combo is the way forward then. I must admit, i was slightly concerned about the Denon having enough power - my Aiwa system may be old but my god it can pump out some loud noise!

Ok, so im kind of sold on this then i guess. I will need to buy cables for the speakers as well then, but do i need seperate banana plugs, and are they easy to fit?

Out of interest, what would be a step up from the speakers included in that package? Say by another £50-£100 for instance? Im also wondering whether its worth upgrading the amp, as there is the option to do this for £50. Worth it, or will i be ok with the standard package they have on there?

Thanks again. Sounds like a potential dissapointing purchase may have been avoided!

John Duncan

Not necessarily disappointing - I lived with a denon mini for a long time quite happily. But the NAD will be better still. If you can afford it, then by all means hear the better amp and speakers to see if you find them worthwhile (this is where you would see most benefit spending extra at this price point, IMO).

I would expect Superfi to throw in some basic cables, and you can get away without either upgrading or fitting banana plugs in the first instance.

d_a_n1979

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
IMO id do some searching on eBay as well.

You can put a fantastic system together for similar money as with buying a new system from Richer Sounds or Superfi etc...

IMO id look out for a NAD C320BEE integrated amp, a NAD C542 CDP or the C515 CDP and either M/A BR2 standmount speakers or some B&W 602 S2/S3 standmount speakers.

What would help is knowing what music you listen to etc...

John Duncan

d_a_n1979:IMO id do some searching on eBay as well.

I disagree for a first-timer - once you've got a good system to start with and can start researching where you could go next, absolutely agree - but to begin with, you could sit around waiting for six months to come up with a system of doubtful provenance, when there's one sitting right there in the shop.

Just my 2½ worth.

daveh75

JohnDuncan:d_a_n1979:IMO id do some searching on eBay as well. I disagree for a first-timer - once you've got a good system to start with and can start researching where you could go next, absolutely agree - but to begin with, you could sit around waiting for six months to come up with a system of doubtful provenance, when there's one sitting right there in the shop. Just my 2½ worth. seconded

A

Anonymous

d_a_n1979:IMO id do some searching on eBay as well. You can put a fantastic system together for similar money as with buying a new system from Richer Sounds or Superfi etc... IMO id look out for a NAD C320BEE integrated amp, a NAD C542 CDP or the C515 CDP and either M/A BR2 standmount speakers or some B&W 602 S2/S3 standmount speakers. What would help is knowing what music you listen to etc...

Thanks. As mentioned in my original post, its going to be pretty much rock music i listen to. Tends to be heavier stuff, including some metal at times. Doesnt mean i wont mix it up with a bot of Klaxons for instance, or Pendulum, but i think first and foremost i need a system that can cope with heavy guitar riffs and the punchiness that this heavier stuff involves.

NAD is looking like a good entry point for me in to the world of seperates then i think. With regards to the speakers, i was thining of wall mounting them at some point, but for now possibly putting them at either end of the room on the floor. Would this sound way too bassy, or can i get away with not buying speaker stands as well?

John Duncan

The floor is absolutely the worst place for them. Wall is acceptable, stands is best. You will get better sound from a pair of stands than from spending an extra 50 quid on an amp. This is definitely where eBay is your friend though - find a pair of Apollo AZ6 or Atacama Nexus 6, 30 quid s/h, job done.

A

Anonymous

You might guess I'm going to second the NAD opinion offered here.

If you have the room don't dismiss floor standing speakers as an alternative to standmounts. Esp. if you like bass. I realise you might have to save up for some speakers but a NAD amp will drive most of then easily when you get them.

d_a_n1979

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
I dont think that going on eBay is a bad idea at all.

You can do the research in shops and online re new products and maybe even get a demo or 2 in but i still think its worth looking to see what offers are on eBay etc...

You mentioned above to take a look on eBay for some speakers stands so why not look at amps, CD players and speakers as well.

I do think that NAD will work very well for your usic tastes but i also feel that B&W speakers would be well suited to you as well. They handle bass very well and loud guitar music also.

A

Anonymous

JohnDuncan:The floor is absolutely the worst place for them. Wall is acceptable, stands is best. You will get better sound from a pair of stands than from spending an extra 50 quid on an amp. This is definitely where eBay is your friend though - find a pair of Apollo AZ6 or Atacama Nexus 6, 30 quid s/h, job done.

Ha, ok stands it is! just need to make sure everything fits nicely now in the room!

A

Anonymous

d_a_n1979:You can do the research in shops and online re new products and maybe even get a demo or 2 in .

IMHO this is very poor form if you have no intention of buying. OK if you have a demo and choose not to buy then that's the luck of the draw for the dealer but to get a demo when you've decided to buy off of ebay is a bit much.

BTW - I suppose I should say I would not touch e-bay with a 10 ft pole. I know that a lot of the stuff is genuine but it's a haven for scammers and far too poorly policed by the billion $$ corporation that runs it.

John Duncan

d_a_n1979:You mentioned above to take a look on eBay for some speakers stands so why not look at amps, CD players and speakers as well.

Primarily because at the budget end you don't save that much (especially on recent, five-star kit), and the Superfi deal is throwing in some 100 quid speakers for nothing. Like I say, it takes a lot of research (and balls) to know what to go for (amps and speakers particularly), but when you do, there are spectacular bargains to be had, I agree.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts