new flat new speakers needed

robolowski

May 12, 2010
Visit site
I've been using MA RS8 for over a year and i was happy with them until i moved to a new flat.Pretty much every music i put on sounds well to bassy and i can't enjoy music in high volumes anymore! even at low volumes with music such as ninja tune records can be as bad.So i need to replace them.

My room is 4x4 m2 i have tried to find the best place to position the speakers but nothing really works.They are about 30 cm of the wall as well.

I am going to Bristol show and my plan is to demo as many speakers as i can to find something decent for rather long time.I am looking for floorstanding speakers but it could be bookshelf as well.

They need to be nicely design - wife friendly!- and obviously decent quality , with good wide soundstage and detailed and not bassy.My budget is up to 1000 pounds either new or second hand.

I was looking at spendor sa1 which might give you an idea regarding nice design but i won't be able to demo it at Bristol :(

Thanks in advance.

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
Is anything else different about the room. robolowski? Different size, less furniture, more hard surfaces - uncovered floors, bare walls, stuff like that?

robolowski

May 12, 2010
Visit site
Andrew Everard:Is anything else different about the room. robolowski? Different size, less furniture, more hard surfaces - uncovered floors, bare walls, stuff like that?

Not really , maybe ceiling.It's about 0.7 m lower.My previous room was about the same size.

robolowski

May 12, 2010
Visit site
roger06:
Dynaudio DM 2/6 ?

Saw them last Saturday and think they're very wife (and pocket) friendly...

I was reading a review about 2/7 and seemed that most of people like them.I've just checked on dynaudio website and it looks that they will have 2/6 at Bristol so i'll demo them.

cheers

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
robolowski:Not really , maybe ceiling.It's about 0.7 m lower.My previous room was about the same size.

Yes, that could make a difference. Have you tried bunging the ports - and especially the rear one on each speaker - to tame the bass? That can often help. You may find a helpful dealer will have some port bungs of open-cell foam, or Monitor Audio may be able to assist, but you can get an idea of whether it may help by rolling up some socks and just pushing them into the port openings.

Don't laugh - it works, and will give you some idea whether this may help, which I suspect it may.

robolowski

May 12, 2010
Visit site
Andrew Everard:
robolowski:Not really , maybe ceiling.It's about 0.7 m lower.My previous room was about the same size.

Yes, that could make a difference. Have you tried bunging the ports - and especially the rear one on each speaker - to tame the bass? That can often help. You may find a helpful dealer will have some port bungs of open-cell foam, or Monitor Audio may be able to assist, but you can get an idea of whether it may help by rolling up some socks and just pushing them into the port openings.

Don't laugh - it works, and will give you some idea whether this may help, which I suspect it may.

Thanks Andrew for an good idea.I do have them bungs but to be honest i did try it in old place when i was listening to the latest Massive Attack album.It helps but it takes all the 'juice' from music and SQ is noticeable worse.

I will have a go tomorrow though just to see if it's the same effect.

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
You may find in the new place, where I suspect the room dimensions are creating a bass boom, that it helps just enough. Worth spending a bit of time experimenting with bunging one or other of the ports...

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
Are they toed in? Sometimes this can help reduce bass. I'm guessing they're a few years old now, so it might be worth tightening the Allen bolts of dye drivers as these work loose over time. When drivers are bolted in properly they're allowed to work at their most efficient, but when they're loose bass can be uncontrolled - and this will mean boom.

Are you likely to move at any point soon? I only ask as you could take a drastic measure - disconnect the lower bass driver. It's a single crossover point, so they're either a two way or a two and a half way. Whichever way they're designed, disconnecting the lower one will either reduce bass, or reduce the amount of lower bass. Disconnecting the lower bass driver effectively gives you an RS1, which isn't as bass heavy as it's floorstanding brothers. I only mention that as you might be happy with that temporary measure, and you can then deal with the issue when you move, if indeed there is an issue.

If you need space, you could Look into MA's SoundFrame range, which hang on the wall, Artcoustics style. These aren't too bad on their own, but you might want a little sub just to bring up the bottom end a little. Or not! You could also look at the KEF Q500, which is a nice compact floorstander which doesn't overdo the bass - perfect for smaller rooms.

You could also look out for any used ProAc TriTowers, which are a very slim floorstander using multiple bass drivers (as used in their Hexa satellite speakers). Imagine the PMC Fact 8's but without the depth! One of the best compact floorstanders I've ever heard.

The SA1 is now discontinued, but you could look at it's replacement, or the new S3/5r2. However, if you like higher volumes, make sure these will do what you need them too - a small driver can only do so much work!! You could also look at Spendor's new A3 floorstander, which is even smaller than an A5!

Speakers to avoid would be the likes of B&W and Dynaudio, that tend to have a generous bottom end, needing plenty of space to work well.

robolowski

May 12, 2010
Visit site
FrankHarveyHiFi:Are they toed in? Sometimes this can help reduce bass. I'm guessing they're a few years old now, so it might be worth tightening the Allen bolts of dye drivers as these work loose over time. When drivers are bolted in properly they're allowed to work at their most efficient, but when they're loose bass can be uncontrolled - and this will mean boom. Are you likely to move at any point soon? I only ask as you could take a drastic measure - disconnect the lower bass driver. It's a single crossover point, so they're either a two way or a two and a half way. Whichever way they're designed, disconnecting the lower one will either reduce bass, or reduce the amount of lower bass. Disconnecting the lower bass driver effectively gives you an RS1, which isn't as bass heavy as it's floorstanding brothers. I only mention that as you might be happy with that temporary measure, and you can then deal with the issue when you move, if indeed there is an issue. If you need space, you could Look into MA's SoundFrame range, which hang on the wall, Artcoustics style. These aren't too bad on their own, but you might want a little sub just to bring up the bottom end a little. Or not! You could also look at the KEF Q500, which is a nice compact floorstander which doesn't overdo the bass - perfect for smaller rooms.You could also look out for any used ProAc TriTowers, which are a very slim floorstander using multiple bass drivers (as used in their Hexa satellite speakers). Imagine the PMC Fact 8's but without the depth! One of the best compact floorstanders I've ever heard.The SA1 is now discontinued, but you could look at it's replacement, or the new S3/5r2. However, if you like higher volumes, make sure these will do what you need them too - a small driver can only do so much work!! You could also look at Spendor's new A3 floorstander, which is even smaller than an A5!Speakers to avoid would be the likes of B&W and Dynaudio, that tend to have a generous bottom end, needing plenty of space to work well.

Yes they are toed in and only a year old.Got them brand new but will check them screws.Regarding disconnecting a bottom bass woofer can you tell me how do i do it?I was thinking to do so but i am a bit scared that something can go wrong.

I showed those spendor speakers you have mentioned but wife only accepted sa1 which can be still seen here and there , personally i wouldn't mind new S3/5r2 .

I am hoping to demo some of those speakers at Bristol show , but the only problem is that they are usually partner their speakers with expensive amp&cds which makes a difference.I noticed that last year...

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
I would only recommend toying with disconnecting the bass driver if you've tinkered about with speakers before. It might completely mess the sound up, then again, it might do what you need. It's a case of undoing the Allen bolts from the driver, taking it out, and disconnecting the cables from it which will be push on type connections. You'll need to make sure the cables are secure somewhere so that they don't touch each other....maybe put some masking tape round them. This is a little unorthodox, but sometimes you never know the outcome until you try it.

Of course, opening up your loudspeaker does invalidate your warranty....
emotion-1.gif

shooter

May 4, 2008
Visit site
Andrew Everard:

Also a "geeky" clutch of straws may work; more subtle diffusing.

robolowski

May 12, 2010
Visit site
FrankHarveyHiFi:I would only recommend toying with disconnecting the bass driver if you've tinkered about with speakers before. It might completely mess the sound up, then again, it might do what you need. It's a case of undoing the Allen bolts from the driver, taking it out, and disconnecting the cables from it which will be push on type connections. You'll need to make sure the cables are secure somewhere so that they don't touch each other....maybe put some masking tape round them. This is a little unorthodox, but sometimes you never know the outcome until you try it.Of course, opening up your loudspeaker does invalidate your warranty....
emotion-1.gif

Thank you Frank.I am not that bothered about warranty , SQ is more important to me and since i can't enjoy it i'll try everything that could improve it before i spend any more money :)

robolowski

May 12, 2010
Visit site
robolowski:
FrankHarveyHiFi:I would only recommend toying with disconnecting the bass driver if you've tinkered about with speakers before. It might completely mess the sound up, then again, it might do what you need. It's a case of undoing the Allen bolts from the driver, taking it out, and disconnecting the cables from it which will be push on type connections. You'll need to make sure the cables are secure somewhere so that they don't touch each other....maybe put some masking tape round them. This is a little unorthodox, but sometimes you never know the outcome until you try it.Of course, opening up your loudspeaker does invalidate your warranty....
emotion-1.gif

Thank you Frank.I am not that bothered about warranty , SQ is more important to me and since i can't enjoy it i'll try everything that could improve it before i spend any more money :)

In fact i might contact MA about disconnecting bottom driver , let's see what they say.

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
It's David
emotion-1.gif

Ask them if the lower bass driver acts any differently to the one above it. It'll depend how the speaker's been designed as to how well it'll work. They'll probably be dead against it either way, but without experimentation, we wouldn't get anywhere.

robolowski

May 12, 2010
Visit site
FrankHarveyHiFi:It's David
emotion-1.gif
Ask them if the lower bass driver acts any differently to the one above it. It'll depend how the speaker's been designed as to how well it'll work. They'll probably be dead against it either way, but without experimentation, we wouldn't get anywhere.

Sorry David i thought you were Frank :))

It'll be interesting to find out if i they could act as RS6 by disconnecting bottom drivers.

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
robolowski:It'll be interesting to find out if i they could act as RS6 by disconnecting bottom drivers.
You mean RS1? Well the cabinet is sectioned off in a way that means the RS6 is effectively an RS1 sitting on another cabinet with a bass driver in. Disconnecting the lower bass driver will definitely upset the balance of the speaker, but right now it's the balance you're not happy with. It'll either work or it won't - 50/50. If it does work, it'll save you some cash
emotion-1.gif

Just to be clear here - I'm not saying that disconnecting that driver WILL make it sound like an RS1 - it'll make it sound more like an RS1, but not necessarily the same or even similar. It could end up sounding complete rubbish, it might not.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts