New final CDP for 2010...

stephennic

Jul 27, 2008
Visit site
Hi,

I use to own the cambridge 640c v2, good detail, imaging etc great for pop but I found it a bit too clinical for slower music like jazz, classical etc. On the wrong system it can sound too cold and analytical, it is quite lean too. On a warmer system it might be okay. I found it intially exciteing to listen too but found it hard to relax too late at night as I found the mids a bit to forward. I tried it on a valve system and it did seem to be more tonally balanced.

Hope the feedback helps.

Cheers,

Steve.

A

Anonymous

I wouldn't sell the paganini i wouldn't of thought, just may move upstairs onto bedroom system. Its an early 2000 model and it wont play copied discs, or i cant seem to get it to read any..

For downstairs im considering the audiolab cd for £435. I was impressed with it on demo a while back, against my old micromega stage 3...

duno yet, some of the CA kit seems ok...

d_a_n1979

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
Rega Apollo if you're looking at that price region.

Although I'm to demo both Audiolab CDE and CD next week so i'll let you know how I get on if you havent made a choice by then.

A

Anonymous

d_a_n1979:Rega Apollo if you're looking at that price region.

Although I'm to demo both Audiolab CDE and CD next week so i'll let you know how I get on if you havent made a choice by then.

good good let me know what you think...

A

Anonymous

chebby:
Why not the current model 650C ?

money on the audiolab cd would be money better well spent, you not think?

A

Anonymous

This Cyrus 8 seems like a good purchase and £350.

This Audiolab 8000CD is ex-demo and £400, not bad either.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
reggaedave:chebby:Why not the current model 650C ?

What I meant was, why did you list the old 640C as an option, rather than the current model 650C?

As for the Audiolab, I cannot comment. I have not heard any of the CDPs you asked about.

A

Anonymous

The cyrus 8 and the rega apollo, blows the 640 out of the water. You would be getting so much more player for your money. Had the 640 a few years ago, and as good as it was, the others beat it hands down.

It is your money, but am sure you can do alot more with say £350 than the £150 for the 640 (around that cost).

Ive got the apollo in my second system, and it is very good, but should imagine the cyrus 8 is a step up again, and you can upgrade it with a psx-r to make it sound even better in the long run, or get it upgraded to a higher spec in the future.

A

Anonymous

chebby:reggaedave:chebby:Why not the current model 650C ?

What I meant was, why did you list the old 640C as an option, rather than the current model 650C?

As for the Audiolab, I cannot comment. I have not heard any of the CDPs you asked about.

I demoed the Audiolab cd and was very impressed with it at the time. I can demo some of the CA amps at richer sounds, but only through one of their amps,as they have no demo room.

The audiolab demo i had was using my audiolab 8000s and 8000p, bi amped to some B&W 684's...

As my cd player will be the final component, it will look good alongside the other two boxes..(OCD ! LOL).

My opinion off the cuff, I think the audiolab amps will sound better than the CA ones of the same(ish) price range. Im trying to work out if the CD is worth an extra £170 over the CDE model (Audiolab's)..

And im even thinking of going back in time, and picking up some B&W 685's for a little more bass over my rega's.

The other thing is, i tried digital out from my paganini, through my dacmagic, and i didnt think it sounded anywhere near as detailed or controlled. Now bearing in mind my paganini's dac is a decade old, (£750 in 1999), and the Dacmagics dac came out in 2009 or something, The CA kit was a bit of a downfall. The Dacmagic was only for PC connection so it was fine, just a suprise.

The digital coaxial cable i used was a £120 per length cable, so couldn't have gave it a better cable to try it with aswell.

silver-Knight_executer_digi.gif

The
Silver Knight Executor Digi digital interconnect

A

Anonymous

JoelSim:
I think the 685s will be a sideways move. If you're going to upgrade trhen make it worthwhile.

The budgets not that important, but they must be bookshelf/standmount at the moment (in this house) .

Was not impressed with the MA RX1's,RX2's the other week.

A

Anonymous

i can pick one of these up for a bargain...

http://www.superfi.co.uk/index.cfm/page/moreinfo.cfm/Product_ID/2500

JoelSim:

I think the 685s will be a sideways move. If you're going to upgrade trhen make it worthwhile.

I agree. A worthwhile upgrade would be minimum Epos M12s or budget allowing, PMC DB1S. The latter is the best sub-£1000 standmounter I've heard - betters a lot of + £1000ers as well....

d_a_n1979

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
What was it that you didnt like re the M/A RX1's and RX2's?

I'm in agreement that the B&W 685's would be a sideways step. How's about the Dynaudio DM 2/7's or the Dali Mentor Minuet's?

A

Anonymous

d_a_n1979:What was it that you didnt like re the M/A RX1's and RX2's?

I'm in agreement that the B&W 685's would be a sideways step. How's about the Dynaudio DM 2/7's or the Dali Mentor Minuet's?

I felt the bass was just way to overpowering on the RX2's, was just about bearable on the RX1's. They where ok but felt the bass was too much, and lost a bit of detail on the mid and top end notes, just didnt blow me away that's all .

A

Anonymous

reggaedave,

Just a quick note to say that the CDP you linked to earlier is the Quad CDS, rather than the CDP, which I think is is predecessor of the CDP-2. That's important because the CDP has a digital pre-amp with DAC and 6 digital inputs built in, and the CDS does not! Quite a difference if you need them...

Hedgehog

A

Anonymous

Hedgehog:
reggaedave,

Just a quick note to say that the CDP you linked to earlier is the Quad CDS, rather than the CDP, which I think is is predecessor of the CDP-2. That's important because the CDP has a digital pre-amp with DAC and 6 digital inputs built in, and the CDS does not! Quite a difference if you need them...

Hedgehog

The one i have in mind is defo a QUAD 99 CDP...(THANKS FOR THE WARNING)

just thinking how good it may be normally connected to my audiolabs....

d_a_n1979

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
After reading through this again, IMO, you'd be best to stick with the Audiolab and keep the synergy going
emotion-5.gif

Re the M/A RX2's; I agree, their bass is fairly full on but when I demo'd them that's what I liked about them as their midrange and treble shone outright as well. The ones I demo'd though had at least 150hours through them so that could make a big difference!

The hifi store guy said that they're fairly boomy straight out the box...

Were the M/A speakers on decent stands & mass loaded at all?

A

Anonymous

Im going to end up with the audiolab cd i think at this rate.

The MA speakers where set up in a proper demo room on dreadnought stands i think, they were alrite just not my cup of tea .

A

Anonymous

Going to take my Paganini for a few vs demo's, against the Audiolab cd firstly.

Got my eye on some 2k speakers aswell but that's a secret for the time being...lol

A

Anonymous

JoelSim:

watch this space....

TRENDING THREADS