New EPG , not impressed so far..

jase fox

Apr 24, 2008
Visit site
Ever since i got the new EPG from sky its been much slower at responding to the remote etc & ive had to reboot it at least once or sometimes twice a week as it keeps crashing, before i had the new guide my box work beautifully & never hardly had to reboot as it never used to freeze.

Is this just me or is anybody else experiencing this?

bretty

Jul 20, 2007
Visit site
Hi Jase,

I haven't had the box crash since the new EPG came through. You're right, though, the slow response time for any command is a proper pain in the ***.

D.J.KRIME

Jun 28, 2007
Visit site
You are definatly right about there being a lag on the remote but to be honest my box has behavied itself far better than with the old EPG.

I have had no signal drop-out on the 2nd tuner as I often had to re-boot the box before as this happened alot causing missed recordings.

The only thing I have that is rather odd, is if say I am watching BBC1 then switch to C4HD(both on favourites list) then hit the blue button to check through my favourite chanels, the process will start at the chanel I was watching last rather than the cahnel I am curently viewing.
emotion-7.gif

jase fox

Apr 24, 2008
Visit site
bretty:
Hi Jase,

I haven't had the box crash since the new EPG came through. You're right, though, the slow response time for any command is a proper pain in the ***.
I'll definatley 2nd that Bretty !!

Cofnchtr

Oct 4, 2007
Visit site
D.J.KRIME:
The only thing I have that is rather odd, is if say I am watching BBC1 then switch to C4HD(both on favourites list) then hit the blue button to check through my favourite chanels, the process will start at the chanel I was watching last rather than the cahnel I am curently viewing.
emotion-7.gif

Hi,

This is one thing I found a bit annoying to begin with but I have got used to it now, it just happens because of the dual function of the blue button. Could be easily rectified by reassigning the functions of the coloured buttons when the bar comes up.

Cheers,

Cofnchtr.

tvmog

Apr 1, 2008
Visit site
jase fox:Ever since i got the new EPG from sky its been much slower at responding to the remote etc & ive had to reboot it at least once or sometimes twice a week as it keeps crashing, before i had the new guide my box work beautifully & never hardly had to reboot as it never used to freeze. Is this just me or is anybody else experiencing this?

I've had to do 3 resets because of "no sattelite signal is being recieved" since my EPG was upgraded 12 days ago. Certainly more frequent than before

Wightknight

Jul 29, 2007
Visit site
I haven't had any crashes with mine.

I agree that the new system is slower and I have made the mistake - several times - of pressing a button twice because I didn't think it had registered.

Having said that, I love the new functionality: The information on the programme comes up automatically; the ability to watch your original programme whilst looking at the guide and being able to preview a new channel; ITV HD; the quick access to record series; series stacking in the planner. All of these benefits far outweigh any minor inconveniences.

If Sky gave you the option to revert to the old EPG, would you really want to do it?

Jonnyhifi

Apr 29, 2009
Visit site
I have the same issue tvmog - No signal being received message . Seems to happen when I set it the box to record 2 progs with overlapping times. Only cure seems to be to unplug/reboot.

Anybody else having this problem?

A

Anonymous

Hi,

same problem i've had to do a power reset every other day so far.

tvmog

Apr 1, 2008
Visit site
stu31:Hi, same problem i've had to do a power reset every other day so far.

I seem to have settled into that pattern as well. Can't seem to hold a connection on both inputs for more than 48 hours. It is always worth checking the status in the setup menu as the failure of one input will only become apparent if you actually need to use two inputs at the same time. I currently don't have any signal on the second LNB, although it is not always the second one that fails. As there is nothing I need to record for a couple of days I am holding off on a reboot to see if it will fix itself.

Although it is usually late afternoon before I discover any problem, the lack of updates on "Anytime" would tend to suggest that the failures occur during the night.

I've got a Thompson box. Are people with other boxes experiencing a similar issue.

Mr Gaz

Jan 13, 2009
Visit site
Hi,

Ive had same problems for couple of weeks with thompson box ,thought it was LNB gone down after investigation on av forums realised it was a power supply unit ( psu) .

These are known to be made of cheap chinese parts on early thompson boxes and frequently don"t last a year , guessing the new EPG guide puts greater demands on these parts resulting in failure to power the LNB this shows as random missing channels and failure to lock onto signal.

Discovered a shop called Digifix in Buxton - psu replaced whilst waiting , box now working perfectly ,picture is noteably better than before having high quality Panasonic capacitors fitted - charged 30 quid .

Check out wwwDigifix all info is there ,hope this helps .

Jonnyhifi

Apr 29, 2009
Visit site
Thanks for the info Mr Gaz , will seek out a Digifix equivalent in my area, in case the signal loss becomes intolerable (currently about once a week). Mine is also a Thomson box, about 2 years old and a replacemnt for my orginal.

RobinKidderminster

May 27, 2009
Visit site
Just to give my experience - new Sky EPG has been great for me. Much quicker and great facilities. Had to reset box twice in 3 weeks but not much worse than before. Sky HD so much better than Virgin.

Alec

Oct 8, 2007
Visit site
I've just got it - a few minutes ago. Hopefully I'll mellow, but so far, yes, if they offered me the opportunity to return to the old one I would.

This thing of starting at the last favourite you were on when you want to look through them with your blue button is silly. What's more, it doesn't go into the menu of my favourites when I press tv guide followed by the blue button. And what's even more, I can't seem to click the blue button to make a programme a keeper right after I've pressed record; seems I have to go into my planner to do that.

It was not broken and, therefore, did not need fixing.

Only extra benefit is, if I jump through enough hoops with suitable aplomb I will, I hear, be able to get ITV HD.

A

Anonymous

Obviously every1 is entitled to their own opinion but i think the new epg is great. i dont really understand why ppl would want the old epg back. I have the old style epg on my multi-room box and tbh it sucks now that i'm used to the new epg on the hd box. It does take a while to get used to the new epg, so give it a chance guys! The new functionality and features are great. ive had the new epg since it was first launched and have only had to reboot the box a few times so it seems my experience to-date has been better than some of u.

Alec

Oct 8, 2007
Visit site
I have, on several occasions already, had to make multiple attempts to get it to display my favourites in the tv guide, especially after having, say, set a recording up and gone back into the tv guide. I've also entered my pin more times than ive had hot dinners (just flipping delete it already!).

i dont want to see programmes in a wee square box, nor hear them. i want recorded programmes to stop without my telling them to like they used to.

I'm really really not liking it at all. I have just written a couple of sentences on how it will lead to a decrease in my viewing and, therefore my need for a subscription. Then i realised that thats nonsense because if i still want sky+ functionality, i need to subscribe. So, they keep putting the price up, and making the service worse, and still I'm over a barrel.

Maybe ill just have to get used to not using sky+, so if i miss it i miss it. But then i think i need to subscribe to have certain (SD) channels with sky.

Thanks sky. Thanks a whole lot.

A

Anonymous

al7478 wat a rant lol !! i'm not trying to be confrontational but i really dont get it?? anyway if u dont like the mini tv .... turn it off in the settings!! I think some of the new epg issues are related to the type of hd box. Ive not experienced ANY of these issues.

Alec

Oct 8, 2007
Visit site
Brabantia:al7478 wat a rant lol !! i'm not trying to be confrontational but i really dont get it?? anyway if u dont like the mini tv .... turn it off in the settings!! I think some of the new epg issues are related to the type of hd box. Ive not experienced ANY of these issues.

"I'm H.A.P.P.Y. ..."
emotion-5.gif

Possibly.

Alec

Oct 8, 2007
Visit site
And why must i wait until the box says im allowed to delete something? if i want to delete something i dont expect to have to try several times. Are you listening, S... No. No of course you're not. how utterly stupid of me to even consider the possibility.

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
al7478:And why must i wait until the box says im allowed to delete something? if i want to delete something i dont expect to have to try several times.

What are you on about? I just press the yellow button and it's gone!

PIN? you haven't got all the child-proofing security rubbish switched on have you? All mine's off, I've never seen any of the issues you've mentioned.

A

Anonymous

al7478 i see u r still ranting this week lol u do make me laugh but wat r u on about??? i really dont have a clue! as yer man says ... just press the yellow button and it does wat it says on the tin! any more issues u want to rant about? :)

Alec

Oct 8, 2007
Visit site
probably many brabantia, i just have to discover them first. often on mine, the yellow button option just doesnt appera. Yes, ven if i press the l/r arrow buttons to get more options. it always appears eventually, but eventualy isnt good enough. often i have to forget about it and try later.

EDIT dont think i have any child stuff on.

SpiceWeasel

Apr 10, 2008
Visit site
The only good thing about the new EPG is it groups series recording together. The new EPG is much slower than the old version and with the new improved version tv guide you can only see half the amount of channels, so it takes longer to flick through the tv guide. I turned off the mini tv preview thing in the settings and I can now see the full list on one page like I used to with the old EPG.

Why on earth did they make the on screen info so small with the new EPG? If you type in a channel number the on screen info box is tiny in comparison to the old version, fine for me as I have 20/20 vision but it might be a problem if you suffer from poor eye sight.

So SKY can I please have the much faster more stable old EPG with the planner from the new version. At the very least let me choose if I want to keep the old version or not
emotion-12.gif

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts