Hi

I currently have the following equipment

Blu-ray Player - Sony BDP S500

DVD Player - PioneerDVI-989AViS

Receiver - Pioneer VSX-LX70

Speakers - KEF KHT3005

TV - Pioneer PDP508A (true HD Kuro)

I am considering either:

- buying the new Denon DVD-2500BT Blu-ray transport and connecting it to my receiver with HDMI

- buying the Denon DVD 3800DB Blu-ray player and connecting it to my receiver with 7.1 channel analogue outs and to my TV with HDMI.

Which of these choices (if any) makes sense in terms of my system. In particular, will the Denon players be better at playing DVDs than the excellent pioneer DVD player

In addition, my system is a bit bright. Will the Denon players improve this,

Finally (I hope). Where can I find some decent information on the Denon players. The Denon site is very limited. For Example, how large and heavy are the players?

Thankyou for your advice

Stormboy

jase fox

Apr 24, 2008
Visit site
Stormboy:
Hi

I currently have the following equipment

Blu-ray Player - Sony BDP S500

DVD Player - PioneerDVI-989AViS

Receiver - Pioneer VSX-LX70

Speakers - KEF KHT3005

TV - Pioneer PDP508A (true HD Kuro)

I am considering either:

- buying the new Denon DVD-2500BT Blu-ray transport and connecting it to my receiver with HDMI

- buying the Denon DVD 3800DB Blu-ray player and connecting it to my receiver with 7.1 channel analogue outs and to my TV with HDMI.

Which of these choices (if any) makes sense in terms of my system. In particular, will the Denon players be better at playing DVDs than the excellent pioneer DVD player

In addition, my system is a bit bright. Will the Denon players improve this,

Finally (I hope). Where can I find some decent information on the Denon players. The Denon site is very limited. For Example, how large and heavy are the players?

Thankyou for your advice

Stormboy
I have the same amp as you & i just recently got the Denon 2500bt transport & its the best bluray player thats out there at the present IMO ! The pic & sound quality that this player produces is 2nd to none, its also an absolute belter for playing standard dvds, prob the best ive seen, i cant comment on the 989 your currently using as ive never seen it working, but i cant honestly see it being better than the Denon as its so damn good!! Being able to have a demo of the denon would be your best bet, but take it from me stormboy once youve experienced the denon theres no going back in terms of bluray performance, so id say to anybody not to demo this player unless your willing to buy? youll know what i mean when you see its performance?

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
The Denon DVD-3800BD Blu-ray player isn't scheduled for release until November, which is probably why there's so little information around.

From our initial briefings with Denon, I can add that the player's expected to weigh in at around 10kg, and be available in black, silver and 'premium silver' - so it'll match up with Denon receivers old and new.

Denon claims the DVD-3800BD will offer DVD performance on a par with its dedicated DVD-3930 DVD player (whereas the DVD-2500BT Blu-ray transport is on a level with the DVD-2930), plus 'high-end CD performance'. The player's stereo and multichannel audio sections are separated to aim for this music-plus-movies approach.

As well as on-board audio decoding (which the '2500BT obviously lacks), the Denon DVD-3800BD will also offer step-up video processing - using a 10-bit REALTA video chipset compared to the 2500BT's standard 10-bit processor.

Like the DVD-2500BT, the DVD-3800BD will be a profile 1.1 player, without an ethernet connection. It's expected to cost £1600+ on release.

Stormboy

Sep 24, 2008
Visit site
Hi Clare

Thanks fior the info on the DVD-3800BD.

Would I get better DVD performance from the DVD-2500BT or the Pioneer DVI-989AViS (a former What Hi-Fi award winner).

Stormboy

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
Sadly, Stormboy, my psychic powers don't extend that far! I'd say
it'd be a close-run thing between the Pioneer and the Denon 2500BT, but
the bigger Denon - if Denon are right re its DVD performance - should
be a different matter.
Why not take your Pioneer (and some of your favourite DVDs) along to audition both Denons?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts