new CD player or DacMagic?

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Having recently purchased AVI Neutron 5 speakers (which I love) I want to upgrade my other components to match. The Neutrons are currently paired with a Arcam Alpha 5 amp and a Toshiba DVD player which upscales nicely on my flatscreen -- I also use this to play CDs. I've got high quality interconnects and speaker cables (Chord Carnival Silverscreen).

Current thinking is that the DVD player is the weakest link. I've been eyeing up the Cyrus 6 and Nad C545BEE but am also considering investing in a separate DAC instead. That would mean keeping my DVD player as transport and later upgrade to a Blu-ray player, and also enabling me to stream from the laptop and/or a media PC.

The question is... what do you think the sonic performance of a modern DVD player + DacMagic -- or make that a Blu-ray player in the £200-300 bracket in the near future -- vs a dedicated CD player like the Cyrus6, NAD 545, Creek Evo... I very much doubt I'll be able to audition for comparison so I may need to make some assumptions here.

If I spent say £220 on DacMagic vs £500 or more for a dedicated CD, I'd also have extra money to put towards a new amp to match...

Does this make sense to anyone?

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
storsvante:
Having recently purchased AVI Neutron 5 speakers (which I love) I want to upgrade my other components to match. The Neutrons are currently paired with a Arcam Alpha 5 amp and a Toshiba DVD player which upscales nicely on my flatscreen -- I also use this to play CDs. I've got high quality interconnects and speaker cables (Chord Carnival Silverscreen).

Current thinking is that the DVD player is the weakest link. I've been eyeing up the Cyrus 6 and Nad C545BEE but am also considering investing in a separate DAC instead. That would mean keeping my DVD player as transport and later upgrade to a Blu-ray player, and also enabling me to stream from the laptop and/or a media PC.

The question is... what do you think the sonic performance of a modern DVD player + DacMagic -- or make that a Blu-ray player in the £200-300 bracket in the near future -- vs a dedicated CD player like the Cyrus6, NAD 545, Creek Evo... I very much doubt I'll be able to audition for comparison so I may need to make some assumptions here.

If I spent say £220 on DacMagic vs £500 or more for a dedicated CD, I'd also have extra money to put towards a new amp to match...

Does this make sense to anyone?

First of all, I think to see the best out of the DM or a decent cd player, you will need an amp upgrade too. I have my DacMagic connected to my BD player and it does a fine job. However, with lossless files streamed to the DM, it is brilliant - better than the cd players you mention. So much so, I never use cds anymore. This was the reason I didn't go with a dedicated cd player. As you say that you would like to be able to stream from a laptop or pc, it's a bit of a no brainer. I would try to see if you could find a Richer Sounds store that is still doing the Cambridge Audio 840A v1 amp (I have it) for £399 (originally £750) and add the DM to it. This would blow your current system away - especially if you stream your music.

John Duncan

Agree with all that gerrard says, particularly the amp bit - I think you'll get better performance from a modest transport and a DAC with a stonking amp than a stonking CD player through the Alpha 5, which is a bit dull (sorry).

A

Anonymous

I have just bought a Cambridge Audio Dacmagic to play lossless files from my laptop.

I have done an A/B comparison with my CD player (Arcam CD192).

By a very small margin the CD player provides slightly better clarity. But its a close run thing.

The DAC may improve with burn-in?!! (Ducks for cover) I'll wait and see.

The reason I bought the DAC was for convenience and I am so impressed with the sound quality I have now ordered a Squeezebox Duet. I want to be able to select random tracks, playlists and internet radio from the comfort of my armchair.

Playing tracks from Spotify through the DAC is also impressive.

If you have not tried Spotify - you should.

I'm keeping the DAC and (based on my initial findings) I am unlikely to buy another CD player.

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
heystak:I have just bought a Cambridge Audio Dacmagic to play lossless files from my laptop.

I have done an A/B comparison with my CD player (Arcam CD192).

By a very small margin the CD player provides slightly better clarity. But its a close run thing.

The DAC may improve with burn-in?!! (Ducks for cover) I'll wait and see.

The reason I bought the DAC was for convenience and I am so impressed with the sound quality I have now ordered a Squeezebox Duet. I want to be able to select random tracks, playlists and internet radio from the comfort of my armchair.

Playing tracks from Spotify through the DAC is also impressive.

I'm keeping the DAC and (based on my initial findings) I am unlikely to buy another CD player.

I didn't notice a burn in period but plenty have mentioned it. I think that I just loved the sound straightaway and didn't worry about listening for tiny improvements.

I'm a bit disappointed that you didn't find the DM edge the 192, just to have some jesting with Joel!

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
JohnDuncan:Gerrardasnails:I'm a bit disappointed that you didn't find the DM edge the 192, just to have some jesting with Joel!

Yes, curses. Must be the interconnects...

Exactly my thoughts JD, which cables are you using heystak?

A

Anonymous

Gerrardasnails:

My usual interconnects are VDH D102 111 but I do not have 2 pairs of these to do a proper A/B comparison.

So I had to dig out of the loft 2 sets of Tandy interconnects I bought in about 1980.

Although they dont sound too bad against the VDH.

Once I have finished testing I will use the VDH interconnects with the DAC.

A

Anonymous

heystak:Playing tracks from Spotify through the DAC is also impressive.

I have tried Spotify but only through rubbish hifi / computer speakers. I sort of assumed that being streamed over the Internet, it would be compressed beyond recognition but would LOVE to be told otherwise as they have a marvellous library of songs!

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
heystak:Gerrardasnails:

My usual interconnects are VDH D102 111 but I do not have 2 pairs of these to do a proper A/B comparison.

So I had to dig out of the loft 2 sets of Tandy interconnects I bought in about 1980.

Although they dont sound too bad against the VDH.

Once I have finished testing I will use the VDH interconnects with the DAC.

Aha! You should definitely get an improvement with the VDH cables.

A

Anonymous

Spotify uses the Ogg Vorbis codec at a 5 compression level, which gives approx 160k streams, perhaps comparable to 192k AACs.

Not fantastic, but about average for streaming music, 256k AAC would likely be better, but iTunes is a purchase and Spotify is a tenner a month or free with irritating ads.

I really like Spotify, particularly as it integrates with last.fm another service you should try if you stream music. A service which tracks what you have listened to and can make recommendations and similar, fab.

A

Anonymous

storsvante:

I have tried Spotify but only through rubbish hifi / computer speakers. I sort of assumed that being streamed over the Internet, it would be compressed beyond recognition but would LOVE to be told otherwise as they have a marvellous library of songs!

Most things streamed over the internet sound hollow / tinny / cr*p but tracks on Spotify sound excellent. Good clarity, detail and soudstage.

I've only been using Spotify for 2 days but I can see it completely changing the way I access music.

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
heystak:storsvante:

Most things streamed over the internet sound hollow / tinny / cr*p but tracks on Spotify sound excellent. Good clarity, detail and soudstage.

I've only been using Spotify for 2 days but I can see it completely changing the way I access music.

It looks like a good way of listening to some music before going out and buying it for better quality versions.

A

Anonymous

zzgavin:Spotify is a tenner a month or free with irritating ads

The ads (lasting about 20 seconds) come on about every 30 minutes when listening to popular artists.

When listening to lesser known artists ads are rare or non existent.

Bearing in mind most radio stations have music interupted by DJs or news - then the free Spotify service is a great alternative.

A

Anonymous

Gerrardasnails: It looks like a good way of listening to some music before going out and buying it for better quality versions.

Exactly as I've been using it since November, anyone want an invite I have 8 to give away...

The ads do interrupt less popular music too and come in suddenly, but they need to make money somehow.

Will probably pay for the service soon

A

Anonymous

zzgavin:
Gerrardasnails: It looks like a good way of listening to some music before going out and buying it for better quality versions.

Exactly as I've been using it since November, anyone want an invite I have 8 to give away...

The ads do interrupt less popular music too and come in suddenly, but they need to make money somehow.

Will probably pay for the service soon

You don't need an invite - just register on spotify.com

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts