New CD player or DAC?

stanleyk

Apr 1, 2009
Visit site
I recently replaced my Celestion F10 with Epos M12 (secondhand) in my system (Marantz CD6000ose, NAD 320bee), but am still umming and erring over the sound, I think it may be the source that is the problem, just lacking a little dynamics for me, any thoughts?

Would a replacement CD player, thinking maybe second hand NAD, improve my system, or pairing the Marantz with Beresford (a future upgrade for digital music too) work out?

Thanks

idc

stanleyk:

.......(a future upgrade for digital music too) work out?.....

Hi stanleyk. The above suggests that DAC is the way to go. The Beresford is highly thought of on the forum and if you go for the TC-7520 there is a USB port to allow the simplest connection to a PC. At £150 it represents a very good value upgrade. Also consider the V-DAC and Fubar USB for similar prices and the DacMagic for a bit more.

A

Anonymous

If you like the Marantz house sound, you probably may not like the Beresford sound. It would be best if you audition the dac first.

You may also consider the Dac Magic as you may find this to your liking.

I demo'ed both and went with the Dac Magic. I wasn't impressed with the Beresford.

idc

The Fubar only has a USB, so on second thoughts, it may not suit you as you suggest that you want to plug more then just a PC in to the DAC.

Search the forum and read the various threads on the other three recommendations, plus the site reviews and you will get a flavour of the sound of each and which you would prefer.

A

Anonymous

Tarquinh:Second the V-dac.

Same here: I've received the V-DAC yesterday, and is awesome! I've plugged it into my chain, connecting the CD player, the airport express, and my laptop. Honestly I've found the K2 cd player sounding a tad better (in terms of transparency), but the airport express (and spotify)....well this is heaven! And you can find the V-DAC for just £129: absolute bargain!

A

Anonymous

realmassy:

Same here: I've received the V-DAC yesterday, and is awesome! I've plugged it into my chain, connecting the CD player, the airport express, and my laptop. Honestly I've found the K2 cd player sounding a tad better (in terms of transparency), but the airport express (and spotify)....well this is heaven! And you can find the V-DAC for just £129: absolute bargain!

Realmassy, can You possibly tell me where I can get V-DAC for £129...

Thanks!

simonlewis

Apr 15, 2008
Visit site
Evelith:realmassy:

Realmassy, can You possibly tell me where I can get V-DAC for £129...

Thanks!

Acton gate audio.

stanleyk

Apr 1, 2009
Visit site
I lilke the clarity of the Marantz, but would like something a little warmer sounding and a bi tmore dynamic, is this asking too much from it, even pairing it with a DAC? Do I need to change the cd player, and look at dac upgrade even further down the line? Any CD Player recommendations?

A

Anonymous

Yes.. Acton Gate. £129 and free delivery: I will soon order a V-Can as well, just £89!

idc

stanleyk:

I lilke the clarity of the Marantz, but would like something a little warmer sounding and a bi tmore dynamic, is this asking too much from it, even pairing it with a DAC? Do I need to change the cd player, and look at dac upgrade even further down the line? Any CD Player recommendations?

I don't think you need to change the CDP as once connected to the DAC is become as transport and your Marantz is good enough for that. As for the sound, warmer suggests the V-DAC, which also majors on clarity and midrange. Someone else will hopefully point you as to whether the Beresford or DacMagic is more dynamic. Boosting both warmth and dynamism is difficult to get.

idc

realmassy:

Realmassey, have you now got Spotify for the first time through your DAC? Could it be Spotify as much as the DAC that has resulted in heaven....see here.. http://community.whathifi.com/forums/2/270892/ShowThread.aspx#270892

A

Anonymous

idc:

Realmassey, have you now got Spotify for the first time through your DAC? Could it be Spotify as much as the DAC that has resulted in heaven....see here.. http://community.whathifi.com/forums/2/270892/ShowThread.aspx#270892

Honestly the quality of Spotify was already good plugging the headphones into the laptop (never tried to connect the laptop to the amplifier through RCA), but the DAC has clearly improved the sound. I'll compare to ITunes and let you know.

A

Anonymous

Thanks for info re. v-dac guys. One more box coming soon...
emotion-2.gif

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts