New cartridge

matthewpiano

Currently have a Sumiko EVO BPSIII high output MC cartridge on my Michell. Only problem is there is no stylus cover on the EVO because its an open bodied design and this + open turntable design = frustrations with dust. The Michell Unicover keeps dust off the TT, but not the stylus.

I like the detailed sound of the Sumiko although a tad more warmth would be nice. Any suggestions for a replacement cartridge not too far above the £100 mark, which has a stylus cover? MM or high output MC please as no MC input on my Slee amp. Denon?? I'm using an RB250 arm and have the VTA adjuster.

A

Anonymous

chebby:My MM suggestion would be a Goldring 1012 GX (Around £100) as this is not only a great cartridge in it's own right, but also gives the easy upgrade path to the 1042 eventually.
I'd also suggest Goldring. My dad has a Plannar 3 with a Goldring 1006 which sounds superb. All the Goldring cartridges in this series can ultimately be upgraded to a 1042 by stylus replacement. Lots of detail and great separation.

http://www.goldring.co.uk/moving_magnet_cartridge/

T

the record spot

Yep, ditto that - the Goldring 1000-series is a fine recommendation; the 1012GX would be a good start (£110 or so). Denon DL-103 is pretty warm sounding too as well as the 110. The Audio Technica range is probably too clinical or bright for your ears, though they track better than any others up to ttwice the price and have an excellent soundstage.

Dynavector 10x5 is way over your budget (£250 or so), but has endless good writeups and worth bearing in mind for the future.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts