New Cartridge MM or MC and how much to spend ?

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi All

I have a Pro-ject Xpression III Turntable, how much should I spend on a new cartridge without going overboard. Be it MM or MC.

Big thanks Les

A

Anonymous

Off topic - that's a lovely system you have there, BigBang! I wish I could hear how it sounds! Change your signature though, it's 683, not 863...

T

the record spot

Depending on the sound you like, Denon-DL110, Audio Technica AT440MLa, Ortofon 2M Red, Goldring 1006 or the 1012GX....all would be good options for that deck. Wouldn't go with any MC options as MM should more than suffice.

A

Anonymous

Which is the easiest to fit out of that lot, I'm in the same boat...

T

the record spot

I tend to find all cartridges much of a muchness with the exception of Rega (of the ones I have tried to date) who have three screws in the head of their cartridges, so making alignment a doddle!

The AT and Goldrings were pretty easy to fit; an old Glanz cartridge I had was the same, though you don't see many of these in the UK anymore. Don't know about the newer Ortofon's, etc, alas.

A

Anonymous

the record spot:I tend to find all cartridges much of a muchness with the exception of Rega (of the ones I have tried to date) who have three screws in the head of their cartridges, so making alignment a doddle!

The AT and Goldrings were pretty easy to fit; an old Glanz cartridge I had was the same, though you don't see many of these in the UK anymore. Don't know about the newer Ortofon's, etc, alas.

Will the rega cartridges go on my Project Debut III's arm though? If not, I'm actually getting a 2M Red (because I found some in stock!)

T

the record spot

I don't see why not, you just wouldn't fit the middle nut, although I've never needed to fit a Rega to another deck.

However, with the sound you're after, I'd still recommend you have a look at the AT440MLa - very punchy, upfront, clear as a bell with enough bass to question the need for a subwoofer. I think that's the kind of sound you've mentioned in the past anyway although you need to shop around a bit to get it for less than £90. My vote for best cartridge under £100 but you must want that kind of sound. If you want warm and fuzzy, look elsewhere.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts