New Bookshelf Speakers Required

Jason36

Jul 23, 2008
Visit site
Having just moved in with my girlfriend, my hi-fi (due to space) has been relegated to the dining room, where I work from daily. My current Castle speakers are placed on shelves built in either side of a chimney breast.....they sit approximately 6 foot apart and about 1 foot away from a back wall. connected to a Marantz PM6003 Amplifier and at the moment a Philips CD624 CDP and also an ipod via an Onkyo dock.

I want to upgrade the speakers and have up to £500 to spend. Im looking for advice on suitable shelf mounted speakers and also whether I can improve the sound by placing them on anything or using bluetack to fix them to the shelf?

A

Anonymous

Totem Dreamcatchers, which are really small, or the Q acoustics smaller speakers. Heard the latter to-day - really good sound for a bargain price.

A

Anonymous

Do you HAVE to have the speakers on the shelves or are you able to use the Atacama stands you've already got?

If they must go on the shelves then I'd say use blu-tac as it does hell of a good job on stands
emotion-5.gif

As for speakers; you could consider the Dali Lektor 2's, Arcaydis DM1's, EB Acoustic EB1's, B&W 685's, Monitor Audio RX1's or the BX2's...

Really for your situation and in my opinion, I think a forward firing speaker would be the wisest of choice as with the rear firing speaker you could end up with a lot of bass boom!

A

Anonymous

Actually, bass boom isn't a major problem with the Q Acoustics. I queried it at the demo to-day, and the dealer responded by putting them a couple of centimeters from the rear wall. Given the volume they were playing at, the bass was only beginning to show signs of breaking up.

We also heard the MA BX2s by the way. They were rather shown up by the amplification being used.

Sizzers

Jun 20, 2008
Visit site
I would put AVI Neutron V's on the listening list as well.

Admittedly I've only heard them the once but in a not dissimilar positioning to your's and they were sublime. A number of members on here have recommended Tesco granite chopping boards for isolation (not tried them personally) but they'll nicely match the finish of the speakers.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts