New big box 5.1 speakers on the horizon?

strapped for cash

Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
Are there any 5.1 speaker packages on the horizon at around the £1,000 mark worth getting excited about? Nothing available at this particular price point has got me really excited at the moment. B&W are great, but having owned their speakers for roughly a decade I'm looking for something a touch less forthright and fatiguing.

Perhaps there's an upcoming review of an MA BX 5.1 system? I'd be very interested to read that. I can't afford the Apex range, much as I'd like to, and I feel like I'm scrabbling around in the dirt trying to find a package I really want to invest in.

By the way, I'm talking big (or bigger) box speakers here, rather than cuter alternatives (though it would be an advantage if they didn't look too prosaic or ugly).

A

Anonymous

the monitor audio br5 pack is going real cheap at the mo strapped , its great imo , my room is 4.5m x 4.1 and only last night i was mentioning to a friend how anything bigger/better for my room would be overkill, its great ...

i have ma rx6 fronts but the br5s are great anyway ...

strapped for cash

Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
The only thing that puts me off, Max, is that apparently they sound a touch boomy when placed close to a wall (which would be the case is my relatively small living room). You were right to go for the RX6 fronts in my opinion, though these still retail at £750, so a little beyond my reach.

I don't know why I'm having such a hard time finding a package to suit. I was gutted that I had to let the Dali Suites go (Sevenoaks have now sold out of the rears, anyway). Had it not been for the 4 ohm issue I'd have jumped straight in, but it just didn't seem worth risking damage to receiver or speakers.

A

Anonymous

Hi strapped,,,

The bronze av package is excellent,,,,,,,,in fact they can produce a huge sound . I dropped my coffee when the plane flies over head in Slumdog millionaire......scared the bejusus out of me...

I have now customised my Monitor Audio av set up to suit my room and it works very well......My fronts are BR1's, Center is Raduis 225, Rears are Radius 45's ( which are excellent). and my woofer is the Vector Sub...

I have the port bungs in the BR1's and it is a well balanced system in a small room.........all the crossovers have their own individual settings....

D

A

Anonymous

Hi,

Yeah it works really well, I used to have the bronze center. it was just a bit big physicaly for my room, so I went for the Radius 225, The drivers are smaller but I wouldn't say I notice, clarity of speech has improved and intergration with the Br1's is excellent. I also tested using Radius 90hd as the fronts but to be honest the Br1's were much better.

I found tweaking my crossover settings really helped with the overall coheasive sound during movies.....

if you have a thousand to spend you might even have change for another toy if you went down the bronze route or a combo of stufff.

Happy pondering on a sunday
emotion-1.gif

A

Anonymous

brittondave:
Hi,

Yeah it works really well, I used to have the bronze center. it was just a bit big physicaly for my room, so I went for the Radius 225, The drivers are smaller but I wouldn't say I notice, clarity of speech has improved and intergration with the Br1's is excellent. I also tested using Radius 90hd as the fronts but to be honest the Br1's were much better.

I found tweaking my crossover settings really helped with the overall coheasive sound during movies.....

if you have a thousand to spend you might even have change for another toy if you went down the bronze route or a combo of stufff.

Happy pondering on a sunday
emotion-1.gif

Hi i was just reading your thread and wondering how you go about tweaking the crossover setting's on a MA BR5 5.1 speaker package. Thank's

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts