New beta firmware available for M-DAC - display dimming!

busb

Jun 14, 2011
Visit site
Dominik of Lake West has just posted a beta version (a.04) of the M-DAC firmware that includes the ability to exclude all but 2 filter profiles when scrolling through them, absolute phase invert; input phase lock banwidth settings; display dimming after 20" or display dimming to "L A K E . W E S T" after 20".

It's very easy to update - available from PFM (post #561). This is provided by the designer & not audiolab. The original firmware is also available so can be rolled back. I have updated mine about 6 times over the last few months without a hitch. This beta is likely to be very close to the final update. You obviously use at your own risk.

eggontoast

Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
busb said:
Dominik of Lake West has just posted a beta version (a.04) of the M-DAC firmware that includes the ability to exclude all but 2 filter profiles when scrolling through them, absolute phase invert; input phase lock banwidth settings; display dimming after 20" or display dimming to "L A K E . W E S T" after 20".

It's very easy to update - available from PFM (post #561). This is provided by the designer & not audiolab. The original firmware is also available so can be rolled back. I have updated mine about 6 times over the last few months without a hitch. This beta is likely to be very close to the final update. You obviously use at your own risk.
Is there a complete list of changes anywhere for this firmware update and have you found it stable ?

busb

Jun 14, 2011
Visit site
Unfortunately, it's not well documented! There's also been 2 versions since my post with susposedly subtly different SQ, the last version enabling you to switch between the 2 (A.06). There have been at least 6 firmware updates since launch! John Westlake is very busy designing the B-DAC, M-AMP, M-PAX & at his own admission, isn't too good at documentation!

All I can say is that the updating process on Windows works flawlessly but finding earlier versions might be hard to roll back to. Until someone documents all these changes on John's behalf, it maybe a good idea to hold fire until a final version is available but don't bother looking to audiolab for updates - they don't even have a link to the bitperfect test files the last time I looked. Some versions have had minor bugs but none have caused problems.

Since launch:

Absolute phase invert

SPDIF PLL bandwidth options that have helped those using the Logitech SB having lock problems (Jitter rejection Option)

A workaround for a bug in the DAC chipset that the manufacturer isn't addressing

Mute function pausing playback via USB

Display dimming - either dims the display or dims then display then shows " L A K E . W E S T " after 20"

Powerup to last selected input or chosen input (bug to be resolved)

Universal remote control codes to allow direct access to inputs without having to scroll

The ability to reduce filter options to just 2 during scrolling

(I think that's it!)

Future possible options may include input renaming but may loose absolute phase invert but am not certain about this

The M-PAX is supposedly going to include a beefed-up PSU for the M-DAC, a basic FM tuner & analogue input(s) but not sure if means an ADC or analogue output. The M-AMP is going to use modified class A with a future class D design (JW either owns some novel class D patents himself or has been the inventer - no sure which). I'm also not sure what projects will be marketed by JW as Lake West or by Creek. He has also upgraded the SQ on certain customer units sent to him in the Czech Repulic & intends to continue to do so! On one hand, even John has lost count of the options he's made available & on the other, continues to support a product well beyond the call of duty!

eggontoast

Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
Are you currently running the A0.6 firmware ?

The threads on PFM are a bit long winded and its difficult to find anything on there, I did find a copy of the original version though (V0.9) so might give the upgrade ago. Someone needs to create a sticky on the threads with links to the various firmware versions.

busb

Jun 14, 2011
Visit site
Yes, I'm running A0.6 at the moment but I'm deaf in one ear (wax) so cannot comment on SQ. You are not the 1st to mention the difficulty of finding updates so have just posted a request to consolidate all this stuff into a sticky.

eggontoast

Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
One other question, I am running a 64-bit version of windows 7, I think I read somewhere that you can't update the firmware from a 64-bit system is that true or can you run it in XP compatibility mode ?

busb

Jun 14, 2011
Visit site
eggontoast said:
One other question, I am running a 64-bit version of windows 7, I think I read somewhere that you can't update the firmware from a 64-bit system is that true or can you run it in XP compatibility mode ?

That's not an issue. Some people have had problems running Windows VM on a MAC.

eggontoast

Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
I need a bit of guidance with the bit perfect test.

I have downloaded the test waves, loaded them into mediamonkey and replayed them into the m-dac which is in the bitperfect test. The display just shows 'scanning for match'

What does that mean, the instructions say it should say pass of fail.

Deliriumbassist

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
Completely forgot to post back on this!

I did the test through iTunes, USB direct from my Mac Mini, worked fine. It brought up "scanning for match" momentarily, but then switched to the test.

Have a try with iTunes, see if it does the same as what's happening with Media Monkey.

eggontoast

Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
I didn't realise iTunes did bit perfect playback, anyway, tried it and the same results just sits there 'scanning for match'. The only device I can get to give a pass test is the Sonos.

I tried all different settings in windows 7 and nada, can't get it to work, don't know what else to try.

wilsonlaidlaw

Oct 2, 2011
Visit site
I just sent a message to Dominik at LakeWest as follows:

A "wouldn't it be nice" feature for the next firmware update for the M-DAC: It would be really nice if a different attenuation/boost dB level could be assigned/locked to each source. The signal strength of my four digital sources seems to vary considerably and only on the PURE i20 iPod dock, can I preset the output at the source level. It would be really nice to be able to switch sources without having to alter the volume on my Krell Pre-Amplifier (particularly after my 15 month old grandson has hidden the remote ;-})

Thanks Wilson

Shanka

Jan 10, 2011
Visit site
Hi,

My apologies for a slight hijack but as the thread is aimed at mdac owners......
would the coax from my dvd recorder and optical from virgin v+ play through the mdac or do I need to change any settings ?

I am thinking of getting one and although primarily for music just want to make the most out of it.

Thanks.

plasterman

Apr 30, 2012
Visit site
Shanka said:
Hi, My apologies for a slight hijack but as the thread is aimed at mdac owners...... would the coax from my dvd recorder and optical from virgin v+ play through the mdac or do I need to change any settings ? I am thinking of getting one and although primarily for music just want to make the most out of it. Thanks.

As long as it's 2 channel stereo the mdac will handle it no problem. I have my tv and ps3 hooked up to mine thru the optical inputs no problems at all.

Shanka

Jan 10, 2011
Visit site
Ok, Thanks, so I need to reset, if possible, both players to output audio as 2 channel.

I do not use these at present , just have analogue outs direct to the amp,both manuals say these , coax/opt., are outputting multi channel.

I am expecting a good improvement via the dac.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts