New B&W 686 S2 speakers – anyone listened to them?

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
Definitely better. The new range sounds much clearer throughout the frequency range, and more three dimensional as well. Bass is much tighter, possibly helping detail to escape the box more, and they're much punchier sounding where older models could be a little bass heavy. For £350, the 686 is definitely stiff competition for Q Acoustics' Concept 20...

Bromiley

Feb 10, 2014
Visit site
Thanks, David. I'm glad to hear some positive feedback.

I didn't hear the previous 686, but I have heard the new ones and thought they sounded very good for their size and price. I'm curious to know what amp the speakers were connected to when you listened to them. I want to buy the new 686's and was planning on getting the Rotel RA12 but my budget has dropped unfortunately. The RA-11 didn't sound as nice as the RA-12. I'm now looking at:

1. connecting the speakers to my Denon AVR 1610 until I can get a new amp (Rotel RA-12)

or

2. look at the Marantz PM6005 as it's within budget.

The Marantz, however, only has 45 w at 8 ohm. I'm not sure this will be enough for the speakers.

Any thoughts?

Cypher

Jun 8, 2007
Visit site
A review of these in the new What Hifi would be great...........I have a feeling these are much better than the old 686 speakers.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts