New AV setup

michael hoy

Just thought I would share some pictures of my AV system.

4915541627_503de6214a_m.jpg

4915542629_3090fae855_m.jpg

4915572969_d0eb4982c5_m.jpg

4916388748_7d1e4f2761_m.jpg

4915543423_cb45a3ab9f_m.jpg

4915544339_fddb0309ba_m.jpg

The sub above hiding behind the settee

Typical room so not ideal for speaker placement,we are thinking of putting in a smaller fireplace and mounting the TV above.

D

Deleted member 2457

That looks gorgeous
emotion-21.gif
how does your speakers sound with the pioneer amp?

Thanks

michael hoy

Thanks Gel,

The sound is very good indeed, still running in the speakers.

I think it was the right decision to buy the Pioneer in combination with these speakers, Still have some tweaking to finish with the amp as well.

richardw42

May 2, 2010
Visit site
I'm not a fan of mounting screen higher on a wall (prefer to have it in natural eyeline). But can just make out from your photo that at the moment you have to have screen & front speakers at kind of 1 o'clock from your sofa (do you use a centre?). So in this instance mounting above fireplace is gonna be best for you.
BTW really like the cabinet. Is it well vented at the back?

michael hoy

richardw42:I'm not a fan of mounting screen higher on a wall (prefer to have it in natural eyeline). But can just make out from your photo that at the moment you have to have screen & front speakers at kind of 1 o'clock from your sofa (do you use a centre?). So in this instance mounting above fireplace is gonna be best for you.
BTW really like the cabinet. Is it well vented at the back?

The angle is not quite as bad as it looks, if we replaced the fireplace it would be a lot lower than it is now.

Yes the cabinet is now an open back for the lower half of the cabinet, routered it out last week to fit the new amp.

I do have a centre speaker, it is behind the black accoustic grill (I will add another picture), built the cabinet my self 2 years ago.

michael hoy

Many thanks for all your comments, a lot of hard work and thought went into this project, from making the cabinet to running the cables under the floor.

The system sounds excellent and meets the OH's requirements, I dust the speakers and TV myself (piano black finish) so can only blame myself if any scratches appear.

I now must finish the hallway and staircase
emotion-10.gif

michael hoy

richardw42:You must make furniture for a living.
Apex 5.1 in piano black. It's not 9pm yet

I know what you mean, makes me drool
emotion-4.gif

This was my first attempt at making a cabinet, worked in engineering for a long time then as a design engineer 20 years ago, so had in idea of what to do on paper

Many thanks for the positive feedback.

A

Anonymous

That is a snug setup dude. looks great, got to agree, the cabinet is fantastic. Dunno about putting the TV about the fireplace though, might be too high and it looks so great with the setup you have. Nice to have the TV directly in front though i guess.

A

Anonymous

Hi Michael

thats a really clean looking install and I like the cabinet, your carpentry skills are very good
emotion-21.gif

If you are thinking of changing it around then why not try something like this if the fire isn`t used for heating but just as a feature

firepic.jpg

this still allows you to mount the panel at a lower level for better viewing angles and won`t be compromised with heat travel, anyway just a thought Michael.

The position where your sub is can be a bit tricky as its being excited with being in a corner, I know its not always acheiveable to have it in "the prime position" but it could be sounding a little "EXCITED". The sub in any AV install is always the hardest thing to get right, positioning it will always help but its not that simple especially when other things like wifes and girlfriends come into the aquaision lol.

However that is always the first course of action I would take if allowed to, if not, some sort of room EQ would i`m certain be of help to you in controlling the sub and how it sounds. I would if this is a newish install though take a little time to get used to how its sounding and see if you can settle with it, if not then it can be easy, if you go the right way to help the room and the equipment within it to gel together especially in the LFE dept.

there are numerous ways like using REW and a BFD which is a less expensive option but can be very time consuming and obsessive and only if you`re a tweaker which I definatley aren`t, or you can used something like an antimode 8033c which is a 5 minute solution to many LFE EQ problems.

Anyway once again its a class install and one to be proud of, well done

Al

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
michael hoy: Thanks Gel,

I think it was the right decision to buy the Pioneer in combination with these speakers, Still have some tweaking to finish with the amp as well.

This will be one in the eye for those that keep saying that Pioneer AV amps are bright. I think you made the right choice too, it's a cracking amp. Glad you're happy with it, and hope you get many years of enjoyment out of it
emotion-1.gif

A

Anonymous

Rick @ Musicraft ---> Yamaha DSP Z7, Yamaha DSP Z7, Yamaha DSP Z7, every chance you get!

Al @ AV Ideal ---> Antimode, Antimode, Antimode, every chance you get!

michael hoy

FrankHarveyHiFi:michael hoy: Thanks Gel,

This will be one in the eye for those that keep saying that Pioneer AV amps are bright. I think you made the right choice too, it's a cracking amp. Glad you're happy with it, and hope you get many years of enjoyment out of it
emotion-1.gif

Thanks very much David, I have to say that the sound is definitely not bright , in fact it is on the warm side, whether this will change over time is another matter.

The only thing I cannot work out is if the amp as a pass through option for the HDMI, so I can watch something in HD but may not want to listen through the speakers.

The Denon did have this option and it was quite useful.

michael hoy

Al,

Thank you for your kind comments, as you are aware the sub placement is not ideal, but there just is not anywhere else it can go.

I will let the system run in for a couple of weeks and then work out what to do next.

Maybe some form of Sub EQ whether it is REW or Antimode will be needed.

michael hoy

Thanks Rick, we were going to have a house built and would have had a dedicated room, but resources are getting tighter in this current climate, I also work in local government so with 25% + cuts on the way, now is not the best time for the house.

John Barlow:
Rick @ Musicraft ---> Yamaha DSP Z7, Yamaha DSP Z7, Yamaha DSP Z7, every chance you get!

Al @ AV Ideal ---> Antimode, Antimode, Antimode, every chance you get!

Hi John Barlow

I am sure i have recommened the DSP-Z7 on more then three occasions
emotion-4.gif

Anyway i am trying to maintain a level of consistency
emotion-5.gif
emotion-2.gif

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

A

Anonymous

thanks Andrew

phew!!

and Michael

you can only work with the space you have and have to make the best of it, but there are easier ways (not neccessarily cheaper) to do it than others which is why I use the Ant..............

use what I use, sorry
emotion-2.gif

and as you asked me personally via email I didn`t think you would be offended if I mentionerd what you asked me on your thread

Anyway back on topic, a great room which looks just.........great

no more to say Al
emotion-21.gif

TRENDING THREADS