New av receiver help.....

bretty

Jul 20, 2007
Visit site
Hey all,

Some of you may have read my other threads about upgrading my AV set up. My budget was 4-5K.

Well, I've just had to spend a big chunk of what I had allocated for the upgrade on other, much more boring stuff. Bottom line is I now have £1500 free cash. Nowhere near enough for what I wanted.

Thing is, once I've got the idea of an upgrade in my noggin, I can't shift it, so I want to get something new anyway.

I had an interesting chat with a local hifi/av guy today, about my situation. He surprised me cos, firstly, he actually knew my speakers. Secondly, he'd heard my speakers and loved them! Twas nice to hear (no-one s ever heard of them. The non existent Tannoys!) His opinion is that they are good enough to take much better amplification than my Sony STR-DA5400ES.

he recommended getting a new receiver for the budget I now have and suggested the Denon 4520. He's a huge fan of it. I asked him to try and describe it's sound and he said it's more alive, realistic and hifi than the Sony. He's of the opinion that's it's miles better than the Sony.

What do you lot think?

bretty

Jul 20, 2007
Visit site
I saw some interesting speakers, whilst I was at the dealers, too, by Definitive Technology. Tall, slim, floorstanders with a bipole midrange design (2 drivers; one facing forward, one back). They also had a side mounted, powered 10" sub built into the enclosure. They're called 'super towers'. They also do a centre (again, with a powered sub built in) and a set of surrounds.

I'd not seen them before, or even heard of the brand.

Has anyone else?

Yes, I've heard of Definitive Technology, and demoed them in 2009 when I was in the market for a home cinema system. They were quite good. I demoed them at Audio Images in Sheffield.

Until recently, they've been concentrating in the US only. But they've now been launched alongside Polk Audio in the UK (Including think earlier this month).

Ask your dealer if he could arrange a home demo of the Denon with your speakers.

Series1boy

Oct 14, 2013
Visit site
I've got a pair of rear surround speakers by def tech and they are very good and reasonable in price. I bought them from audio images in Sheffield where BB went and highly recomend them, speak to Andy he's the owner there I think...

bretty

Jul 20, 2007
Visit site
Thanks for your comments, fellas. My local dealer stocks the whole definitive range, so I can demo them there, if I fancy them. The online reviews are mainly positive, apart from the fact that the on board subs make them a bit of a pain to position. They need loads of room round them to stop bass boom.

I can't get a home demo of the 4520 from my dealer, cos they don't actually stock it,
anymore. They're now holding the new X series. Even so, he sold the virtues of the 4520, which I thought was pretty cool of him. If I go for it, I will be buying blind, which is dodge. Unless I can find a local dealer that still has a demo unit.

Series1boy

Oct 14, 2013
Visit site
I love the Denon products and have 3313 BD an 2113 AV reciever. I'll be upgrading to the x4100 for Dolby atmos after Christmas when the price comes down, hopefully. The 4520 is a lovely piece of kit..

bretty

Jul 20, 2007
Visit site
Series1boy said:
The 4520 is a lovely piece of kit..

I'm reading and hearing very good things about the 4520 and the fact that they can be had for £1200 off the ticket price is very enticing. I'm about 80‰ towards saying 'sod it' and just pulling the trigger

bretty

Jul 20, 2007
Visit site
Thanks guys. I have read every online review, I think. The WHF? one is the only one I've read that wasn't completely blown away by it. That's OK though, cos their reviews are a joke these days anyway. They're written on a *** paper.

You mentioned Focal. In my other thread I was talking about getting the Aria surround package. Still might, in fact. Just a bit later than I had planned.

You know what, I'm not going to procrastinate over this. It's only a grand, so I'm gonna take a punt and get it. I'll let you know how it goes......

Son_of_SJ

Sep 10, 2009
Visit site
bretty said:
You know what, I'm not going to procrastinate over this. It's only a grand, so I'm gonna take a punt and get it. I'll let you know how it goes......

Richard Stevenson, who did the Home Cinema Choice review of the Denon, also did a review of a reciever from four seasons ago, the Denon AVR-4810. So I bought it, and the matching Denon DMP 4010 Blu-ray player, blind from Richer Sounds, on the strength of that review, and I've been happy with both ever since. So your getting the Denon 4520 for about £1,099 from Creative Audio maybe, here (scroll down to near the bottom) is a bargain, I paid £2,050 for my old Denon 4810 four years ago, and the Denon 4520 is much more accomplished than mine - 3D, 4K passthrough, more Smart connections etc. However, you might also want to consider the Yamaha RX-A3030, which you can see on the same link, now only £1,199. You can see lovely reviews of it everywhere on google. I have three Yamaha receivers, and I like all of them, the closest to the A3030 that I have is the RX-A2010 in the kitchen and with which I'm very happy, and the 3030 is two generations more modern, and certainly better overall, than my A2010. So whichever you choose, you're in for a treat - and a bargain!

However, I do think that saying

bretty said:
The WHF? one is the only one I've read that wasn't completely blown away by it. That's OK though, cos their reviews are a joke these days anyway. They're written on a *** paper.

is more than a wee bit cheeky when this is the What Hi-Fi forum!!!

bretty

Jul 20, 2007
Visit site
Son_of_SJ said:

bretty said:
The WHF? one is the only one I've read that wasn't completely blown away by it. That's OK though, cos their reviews are a joke these days anyway. They're written on a *** paper.

I don't see it that way. WHF? are just glad we're here, because the more traffic they have the more attractive they are to advertisers. They don't care if we like the mag or not.

For what it's worth, I like the mag for info on new priducts, In fact I was a subscriber for years, but their reviews are too lightweight to be taken seriously. A million pound test room and reviews that can amount to as little as three paragraphs. It's ridiculous!

Back on topic, thanks for your info. You're right, I'd be getting it from Creative. It's a shame I don't still have my original budget, because they're doing the 4520 with the Focal Aria package for over 2K off ticket price!

Thanks for chucking the Yamaha into the mix, but I think I'm set on checking out the Denon.

I'll keep you all updated. I'm gonna order it before Crimbo.

mitch65

Dec 16, 2003
Visit site
bretty said:
Son_of_SJ said:

bretty said:

I don't see it that way. WHF? are just glad we're here, because the more traffic they have the more attractive they are to advertisers. They don't care if we like the mag or not.

Well, it made me chuckle ;)

bretty

Jul 20, 2007
Visit site
mitch65 said:
bretty said:
Son_of_SJ said:

bretty said:

Well, it made me chuckle ;)
Knew I could count on you, Greggles :)

Series1boy

Oct 14, 2013
Visit site
Tha aria speakers look great. I'll be checking them out in jan at audio images. My 716's sound amazing and I've had them for 10 years and still sound great. I'm Deffo going for the x4100 for Dolby atmos and the Denon link to connect to my 3313 BD.

let us know what you think of the 4520 and the aria's.

Son_of_SJ

Sep 10, 2009
Visit site
Series1boy said:

He has only £1,500 now, not enough for the Arias!

Bretty, I'm very interested to hear in due course what you think of the Denon 4520. How many loudspeakers will you be connecting to it?

bretty

Jul 20, 2007
Visit site
Son_of_SJ said:
Series1boy said:

Bretty, I'm very interested to hear in due course what you think of the Denon 4520. How many loudspeakers will you be connecting to it?

initially, it'll be 5.1.

I'll defo chuck a little review up when I get the 4520.

michael hoy

A little bit late on a reply but I had some Def Tech speakers as my first AV set up.

They were very well made and produced a very clear sound stage with the Yamaha receiver I had.

Changed to a Denon receiver and did not get on with it, I thought it was the combo of receiver and speakers, but purchased my Apex system and this did not sound any better with the Denon and ended up with a Pioneer receiver.

bretty

Jul 20, 2007
Visit site
OK, my cogs are still turning here. Bare with me!

Is there any sense in this as an upgrade path?

Getting a Yamaha 3030, then getting the Yamaha CX-A5000 preamp, when funds allow, and use the 3030 as a power amp?

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

I'd get a Sony STR-DA1200ES Bretty, I hear they're very good for both music and movies. *blum3*

Series1boy

Oct 14, 2013
Visit site
Son_of_SJ said:
Series1boy said:

i seem to remember he was going to demo the arias and may be purchase later down the line.

TRENDING THREADS