New AV Amp versus 2nd Hand Options

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
I am looking to upgrade my dated and rather basic Lecron Av amp that has served it's purpose admirably well, but now with a new LCD TV & Denon upscaling DVD player, I feel that a new Onkyo or Denon AV amp would be a worthwhile investment. I have found the new Onkyo amps here for up to €300 but have also seen some fairly substantial Denon amps on eBay and other sites that are 2nd hand and a bit older for similar prices. My query is this...Should I consider an older model with a fairly good spec from Denon or other manufacturers for up to €300 that maybe doesn't decode HD etc but which would be perfectly acceptable to me for Home Cinema use and also music listening and may even prove of better quality than a new amp, or is a new amp with newer technology always going to out-perform an older amp that maybe was far superior in it's day but is now past it's sell by date? Experienced input would be appreciated and if there are any older models that I should be looking into for up to €300, recommendations would also be appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
ricardo65:
I am looking to upgrade my dated and rather basic Lecron Av amp that has served it's purpose admirably well, but now with a new LCD TV & Denon upscaling DVD player, I feel that a new Onkyo or Denon AV amp would be a worthwhile investment. I have found the new Onkyo amps here for up to ?300 but have also seen some fairly substantial Denon amps on eBay and other sites that are 2nd hand and a bit older for similar prices. My query is this...Should I consider an older model with a fairly good spec from Denon or other manufacturers for up to ?300 that maybe doesn't decode HD etc but which would be perfectly acceptable to me for Home Cinema use and also music listening and may even prove of better quality than a new amp, or is a new amp with newer technology always going to out-perform an older amp that maybe was far superior in it's day but is now past it's sell by date? Experienced input would be appreciated and if there are any older models that I should be looking into for up to ?300, recommendations would also be appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Try and get a Sony STR DA1200es for about £200. It's excellent for music and home cinema.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts