New audio interconnect?

T

the record spot

Okay, currently thinking about getting a new stereo interconnect for the Sansui amp. The Audioquest is pretty decent, but worked better with brighter sounding kit to tame and round off the rough edges. Now, the Sansui is a slightly warmer animal and although I have good sound (read excellent) from it, there are times at low volumes when it needs opening up a little.

The source and speakers aren't the issue as they're I think in good balance with the amp. I want a cable which i) doesn't cost the earth (up to £130), ii) is not Chord (I am aware of their product line), iii) isn't warm sounding already, iv) is not Gotham or some other unheard of brand at £5.20 a shot, v) thoughts so far include Brilliance, Atlas, Ecosse, Nordost (Blue Heaven), DNM.

Any thoughts from other people out there? Oh yes, the cable shouldn't be too neutral, I don;t want anything to rob the bass of the amp, but open up the higher end slightly. Speaker cable may be an option too (I use Audioquest Type IV biwire currently) but I don't really want to go down this route as it's an excellent wire for the money (circa £7 a metre at the time) and I've ten metres of the stuff. Not a go-er ideally.

A

Anonymous

One of Silver High Breed's latest offerings would be ideal. The Avatar is the latest and has the thickest silver-coated copper cores they've done yet. The Coherence LE would fit your requirements perfectly based on my experience of the two I have. The treble is slightly forward and etched compared to the Chord CSP and the bass is beautifully tight and punchy.

Picture from http://www.silverhighbreed.com

I'd offer to post you a pair of my Coherence cables to try out but given a new Avatar is £33 it's not worth the cost and effort, you might as well buy one to try!

A

Anonymous

nice thing with SHB, that if you are not entirely happy, you get a no-quibble refund, so may be worth trying

sheehanjuk

Sep 24, 2008
Visit site
I sold my Chord Chameleon for the SHB Avatar. It's all personally taste but for me I find the Avatar has more clarity and soundstage, the bass is tight and not boom-ie like the Chord, the only area of slight concern is the treble.

Im 20 hours into the Avatar and can safety say I dont regret selling the Chord.

A

Anonymous

sheehanjuk:

I sold my Chord Chameleon for the SHB Avatar. It's all personally taste but for me I find the Avatar has more clarity and soundstage, the bass is tight and not boom-ie like the Chord, the only area of slight concern is the treble.

Im 20 hours into the Avatar and can safety say I dont regret selling the Chord.

all depends on what speakers you have ... try adding some cheap used van den hul speaker cable if treble seems a bit bright ...

T

the record spot

Thanks guys, I'll chase these up I think. The amp's going in for a service at the weekend, so will get a pair of new cables in a week or two. If my work contract is renewed, then it'll be my treat!

Thanks again - much appreciated.

JoelSim

Aug 24, 2007
Visit site
the record spot:Thanks guys, I'll chase these up I think. The amp's going in for a service at the weekend, so will get a pair of new cables in a week or two. If my work contract is renewed, then it'll be my treat! Thanks again - much appreciated.

Go for a second hand Nordost

T

the record spot

I did have the Blue Heaven a while back, but I think it would be worth trying out the SHB given the price. Sounds like the interconnect version of EB.
emotion-1.gif

A

Anonymous

The SHB Coherence LE reminds me a lot of the BH, although I've never compared side by side. The nice thing is you don't get that nasty, nagging, grey feeling that it's too expensive and you're going to make a mistake.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts