New ATC SCM11 / 7 vs KEF LS50

audiokid

Sep 17, 2011
Visit site
Merry Christmas!

Picking up from a previous thread, does anyone have any experience with the new ATC SCM 7 and 11? What are the differences? Does the 7 sound the same as the 11 except bass weight and scale?

And how do they compare to the Kef LS50?

They all seem quite hard to drive, so any integrated amp recommendations would be good! I'm not fixed to a specific budget just yet, maybe in the region of £500-£3000.

A

Anonymous

Rick and David will be along soon to help you out....
smiley-wink.gif

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
I would get yourself along to a dealer that has both and have a listen - that way you can try different amplifiers at the same time too. It doesn't matter what anyone else thinks, only you :)

stevebrock

Nov 13, 2009
Visit site
To the OP, these threads rarely achieve what you want, you are asking about 2 speakers, one being quite new to the market and asking for comparisons - is this for you to make a decision?

Just going to listen to them is the ONLY way you can decide for yourself which you think is best!

Other peoples opinions mean nothing - just a guide!

I have myself have been told many times I need better speakers for my amp? What a load of rubbish! I even tried the KEF, Totem and to me my speakers sounded better to me in my room than any others I have heard.

audiokid

Sep 17, 2011
Visit site
Yes, I agree mostly... But it's always good to hear from others who have had demos and also from owners. There's only so much you can pick up in a short demo in someone else's room.

But of course, a personal demo is essential!

stevebrock

Nov 13, 2009
Visit site
audiokid said:
Yes, I agree mostly... But it's always good to hear from others who have had demos and also from owners. There's only so much you can pick up in a short demo in someone else's room.

But of course, a personal demo is essential!

If your hifi dealer wont let you home demo then find someone who does, home demo in 'your' room is essentail for speaker purchases - I know! I learnt the hard way!

audiokid said:
Merry Christmas!

Picking up from a previous thread, does anyone have any experience with the new ATC SCM 7 and 11? What are the differences? Does the 7 sound the same as the 11 except bass weight and scale?

And how do they compare to the Kef LS50?

They all seem quite hard to drive, so any integrated amp recommendations would be good! I'm not fixed to a specific budget just yet, maybe in the region of £500-£3000.

Hi audiokid

There is no difference in HF performance between curved SCM7 and curved SCM11 monitors or for that matter curved SCM19 and curved SCM40 monitors as all four models are using ATC's new SH25-76 HF unit.

As good as curved SCM7 monitors are however curved SCM7's are not as clear, detailed or open in the midrange and they also lack the scale, depth, weight, drive and power in the low frequencies of the curved SCM11 monitors.

Btw, if possible try and also ask your dealer to show you the drive units of the various speakers in the flesh away from the cabinets. Every little helps.

As for amplification if you're also willing to consider used/discontinued amplifiers then a NAD C370 or ATC's SIA2-150 MK1 or for new and at the upper end of your budget Naim's SuperNait 2 and ATC's SIA2-150 MK2 are worth bearing in mind.

Anyway i hope this helps and i hope that you'll enjoy listening to the power and the musical accuracy of ATC's monitors

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

audiokid

Sep 17, 2011
Visit site
Yes, I did wonder about those... But then I'm thinking about the new 40s as they are neater looking (no stands obviously) and benefit from the midrange driver?

A

Anonymous

Both 'neutral' sounding but I guess the LS50s have more bass (just from reading mind).

audiokid

Sep 17, 2011
Visit site
Yes, the KEFs might go a little deeper.

I'm probably going to try the 11s if I go ahead, as they seem to be the sweet spot in the range. On further review, the 19s and 40s are going to be too big, visually.

Would be interested in hearing any comparisons between LS50 and the new ATC SCM11.

audiokid said:
Yes, I did wonder about those... But then I'm thinking about the new 40s as they are neater looking (no stands obviously) and benefit from the midrange driver?

audiokid said:
Yes, the KEFs might go a little deeper.

I'm probably going to try the 11s if I go ahead, as they seem to be the sweet spot in the range. On further review, the 19s and 40s are going to be too big, visually.

Would be interested in hearing any comparisons between LS50 and the new ATC SCM11.

Hi audiokid

We've had the new curved SCM19 and curved SCM40 monitors in recently (the very first production units of both models btw) and i can tell you that there is a bigger gap in overall performance between curved SCM19 monitors and curved SCM11's then the one which exists between curved SCM11's and curved SCM7 monitors.

Anyway, curved SCM40 monitors and the inclusion of the original ATC Soft Dome mid range unit. So far i've found the performance of the curved SCM40 monitors to be simply sublime. Adding to my initial impressions the curved SCM40's are incredibly coherent and just so easy to listen to. Listening to the track These Days (Ane Brun) and the superb integration of the drive units just projects her voice into the room with great power, poise and subtlety
smiley-smile.gif

ATC's Curved SCM19 and curved SCM40 monitors have been a long time coming but boy was it worth the wait.

Have a listen at least. No harm in that
smiley-smile.gif
Also ask your dealer to show you the drive units from the curved SCM19 and curved SCM40's (the SLMT mid/bass drive unit :twisted: used in the curved SCM19's weighs more then a complete curved SCM11! :O ).

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

basshound

Sep 23, 2007
Visit site
For Rick and/or David

Can you tell me where the binding posts are placed on the new 40`s ? Are they at the bottom or higher up? Can`t find any pics of the rear of the new 40`s.

U

unknown

stevebrock - better speakers for amp - rubbish.

can i ask what system (plus rrp for each item) you have.

agree totally that the only way to pick speakers is after testing in your own listening room.

thanks

KiwiMoto

Apr 6, 2011
Visit site
Would be nice if the OP came back and posted their final decision and how it all ended up.

after reading the whole thread it's like someone ripped the last few pages out of the book haha.

Anyway, would the MF M1 PWR in monoblock mode be enough to do a decent job of powering the ATC SCM11's?

Pedro2

Nov 29, 2010
Visit site
Will hopefully be home auditioning the 11s in a couple of weeks time and driving them with a Roksan Caspian power amp. I will feedback my impressions afterwards. They sounded great in the shop but the acid test will be in our living room which has its own acoustic issues. Already ruled out the kef s owing to the rear port and potential for overblown bass.

KiwiMoto

Apr 6, 2011
Visit site
Yes, the rear porting could be problematic i've never had much success with that type of speaker in the past.

Very hard to get the bass 'perfect' imo.

TRENDING THREADS