new arrivals, focal 826v

well, hi all..

after weeks of being undecided about speakers, i finally took the plunge, and bought myself a pair of focal 826v speakers in piano black and ebony veneer finish.

they look stunning, and sound brilliant straight out of the box.

i was a little concerned that the arcam a70 would not have enought oomph to power them, how wrong was i!! it sounds as powerful as i'll ever need. clean, crisp and plenty of bass.

bought and collected from a place in welwyn garden city. well worth the 7 hour round trip!!

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
Arcam and Focal are a decent match.

The Focals are very efficient, but have plummeting impedance, so the amp needs a good power supply, which the A70 does, as it doubles its power into 4 Ohms. The upshot of this is that you should get a surprisingly powerful sound from this combination.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
RobinKidderminster said:
Doubles its.power into 4ohms? From 8ohms? Is that not simple phusics? Not wishing to be controversial but simply puzzled. :cheers:

That amp is 50W into 8 Ohms and 100W into 4 Ohms.......if you check, a lot of AB amps don't double their power as impedance halves (Class A and Class D often do though).

you learn something new every day in the world of hifi .

i was thinking i was going to need a high power integrated amp to power them, but the A70 is doing the business right now.

i sold my P85 power amp (partly to fund the speakers) but i definitely wouldn't have needed it.

i've got some spare speaker cable now , as the Focals only have one set of binding posts too.

iceman16

bigfish786 said:
well, hi all..

after weeks of being undecided about speakers, i finally took the plunge, and bought myself a pair of focal 826v speakers in piano black and ebony veneer finish.

they look stunning, and sound brilliant straight out of the box.

i was a little concerned that the arcam a70 would not have enought oomph to power them, how wrong was i!! it sounds as powerful as i'll ever need. clean, crisp and plenty of bass.

bought and collected from a place in welwyn garden city. well worth the 7 hour round trip!!

Enjoy..:cheers:

musiclover121

Apr 30, 2014
Visit site
i wonder did pure class a 35 watt can handle 1028be, anyway you must be very happy with ams, did you? i never tried ams35i but i've demo the ams100 and the best amp i've ever heard

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts