New Apple TV 4K 2021 vs old Apple TV 4K: should you upgrade?

Jordy15675

Apr 23, 2021
Visit site
Multiple references to “120Hz” and “supports120Hz” have been added to tvOS’ PineBoard in the latest beta release of TVOS 14.5, so expect in June an announcement to include 120Hz support in TVOS 15 at WWDC.

p_s

Apr 25, 2021
Visit site
The article says that the ATV box supports HLG? I thought it only supported DV and HDR10. I know there's mention of HLG in coding but I thought it wasn't implemented for consumer use (yet).

Is it possible to watch HLG content via the new ATV 4K box, for example by loading up something from the BBC iPlayer in HLG? Either the article is incorrect or it's possible and I just didn't know.

Jordy15675

Apr 23, 2021
Visit site
Again, HLG has been found in code form, but is currently not a user facing feature, this could also potentially turn up in a future update, especially for Apple Acard gaming like 120Hz support. My guess we’ll see an announcement on these specs in June at WWDC

abacus

Probably not worth to upgrade (You can buy the remote separate if you want that) unless you want a specific feature, general thoughts are that a newer version with a more a powerful Chip will be added (Probably towards Q4) and called TV Pro (Or some fancy name) as an addition to the current one available, so best to wait and see. (Unless you are one of those that must always have the latest no matter what)

Bill

kdbur

Dec 7, 2015
Visit site

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts