New Appartment

Jason36

Jul 23, 2008
Visit site
Hi guys,

I have just moved into a new appartment today......the room is an open plan lounge, diner kitchen approximately 25 foot long and 13 foot wide. It has carpets and two setees in the listening area...however it also has a floor to ceiling and wall to wall window.........

The only place I can realistically place my speakers (standmounts on Nexus 6 stands) is in from of the windows, probably about 2 foot away. My speakers are sealed rear with from ports. Is placing them here likely to play havoc with my sound reproduction??

Now I have this appartment I will be looking to upgrade my amp, cd and speakers in due course....when I do so and bearing in mind where they will be placed, would floorstanders provide a better sound reproduction or does it not really matter.

New Systems will be either Cyrus 8XPd and Cyrus 8SE with either New MA RS6 speakers / Spendor A5's or

Moon CD and Amp combo with Focal Chorus Speakers or

Naim Uniti with Neat Motive 2 speakers

What do you think guys, both on current speaker placement and also future upgrades with speakers??

Jason36

Jul 23, 2008
Visit site
What 63 views and no one can advice how putting speakers in front of a huge wall to wall window is likely to affect my sound??

Craig M.

Mar 20, 2008
Visit site
tricky to say, in my room there is a large window right behind my listening position, at loud volumes it acts like a bass trap by vibrating away some of the sound energy. bass frequencies will pretty much pass straight through the glass while higher frequencies will be reflected back into the room. so, it might make your system seem brighter. i have a thick throw pinned in front of the window (it looks through onto my hallway), which reduced the apparent treble by a small amount. i think the window helps in my room by stopping the bass getting out of hand at loud volumes. my g/f hates the throw being there!
emotion-2.gif

A

Anonymous

Luckily you speaker port if front firing it shouldn.t effect that much.

A

Anonymous

Bass is omnidirectional. Of course it will matter.

I'd say it shouldn't affect the sound as much as everyone thinks. Sure, the windows will vibrate along a little, but I'd say you won't need to worry about it. Treble dispersion, even on the best systems, is pretty limited, so I don't expect they'll play a huge part here either.

You'll probably end up with a dipole sound (see open baffle speakers) but with the bass response of normal speakers. Open baffle speakers are generally well regarded for their spacious and airy sound, as they sent sound both forward and backward. Your speakers won't send a huge amount backwards, but because the windows are so reflective, you'll get more back and hopefully, you'll like it.

If not, you can always get some curtains.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts