New Amp needed - integrated or two amps? and what sort of budget?

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
System is Quad CDP-2, Mission 752 speakers until recently bi-amped with Arcam Delta 290 and Alpha 9 amps. However the Alpha 9 power amp has just bitten the dust. Using the Delta 290 with speakers now bi-wired but sounds much thinner and lighter now. Listen to wide range of music - but mostly rock, blues, jazz and some classical. Like a musical sound with clarity but not overly clinical.

Any suggestions on sort of budget to look at and amps to shortlist for a dem to at least match what I had or hopefully slightly better it? Original components about £500 each roughly 10 years ago.

Obvious candidates are Quad 99 / 909 which seem well received and should be a good match for the CDP - but also interested in Arcam A38 which clearly underwhelmed this illustrious title but gets a great write up in Hi Fi Choice so perhaps a Marmite product.

Can an integrated for under £2,000 match or supercede my old combo? or will I be better with a two amp option?

Grateful for any advice to help start drawing up a shortlist and going for a listen

Cheers

Penfold

T

the record spot

Leema Pulse at £899 with Sevenoaks is a no-brainer shortlist item, Harman-Kardon HK990 at around the same money likewise IMO.

Check out the likes of Audio Emotion and Jordan Acoustics for good discounts on nearly new and warrantied items at way below RRP. The former has some more affordable kit, though JA does get the occasional item that falls in the financial limits most people are likely familiar with!

TheHomeCinemaCentre

Oct 1, 2008
Visit site
If you are looking at £2k ish then I would consider a new set of speakers along with the amp. Good as the missions are £1000 on speakers and £1000 on an amp should produce excellent results.

I would add the Exposure 3010s2 to the recommendations from The Record Spot.

A

Anonymous

Thanks for that - will definitely give it a listen. I picked Arcam amps before because they appealed at audition with quite a warm lush sound - but over time I did miss some clarity. At the time I bought those (10 yrs +) I auditioned Audiolab and Cyrus and though the detail was mightily impressive I found them far too clinical and cold for my taste so the A38 may be a good compromise by the sound of it

A

Anonymous

Indeed - this is another definite for an audition. I have seent the 909 and 99 have good reviews and in particular have been well reviewed in conjunction with the CDP-2. I know I could use it with the CDP-2 directly - but then I would have no phono stage and do still listen to vinyl as well. Does anyone know if the Arcam Delta 290P and Quad 909 can work OK together? then this would not be a problem. Of course the other possibility is to invest in the 99 as well as that has a well reviewed phono stage too.

The question is will I get better sound with two amps - ether by buying a suitable power amp to go with my 290P or a 99/909 combo or are there any intergrated options up to £2k that will give similar or better performance? - the A38 has already been discussed and I am also wondering about Naim Nait XS (or even Supernait if a deal can be found). I would also like to hear the Leema Pulse as suggested here - but struggle to find a local dealer - ditto the Copland CSA29.

Another suggestion here was to spend around £1k on amplification and £1k on speakers. Would this be a better use of the budget and would I get a significant improvement over my current Arcam/Mission mix? I had thought of improving the amplification now (as the power amp has died) and maybe upgrading speakers later when funds allow (with something like the Spendor A5 or A6's). Is it better to do this in stages or will the Missions let things down too much in the meantime?

Thanks for all the advice so far

Penfold

TRENDING THREADS