New amp for REGA RS3 speakers - Nait 5i, Leema Pulse 2, Brio-R, Exposure 2010S2

Fulci

Feb 2, 2011
Visit site
Looking for a new amp for my Rega RS3 speakers? Has anyone ever listened to a Leema Pulse mk.II or an Exposure 2010S2 connected to these?

Between these two and the Naim Nait 5i and the Rega Brio-R, which should be the best option? Has anyone ever compared any of these with the ones above?

Also, what is the minimum cable length for the Nait and the 2010S2? Older Naims and Exposure had a minimum length of 3m, does it apply also for the newer ones?

Thank you!

A

Anonymous

matthewpiano said:
If you can afford the Naim it is still substantially superior to the Brio-R IMO and an amp that should satisfy you for many years to come.

Sorry but what a load of rubbish...

Yes the brio-r is a lot cheaper but holds its own against the naim 5i, it is no way substantially superior to the Brio-R in any way shape or form..

THESTIG08 said:
matthewpiano said:
If you can afford the Naim it is still substantially superior to the Brio-R IMO and an amp that should satisfy you for many years to come.

Yes the brio-r is a lot cheaper but holds its own against the naim 5i, it is no way substantially superior to the Brio-R in any way shape or form..

I do note that mathewpiano says 'in my opinion' and he is perfectly free to say what he thinks.

I have not heard the Rega and , quite frankly, cannot get to grips with the Naim sound no matter what speaker they are playng through.

To the OP I would say go and have a listen to whatever you can find in your area. The Naim / Rega combo might very well be exactly what you are looking for - who knows!!

Alears said:
THESTIG08 said:
matthewpiano said:

I do note that mathewpiano says 'in my opinion' and he is perfectly free to say what he thinks.

I have not heard the Rega and , quite frankly, cannot get to grips with the Naim sound no matter what speaker they are playng through.

To the OP I would say go and have a listen to whatever you can find in your area. The Naim / Rega combo might very well be exactly what you are looking for - who knows!!

Well said.

I've not heard Rega speakers but recommendations are high with Naim and, of course, Rega amps.

I did hear the Apollo with my Leema but whether that synergy will translate well with Rega speakers or not I've no idea.

matthewpiano

Sorry, is it illegal to have your own opinion now?

I have heard both the Naim and the Rega extensively and I feel that not only is the Naim better built, but it also has a greater ability to grip a wider range of speakers, or at least this is what it sounds like to me.

The Rega is an excellent amp but I personally feel it falls some way behind the Naim or, indeed, the Roksan Kandy K2.

All in my own opinion of course.

Advice to the OP - go and listen for yourself and make your own mind up.

Fulci

Feb 2, 2011
Visit site
Hi! Thank you for your advices. Unfortunately, I am unable to hear any of these amps, except for maybe the Rega, which I hope to be available soon around here.

I don't mind buying them used and resell for the same price though, so I can test at home, which is the best place to test. But unfortunately, I am not able to compare them as the same time.

If I get anyone of these used for around £400, which should I get to replace my Audiolab 8000A? A remote control is mandatory, and a phono stage is a big plus.

Looking for the most musical and warm amplifier, with the best PRaT, but also better definition and larger soundstage.

Fulci said:
Hi! Thank you for your advices. Unfortunately, I am unable to hear any of these amps, except for maybe the Rega, which I hope to be available soon around here.

I don't mind buying them used and resell for the same price though, so I can test at home, which is the best place to test. But unfortunately, I am not able to compare them as the same time.

If I get anyone of these used for around £400, which should I get to replace my Audiolab 8000A? A remote control is mandatory, and a phono stage is a big plus.

Looking for the most musical and warm amplifier, with the best PRaT, but also better definition and larger soundstage.

Both Rega and Leema have fabulous phono stages, but really unsure about Leema/Rega speaker synergy. The Leema IMO is the best amp by a country mile, but I'm biased as I own one.

The Pulse has a big soundstage, times very well and the stereo imaging is superb. Whether you see that as a PRaT or not...

Can I assume you've already purchased the Rega speakers?

Dazmb

Aug 26, 2007
Visit site
If you want to go off the beaten track then do consider NVA (Nene Valley Audio) amps. They are very well suited to Rega RS series ( I can vouch for that with NVA AP20 amp matched with Rega RS1's).

A quick look around forums will show you many Naim owners with £k's worth of power upgrades that trade in to NVA and prefer the sound. You can try them at home and send back for refund if you don't like.

NVA amps need quite specific speaker cable though - best stick to their own but other suitable types listed on their fleabay pages for the amps.

Fulci

Feb 2, 2011
Visit site
Yes, I use them with an Audiolab 8000A, which is a decent amp, a bit dull and analytical and becomes a bit too bright sometimes. But is a very good amp for it's used price nowadays, don't think you can get much better than that. I will recap it soon, also.

But I need to upgrade for something better, specially because of the remote control.

I have been looking to those NVA for quite a while and they seem to be a great bet, and with his refund policy, there are not many reasons for not trying. Except they have no remote, unfortunately...

If I come to find a Leema Pulse II for around £400 I think I'll try. If it doesn't work too well with the RS3, I can always sell it for the same price. But I guess I will get the Brio-R first, as soon as I find another one used for an unmissable price...

Fulci said:
Yes, I use them with an Audiolab 8000A, which is a decent amp, a bit dull and analytical and becomes a bit too bright sometimes. But is a very good amp for it's used price nowadays, don't think you can get much better than that. I will recap it soon, also.

But I need to upgrade for something better, specially because of the remote control.

I have been looking to those NVA for quite a while and they seem to be a great bet, and with his refund policy, there are not many reasons for not trying. Except they have no remote, unfortunately...

If I come to find a Leema Pulse II for around £400 I think I'll try. If it doesn't work too well with the RS3, I can always sell it for the same price. But I guess I will get the Brio-R first, as soon as I find another one used for an unmissable price...

Very unlikely. Maybe worth keeping an eye on this one http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/LEEMA-PULSE-INTEGRATED-AMPLIFIER-/140805438169?pt=UK_AudioTVElectronics_HomeAudioHiFi_Amplifiers&hash=item20c8a87ad9.

You'll be hard pushed to pick-up a good condition Naim Nait 5i at that price. Generally the MKII Leema holds its price better than the MKIII.

mitch65

Dec 16, 2003
Visit site
plastic penguin said:
Fulci said:

Generally the MKII Leema holds its price better than the MKIII.

Yep, I think Leema got it totally wrong with the MK.III.

If that MK.1 (2?) on ebay keeps below £400 then that's a mighty fine amp for the money and, as you say, you will not get a Nait 5i for that.

Fulci

Feb 2, 2011
Visit site
Under £500 I guess. You can get any of the above amplifiers under £500.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&_trksid=p4340.l2557&item=320845679142&nma=true&rt=nc&ru=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.co.uk%2Fsch%2Fi.html%3F_sacat%3D0%26_nkw%3D320845679142%26_rdc%3D1&si=%252FZS1u8bHWnIZfFPxXmu2WWKmYjU%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc#ht_500wt_1413

The one you mentioned is already on the watch list.

Do you what are the diferences from the original to the Mk.II, and if there is any difference appart from the redesign and the DAC, on the mk.III? I do think the older ones are much better looking than the new Pulse.

It's just a matter of patience. The ones sold for £599 were all new.

Fulci said:
Under £500 I guess. You can get any of the above amplifiers under £500.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&_trksid=p4340.l2557&item=320845679142&nma=true&rt=nc&ru=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.co.uk%2Fsch%2Fi.html%3F_sacat%3D0%26_nkw%3D320845679142%26_rdc%3D1&si=%252FZS1u8bHWnIZfFPxXmu2WWKmYjU%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc#ht_500wt_1413

The one you mentioned is already on the watch list.

Do you what are the diferences from the original to the Mk.II, and if there is any difference appart from the redesign and the DAC, on the mk.III? I do think the older ones are much better looking than the new Pulse.

It's just a matter of patience. The ones sold for £599 were all new.

No personal experience of the new MKIII. I know, however, it is one of the best integrated amps between £1000-£1500. I've also heard it against a entry-level Bryston (£2100 approx circa 2009) and the Bryston eas £700-£800 better.

Crocodile

Jan 15, 2009
Visit site
Fulci said:
My understanding is that there is no Pulse II. There was however a Stream II CDP so when Leema released the Stream III & new amp, they wanted the numbers to match. Hence the Pulse III with no II.

I have no complaints with the sound quality of my Mk III but it does have some operational foibles.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts